wndr3700v2 keeps losing WAN connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Yippee38
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:52    Post subject: wndr3700v2 keeps losing WAN connection Reply with quote
I've got a Netgear wndr3700v2 that I was frustrated with because Port Triggering/Forwarding was not working. I read that dd-wrt fixed that. I've used dd-wrt on my old Linksys routers, so I decided to try it. Everything works great, except....

When I download large files (especially torrents or Steam updates [which always cause it to die]), I lose network connectivity. I also lose connectivity at random times. It seems to always happen around (+ or - 10 minutes) 12:30AM local time. I pull the power on the router for a few seconds and plug it back in. Then WAN connection is restored. This is not just my PC. It is the router's connection that it failing.

In an attempt to fix this, I downgraded my firmware to
DD-WRT v3.0-r30016 std (06/24/16). Same problem.

I know enough to get dd-wrt running on my router, and configure it (mostly basic stuff), but I have no idea how to go about troubleshooting this problem.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what may be causing this problem?
Sponsor
CanadaMoose
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the same router and it is rock solid, running the latest beta. If you haven't reset to factory defaults, make sure you do, as some old settings may be causing issues.

Not sure what connection speed you have, mine is fairly slow (10 Mbps), but your router may be getting overwhelmed. Watch your memory and CPU load around the time the connection is lost.

Other than that, try to disable the extras (e.g. QoS, VPN, UPnP ,...) to help narrow it down. Good luck!
Yippee38
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
CanadaMoose wrote:
I have the same router and it is rock solid, running the latest beta. If you haven't reset to factory defaults, make sure you do, as some old settings may be causing issues.

When I did the update to the most old version, I reset to factory defaults. I then restored my backup settings.

Quote:
Not sure what connection speed you have, mine is fairly slow (10 Mbps), but your router may be getting overwhelmed. Watch your memory and CPU load around the time the connection is lost.

Mine is also pretty slow. It's 50 or 60 Mbps. I did check the status of that stuff, and it isn't anywhere near maxed out.

Quote:
Other than that, try to disable the extras (e.g. QoS, VPN, UPnP ,...) to help narrow it down. Good luck!

I don't have any of that stuff enabled.
Yippee38
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok. So new info. When I lose connection, I can't even connect to the router.
Yippee38
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
How's this? Can anybody suggest any diagnostic tools that can help me figure out why my router keeps dying?
CanadaMoose
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
When you reset to factory defaults, you have to manually reconfigure your router. Reloading a prior backup defeats the purpose.
Yippee38
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah. Good to know. Thanks. I'll try that.
Yippee38
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I finally got a chance to reset my router to factory settings and manually enter all settings. The problem persists.

My wife discovered that although we lose wired connection, the wifi connection is not effected by this problem.

Does anybody have any other suggestions?
CanadaMoose
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you checked the WAN modem? If you loose connection, try to power cycle it instead of the router to see if that restores the connection. If so, check with your WAN provider about replacing the modem. Also, change the network cable to make sure it's not causing your issues.

If the above doesn't help, you could setup QoS and configure a low maximum bandwidth to see if the router is getting overwhelmed somehow.

Sorry for the trial and error suggestions, but it's hard to diagnose without some kind of error log.
pigtail
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yippee38 wrote:
I finally got a chance to reset my router to factory settings and manually enter all settings. The problem persists.

My wife discovered that although we lose wired connection, the wifi connection is not effected by this problem.

Does anybody have any other suggestions?

Yes, don't use backup config among different builds. I know it's annoying but I followed.

I have two wndr3700v2. Both of them are working fine but I haven't put them into p2p usage very often which is kind of like a stress test.

CanadaMoose's suggestion is one direction to figure out the cause is from your modem or your router. It's really weird the lost of connection happens in the same time period daily. Then my suggestion of putting a fan on the side to lower the router temperature might not be any useful. (That's statement of failure in a fixed time frame really bothers me. ) Confused

There's another workaround you could try: setup a "Schedule Reboot" under "Keep Alive". You force the router to reboot itself prior the time you know it'd most likely fail. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: