Can't access resources by hostname from OpenVPN client

begleysm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 22:02    Post subject: Can't access resources by hostname from OpenVPN client Reply with quote
I'm working on setting up an OpenVPN Server on my DD-WRT router. I'm mostly successful as I can connect to the server, access local resources by IP address and access external internet resources (such as www.google.com) by either IP address or name.

When I'm connected directly to my network (over LAN or WiFi NOT using OpenVPN) I'm able to access local resources by their hostname OR their IP instead of just their IP. I was able to set this up by modifying the DNS server settings as per this article (https://www.howtogeek.com/69696/how-to-access-your-machines-using-dns-names-with-dd-wrt/).

When I am connected as an OpenVPN Client I can access network resources by IP but NOT by hostname.

I suspect that my connected client is not using my router as its DNS server. Can anyone help me with my configuration so that OpenVPN Clients are directed to my router for their DNS queries so that I can access local resources by hostname?

Thanks,
begleysm
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: