bandwidth monitoring tools?

mcf57
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 18:04    Post subject: bandwidth monitoring tools? Reply with quote
I recently got TrueStream DSL internet installed in my home. Long story why, but I also want to be able to see how much bandwidth I have used during a month, but they don't seem to have any online tools like other ISPs in my area (Comcast and AT&T). Their supplied modem doesn't either.

I recently was reading online how DD-WRT firmware can be used to do this. Now, I do have to use their Modem/router, but I also have an older LINKSYS WRT54G router that I loaded DD-WRT on it and was using it as a 5 port switch over my network.

I am wondering if I could somehow use this DD-WRT converted switch if placed right after my DSL modem/router and before a 16 port NETGEAR switch in order to monitor and measure ALL internet traffic over my network.

Is this possible? If so, how and/or what settings do I need to access on the DD-WRT menus?
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
this buddy is an old fart and it will bottleneck you connection badly...unless you are running 20-30Mbit connection otherwise get powerful router with dual core CPU
and then run Yamon http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=289324

d0ug wrote:
The basic functionality you described is already built into DD-WRT. login to the web interface. Click on Status then WAN. You'll see a usage graph on the page there with the total per month at the bottom and also broken down by day.

p.s.those traffic counters in DD-WRT are very basic and they reset every time you restart the router if you are sure it will last a month without restart, (i doubt) you can try the basic option...also i don't think its very reliable + from time to time there are problems with traffic counter demon that's why i do not use it at all....i
turned off to save resources....if you want to use anything use Yamon

ATHF wrote:

Also, if it is a combo unit modem/wireless router from your ISP, you would need to set it in bridge mode (turn off wireless, and not have anything else plugged into it's ethernet ports other than your, hopefully newer router), or DD-WRT wouldn't count that data.

I do not know what you mean man.... and what you are talking about.....it doesn't have any sense to me.....
This Chap wants to plug his old WRT54 in between ISP modem and Switch, so to count WAN traffic
if he uses WAN port and NAT it will count whatever comes in however comes in, the only option that will not count traffic
is if it uses its LAN ports in a switch mode.....but that was not the goal at all...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913

Last edited by Alozaros on Wed Jun 07, 2017 14:08; edited 3 times in total
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:26    Post subject: Re: bandwidth monitoring tools? Reply with quote
mcf57 wrote:

I recently was reading online how DD-WRT firmware can be used to do this. Now, I do have to use their Modem/router, but I also have an older LINKSYS WRT54G router that I loaded DD-WRT on it and was using it as a 5 port switch over my network.

Also, if it is a combo unit modem/wireless router from your ISP, you would need to set it in bridge mode (turn off wireless, and not have anything else plugged into it's ethernet ports other than your, hopefully newer router), or DD-WRT wouldn't count that data.

Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
mcf57
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
this buddy is an old fart and it will bottleneck you connection badly...unless you are running 20-30Mbit connection otherwise get powerful router with dual core CPU
and then run Yamon http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=289324

Actually, this newly installed DSL line is a 18-25Mbs connection. therefore, would this older Linksys router with DD-WRT (& converted to a 5 port switch) work just as well for calculating network traffic?
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
well, in that case it will work, consider you'd need to
connect it using its WAN port and then set up your connection on WRT54, its better to have one NAT so you'd
also need to bridge your modem, and WRT54 will take care of NAT, DHCP, DNS ect...and eventually WAN traffic counter, do keep in mind if you restart you loose all counters...unless you use Yamon...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
d0ug wrote:
The total traffic at the top is the total traffic since last reboot, so that count is lost.

However everything in the graph and the monthly total under the graph is stored in nvram.

If you hover over the graph bars it will show you detailed incoming and outgoing traffic for that day where it shows the monthly total.

The buttons at the bottom let you backup, restore, and delete this data from nvram

d0ug wrote:
DD-WRT stores its bandwidth counters that generate that graph in NVRAM. I have easily had up to half a year of bandwidth usage been available until i needed to hard reset my router and forgot to backup the bandwidth data 1st. There are backup and restore buttons for that data on the graph page.

Alozaros wrote:
well, in that case it will work, consider you'd need to
connect it using its WAN port and then set up your connection on WRT54, its better to have one NAT so you'd
also need to bridge your modem, and WRT54 will take care of NAT, DHCP, DNS ect...and eventually WAN traffic counter, do keep in mind if you restart you loose all counters...unless you use Yamon...

DD-WRT stores gross totals on a monthly basis. YAMon stores per device data that is aligned with your ISP billing cycle. As suggested above, there is a YAMon thread in this forum, or you can visit my site at usage-monioring.com.

Let me know if you want more info.

Al
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: