Random Restarts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
BIOHazard87
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
It seems the problem with my V1 rebooting randomly might have been due to temperature. After someone noticed that the CPU fan threshold was 15C off from what it should be, I tried to lower the fan on temperature by 15C to 50c, which seems to have improved stability.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
well this has helped just a little with WiFi Speeds. but the range is just horrible. I am trying to find either a good high power AP, need to cover 2 floors 1500 SqFt each, or use an AP Mesh network that all the APs can be set up with Ethernet because each hop on a mesh network drops your speed in half. I was thinking about buying Open Mesh or Ubiquiti. I just can't decide do to mixed reviews. I think the open Mesh might work best with out needing controllers ETC. just plug in and let it work. still trying to find out how fast their throughput it.

By the way. I been absent for a while to wait and see if things are working. You will be happy to know that ALL of my issues with this router are solved, minus the Crappy Wifi, so the Asus RT-AC68U that i was using as an AP that the cat chewed on was in fact the issue. so glad I found that.
digisupport
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Had the same experience with random reboots almost dayly on a WRT1900ACv1 in a no stress network, placed optimal on a shelf plenty of airflow cooled room.
After lovering both treshold 20C its ran for 15 days with no reboots.Testing default setting it rebooted after 4 hours.

Stability is restored, no more reboots.

Edit: model corrected from ACS to ACv1

Last edited by digisupport on Thu May 25, 2017 20:47; edited 1 time in total
vit5421
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
How the new settings can help if according to my knowledge there is no fan in wrt1900acs? The wrt1900acs router can keep itself cooler much better and just doesn’t need the cooling fan. The advantage of this is that it’s one less thing to break and my units newer reboots.
Just wondering
LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
As far as I know, the WRT1900ACv1 is the only WRT with a fan.

https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=312142&highlight=ac86u
vit5421
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Exactly and even wrt1900 acv1 newer reboots with 85 fan on. Very strange
digisupport
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
vit5421 wrote:
Exactly and even wrt1900 acv1 newer reboots with 85 fan on. Very strange

Maybe i have a hardware failure then.
vit5421
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ic now that you have wrt1900acV1.
If i will have this problem and will forced to lower the setting from standard Linksys 85C to 45C (you said u lower default by 20) i will open the case and check the fan operation and dust on blades. Idk
zabolots
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
BIOHazard87 wrote:
It seems the problem with my V1 rebooting randomly might have been due to temperature. After someone noticed that the CPU fan threshold was 15C off from what it should be, I tried to lower the fan on temperature by 15C to 50c, which seems to have improved stability.

I've had my first bouts of instability (reboots) with my 1900ACv1 as well since installing

Code:
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r31924 std (05/02/17)

What do you mean by this:

Quote:
someone noticed that the CPU fan threshold was 15C off from what it should be

Are you saying that the temp readings shown in the GUI are off from the real temps, or that the default threshold temps are configured incorrectly?

Thanks...Scott
BIOHazard87
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
zabolots wrote:
BIOHazard87 wrote:

I've had my first bouts of instability (reboots) with my 1900ACv1 as well since installing

Code:
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r31924 std (05/02/17)

What do you mean by this:

Quote:
someone noticed that the CPU fan threshold was 15C off from what it should be

Are you saying that the temp readings shown in the GUI are off from the real temps, or that the default threshold temps are configured incorrectly?

Thanks...Scott

The threshold doesn't seem to work properly.

Setting the CPU max temp threshold at 65C will result in a ~80C CPU temperature. It's quite drastic. I'm at 21 days of uptime since lowering the threshold. Not one crash, best I've ever had I believe.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 13:16    Post subject: okay new issue Reply with quote
all of a sudden I can not connect to my wifi. worked just fine before I went to work, and now i am home, and nothing will connect to the wifi. My phone finally got on but says no internet connection. restarted router, no change, checked all wireless settings, no change. changed wifi password, no change, I can no use my wireless at all now. just random.....
JustinC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just upgraded to Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r33257 to see if there was a bug in the older firmware, no change
JustinC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
by the time some one replies I may have broken this POS over my knee and dumped it with gasoline and lit the MF of fire............. about to buy the Nighthawk X10 so pissed off!!! tired of this linksys POS
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Folks 2 things to keep in mind about reboots.

1. WRT1900AC V1 does not like the newer Linux kernel. The 4.9 kernel causes reboots both on DD-WRT and LEDE. The fix is still not known. The last DD-WRT firmware that used the older kernel was r31924. Folks seem to have good results with that. One of the folks over on the LEDE side makes a build with the 4.4 kernel and latest drivers, which also seems to work.

2. SFE on, the default, seems to cause routers to reboot. If on try turning it off. You may be surprised. It doesn't do any good if you have a download link of 300mbps or less from what I read.

Just a couple of thoughts.
--bill

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: