Cannot get WAN IP with DDWRT on WRT3200ACM

succeededcoma
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 22:19    Post subject: Cannot get WAN IP with DDWRT on WRT3200ACM Reply with quote
If I am running the stock firmware I can get the WAN IP of my NVG599 gateway to hand off the WAN IP just fine using IP passthrough. I switched the firmware to the latest build of DD-WRT but it refuses to pull the WAN IP from the gateway.

Has anyone had any issues with this?
Sponsor
05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 15:19    Post subject: Re: Cannot get WAN IP with DDWRT on WRT3200ACM Reply with quote
succeededcoma wrote:
If I am running the stock firmware I can get the WAN IP of my NVG599 gateway to hand off the WAN IP just fine using IP passthrough. I switched the firmware to the latest build of DD-WRT but it refuses to pull the WAN IP from the gateway.

Has anyone had any issues with this?

It looks like dd-wrt changes the mac address from the orginal firmware by one digit. See attached images. This is the same router with a view of the mac from dd-wrt and the stock firmware.

I don’t know how your provider works so either you could try breaking/renewing the lease on the gateway or just spoof spoof the mac address in dd-wrt. See how my wan mac ends in :68 on the stock firmware and dd-wrt has it at :69

so for example if yours ends in :29 in dd-wrt try spoofing the last two digits to :28 and reboot, you have nothing to loose. Or if you still have the original firmware on the other partition boot back to that an verify it for yourself
sploit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 21:31    Post subject: Your addresses Reply with quote
Your WAN and LAN have the Same MAC address.
You cant do that.
Not sure how that happened. You see how both of those end in 69

Also, not to point out something hilarious you did, but you blocked out the first 6 Mac address characters. The first six are the brand of the router. Its the last 6 you want to block if you are trying to hide your mac LOL.

Make the WAN 68 and the LAN 69 for example.

Also...

If you just flashed ddwrt you need to physically reset your Cable Modem because the cable company equipment will block a new device it detects until a reboot.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 22:58    Post subject: Re: Your addresses Reply with quote
sploit wrote:
Your WAN and LAN have the Same MAC address.
You cant do that.
Not sure how that happened. You see how both of those end in 69

Also, not to point out something hilarious you did, but you blocked out the first 6 Mac address characters. The first six are the brand of the router. Its the last 6 you want to block if you are trying to hide your mac LOL.

Make the WAN 68 and the LAN 69 for example.

Also...

If you just flashed ddwrt you need to physically reset your Cable Modem because the cable company equipment will block a new device it detects until a reboot.
thanks for pointing that out and you're correct about the vendor's ID # so yes I forgot about that and you got me there so if you want to spoof my mac be my guest. However where you are wrong I didn’t change those mac(s), dd-wrt made those changes which I think caused the OP’s issue and why you chimed in.

I think the dupe mac issue is an ongoing issue. IIRC someone mentioned this once when Kong was still supporting the wrt1900’s but apparently it was never resolved. Granted it shouldn’t be this way but that’s how it is, if you have one these with this build yours likely has the same issue.

with our current ISP I could change routers on the fly all day long and it will get a new IP without rebooting the modem every time. However with our previous provider we had to break the lease on the WAN port side each time before we could change the router, or just spoof the mac so either method worked so that's why I replied...
sploit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 0:54    Post subject: Ok but... Reply with quote
I sell these...
I just sold one today..Grabbed its WAN IP fine. It has to because I VPN them.

I haven't had any problems.

However, there is another possibility.

It may have to do with NVRAM values or problems with the "set env" values on the MAC addresses in the boot system.

Not sure.

I would hook up a serial and manually see what the Mac addresses are set to with "printenv"

Last edited by sploit on Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:50; edited 1 time in total
05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ sploit, now you say you are selling these so may I ask what build you are selling them with and more importantly which build did you check and NOT seeing this issue on??? I have two wrt3200’s and just checked the other one and guess what, it also has the same mac address for the Lan & Wan using build r32402. As I said previously someone else found and posted this issue several months ago about the wrt1900.

But wait it gets better, just to confirm my previous comment I just dug out my wrt1900 out of storage and guess what again… same Lan and Wan Mac for the wrt1900acs with Kong’s r31791 build so I’m 3 for 3 here so you may want to revisit your inventory. So I’m thinking we should put the question to the big wrt3200 thread, what do you think?
ATHF
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just to add, maybe to the confusion...
Over the many releases I have used (be it the same or different MAC addresses, I have never had an issue getting a WAN IP after rebooting the modem).
Currently running what you see below, the 3200 and 1200 have the same LAN/WAN MAC, the 1900 does not....

Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
sploit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:46    Post subject: When I get back Reply with quote
When I get back I will pull a few out.

I will pull a wrt1200ac, wrt1900ac, wrt1900acs and a wrt3200acm down and get screen shots. "IF" this is happening on any of the units I will find out why.

BUT I can also tell you there are different versions of the bootloaders and all of my units are newer builds.

How old is your units?

Also, have you tried to manually change the mac using nvram set commands?

I have a theory this is only happening on older units with older boot loaders.

I believe its because they changed the bootloader mac variable names and the factory-to-ddwrt pulls from those variables and if it is a different name it cant pull from that variable.

I have actually been documenting the changes in the Linksys EA8500 bootloader variables they keep changing.

That sorta problem would have to be resolved by Brainslayer or Kong having both the old and newer versions of the bootloader to see the variables so they can have the factory to ddwrt image check both variables and then build the nvram appropriately or an upgrade build to check it also

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately I don't have time to see which bootloader is on each one right now, and never tried to change the MAC on any of them since they worked.
But I can tell you, I got the 1900V1 in October of 2015, the 1200V1 as a refurb in January of 2016, and the 3200 when they were released.

Velop:2 WHW0101, RE6500, RE9000(AP)
Spectrum - 1000/50
SysLog Watcher 5, New security Onion box coming soon, Fingboxes, PiHoles, NEMS, Cacti, rpisurv
sploit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:18    Post subject: Hey Reply with quote
@05dyna

I'd like to clarify something now that I think about it.

The WAN and LAN's do share the same MAC address on some of these routers, as in share the same actual hex values.

However, they do not share the same broadcast domains. This is how they can use the same MAC address hex values.

Personally, I don't like it that some of these companies do this (Its mostly to save money on purchasing MAC addresses, so they only have to buy 1 instead of 3 per router), BUT it shouldn't interfere with pulling a WAN IP and would only interfere if you were running a BRIDGE (because they would be on the same broadcast domain at that point). But even then the router knows how to handle this because of layer 3 switching, etc...

However I have one hooked up right now and its pulling its WAN ip fine. Infact, I think that would be a major problem everyone would be complaining about immediately if it was a problem nobody could pull a WAN IP.

The only thing I can think would be the problem is that your ISP doesn't like the MAC address or something.

However, I did have a customer who was on this ISP in Arizona called SkyWest I believe that their equipment would not pull a Wan IP because they Bridged it specifically to his old routers IP address and it wouldn't pull. It was a Linksys WRT1900ACS.

I cloned the Old Routers MAC and it then pulled the IP.

My Solution for you diagnosing if it is a DDWRT issue or a ISP equipment related issue is this.

1) Hook the WRT3200ACM up as a secondary router to your primary router on a different IP Broadcast Range such as 192.168.5.1

2) See if it pulls a WAN ip from the primary router.

If it does, then its the ISP equipment not wanting to authorize the MAC.

Now, here is another good piece of info.

Does your cable modem have a battery in it.

Most newer cable modems do, and to get them to actually reset you have to pull it.

The one I have will not reset at all unless the battery is pulled. Then I can force it to lose power and pull its new IP.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:42    Post subject: Also Reply with quote
To answer the question of the original poster of this thread.

This seems like a clear case of needing to clone a MAC address for the WAN (Use the actual MAC of the router).

The IP Passthrough expects a specific MAC address and you usually have to call your ISP for them to configure it for each new router you attach. DDWRT installs act like a new router because it changes the MAC addresses as pointed out in this thread also.

Your options are:

1) Clone the MAC address the modem wants.

2) Call the cable company and tell them to change the passthrough to recognize the new MAC.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 14:49    Post subject: Re: Also Reply with quote
sploit wrote:
To answer the question of the original poster of this thread.

This seems like a clear case of needing to clone a MAC address for the WAN (Use the actual MAC of the router).

The IP Passthrough expects a specific MAC address and you usually have to call your ISP for them to configure it for each new router you attach. DDWRT installs act like a new router because it changes the MAC addresses as pointed out in this thread also.

Your options are:

1) Clone the MAC address the modem wants.

2) Call the cable company and tell them to change the passthrough to recognize the new MAC.

courtesy of the dd-wrt shifting the mac address from the stock FW I think we already established that... it’s not like the OP introduced new hardware into the mix
sploit
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 16:32    Post subject: Agreed Reply with quote
Agreed. Totally.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found this thread searching for answers on my issue of a WDR3600 not updating WAN IP after reboot. I found the in this thread and the issue was enabling/checking "Use NVRAM for client lease DB" under Services.

Once is disabled/unchecked it, my router now will update the WAN IP upon reboot.

Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: