WDS: repeater no longer shows signal from main router

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
frankie_valentine
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 17:32    Post subject: WDS: repeater no longer shows signal from main router Reply with quote
DDWRT is great, thanks to the devs that spend their time working on this stuff.

I am having an issue with WDS on Linksys WRT54g(s) routers. I have been collecting these and have a few.
My 'repeater' router no longer gets signal from the 'main'. I have tried a third router as both the 'main' and 'repeater' with the same results. I basically saved the nvrambak.bin from both and loaded it back into different routers.

Currently I have them side by side with the repeater connected to the main. So I can access both.

My current setup is:

Router Name: DD-MAIN
Router Model: Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS
Firmware Version: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std - build 14896
CPU Model: Broadcom BCM4712 chip rev 1 

Router Name: DD-REPEAT
Router Model: Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS
Firmware Version: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/22/09) micro - build 12548M NEWD Eko
CPU Model: Broadcom BCM5352 chip rev 0

This is my first and have read the **read this**. I have read about similar issues with weak signal. but not no signal.

Thanks in advance

Frankie

main.PNG
 Description:
main info
 Filesize:  36.16 KB
 Viewed:  6127 Time(s)

main.PNG

repeater.PNG
 Description:
repeater info
 Filesize:  24.12 KB
 Viewed:  6127 Time(s)

repeater.PNG

Sponsor
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
"I basically saved the nvrambak.bin from both and loaded it back into different routers."

Did you change the MAC addresses in the WDS settings after you did this?????
Usually takes a bit of planning to setup WDS on multiple routers.
Get the correct wireless MACs from each unit.
Decide if you want both connected to main or 1 to main and 2nd conneceted WDS to 1st.... and go from there.

Most likely build 14929 will also be best for this on the old WRT54G units.
frankie_valentine
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 21:16    Post subject: WDS: repeater no longer shows signal from main router Reply with quote
Yes I have changed the mac addresses.

I have done this WDS setup a few times now for friends and clients.

The original setup was working and then it seemed that I had to reboot the routers to get them to sync. Then the issue I am experiencing.

I since tried other routers thinking that it could be a hardware malfunction. BUT nothing seemed to work. I have a total of 4 of those Linksys routers. I will try a setup from scratch but figured if the original setup worked... I would try to load the bin into different routers and just change the mac.

Do the Broadcom chips have to be the exact same build?

Other then MAC addy; what would do this. I do realize these are all old tech. BUT that's the point... breathing life back into old hardware.

Frankie
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not necessarily have to be same build but usually works best that way.
As mentioned 14929 works well ... used it for ages as WDS link between LANs.
I tinkered with these & WDS for ages.
A really good WDS build on these is 26866. .... probably the fastest on the WRT54 using WDS.
I'm stlll running a WDS link w/WAP54Gv3.1 ~ WRT54GSv2 at far end of my network.
Both running 26866. This is just for a bridge from house to shop.
The far end WAP54 attached to side of shop is wired to another WAP54Gv3.1 (running 31899) inside shop used as an AP.
Not ever over 2 ~ 3 devices on the AP but streams CNN w/no problem when I'm there Smile

Also know that many times the status bar don't show sometimes even if they are connected ... usually takes several minutes or longer before it gets straight ... happens on most builds after a reboot.
When first setting up it may be necessary to reboot all WDS devices at same time before they will connect.
After they have been connected for few days don't seem to have problem if one is down then back.... happens all time here and mine haven't had to be touched in very long time.
frankie_valentine
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 22:01    Post subject: WDS: repeater no longer shows signal from main router Reply with quote
thanks for the info.

I also have a WRT54G V4 and a WRT54G v5.

which routers do you suggest I use? the 26866 build?

Like your setup its just to bridge. I would like one main router for dhcp, and a second bridge... and I may want to add a second bridge.

Thanks for the help. I am going to go thru the whole setup again... but no sure how it would change.

How can I rule out a hardware issue? seemed that it was always the 'repeater' router that had no signal.

Frankie
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
you can use 26866 but you should probably update from a reset router ...then do the setuo.

If the site survey sees the other unit ok and you have MACs correct, SSID correct, PW correct, unique IP within sane subnet, disable WAN, disable DHCP, disable DNSmasq, have in router mode not gateway ----- there is no reason they won't connect. Reboot both same time.

You can always reset ...use regular AP mode see if router is working....
frankie_valentine
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:51    Post subject: cant connect with all devices Reply with quote
I have had the WDS working for a few weeks now. I used two WRT54G routers. The main is a WRT54G no ver, and the repeater is a WRT54G v4.

Unlike the setup i had a few months ago. I am finding that i cannot connect all my devices wirelessly. It seems like if i connect wired on either the main or repeater i get an IP and Internet.

What should i do? could this be because the main is an older router (well they are both old). I recall that my previous setup used a v4 or v5 for the main.

I have also read about upping the connections. I remember years ago i could do this without sending a command to the kernal.

Any suggestions?

Frankie
frankie_valentine
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 21:50    Post subject: cant connect with all devices Reply with quote
I ended up using a wrt54g v5 as the main. and it works. Wierd because the original (ver 1) has double ramm and double flash.

Frankie
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 0:35    Post subject: Re: cant connect with all devices Reply with quote
frankie_valentine wrote:
I ended up using a wrt54g v5 as the main. and it works. Wierd because the original (ver 1) has double ramm and double flash.

Frankie

oh wow .. didn't catch that before. Yea, the old wrt54Gv1 are just a core revision 4 the v5 is 9.
That makes lot of difference on some things...
most anything below core rev 9 won't do well with any builds made in last couple years.
They will do regular gateway setup but probably no repeater bridge and WDS probably flake out Cool
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 13:17    Post subject: Re: cant connect with all devices Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
oh wow .. didn't catch that before. Yea, the old wrt54Gv1 are just a core revision 4 the v5 is 9.
That makes lot of difference on some things...
Ha, ya details... Smile
The Gv1 also only ran at 125 MHz. Not too good for a gateway! 8-|

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: