Is My Router "Positioned" Correctly in My Network?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
calabreb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 20:04    Post subject: Is My Router "Positioned" Correctly in My Network? Reply with quote
First post from a newbie... I want to install a VPN at home and wanted it to be router-based. I have a (Frontier) FiOS modem/router and also a LinkSys Wireless router running DD-WRT. My intention is to set up the LinkSys as the VPN device (which is why I flashed it with DD-WRT).

At this moment, all devices in my house, wired and wireless, are connected to the LinkSys but my fear is that a VPN set up on the LinkSys might not actually provide VPN protection because of the way I am connected to my FiOS modem/router. I could not get the network to function properly with the WAN port on the LinkSys connected to a LAN port on the FiOS router. Since the FiOS device provides the "modem" function I don't think I have an option to remove it. So the connection goes from a LAN port on the FiOS router to a LAN port on the LinkSys. DD-WRT on the LinkSys is set up as "Router" not "Gateway." So, does anyone know if VPN will work in this configuration or does my LinkSys device look more like a switch than a router?

A few more details:

FiOS Modem Router: Actiontec M1424WR rev 1
LinkSys router: WRT1900AC v2
DD-WRT: V3.0-r28788

I can provide more info if that's needed but thought I would start here hoping this may be a simple question.

Thanks!
Sponsor
stangdriverdoug
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Set your Fios modem into bridge mode. Then connect one of it's Lan ports to your dd wrt routers Wan port. Then if you log into your router. In the dd wrt interface you should be able to see your public ip address. Putting your modem in bridge mode bypasses any routing. You'll probably notice better network speeds too.
calabreb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the help, Doug. In looking through the settings in my Actiontec FiOS modem/router, I am not seeing anything that resembles "bridge mode." It is about an 8 or 9 year-old device. I think I am going to see if there is a way to eliminate this device and use the equivalent of a modem. Not sure Frontier will be very helpful with this but I'll give them a call. Thanks again for the response.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does this help?

https://www.hanselman.com/blog/SimplifyingYourNetworkWithABridgeMakingAnFIOsActionTecMI424WRANetworkBridge.aspx

What cable type do you have behind your FiOS (Coax, Ethernet, Fiber, Dsl)?
calabreb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the link, Berg. Actually, the solution listed under "New Option" uses my exact equipment! I'll need to study this a lot closer but it seems to be spot on for me. Thanks!

In answer to your question, my FiOS is fiber until it reaches the box (ONT?) on the outside of my garage. Then there is about a 40' run of coax into the Actiotec box.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's better to run a cat6 Ethernet cable from the ONT to your router and dump the FiOS.
calabreb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
When you say better, are you talking just speed? I am paying for 50/50 and typically getting 50/60+ so if it's only speed, I would probably skip the crawl through the attic.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 18:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Most routers do not have a coax interface, so you cannot connect to it.
calabreb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ahhh, yes. But the "New Option" leaves the Actiontec in place. So I think I'm good leaving the coax.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: