Linksys ea8500 port is ready

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 123, 124, 125  Next
jerrytouille
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:

Wondering why you would use RTS/CTS protection mode for 5Ghz wifi-ac? I thought that should only be for 2.4Ghz b/g.

Also why beamforming for 2.4Ghz? And why both ACK timing are 0?
Sponsor
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
jerrytouille wrote:

Wondering why you would use RTS/CTS protection mode for 5Ghz wifi-ac? I thought that should only be for 2.4Ghz b/g.

Also why beamforming for 2.4Ghz? And why both ACK timing are 0?

Beamforming in 2.4 is just hold over settings from testing TurboQAM....just didn't turn them off.
It makes no difference.
Have not tested latest build --- but recent previous builds Kong & BS TurboQAM still will not connect at 800...only 600.
I have NO clients that do TurboQAM but a 2nd ea8500 to play with sometimes...so I have no need for TurboQAM to be on.
Other settings work best for my clients and setup with the fewest errors.
You can see -
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1082855#1082855
showing what's what. I am pleased with it.

Edit:
These recommendations are about as good as you will find.
http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/QCA_wireless_settings
Also - my setup has ath0.1 & ath1.1 bridged but completely restricted from main network.
Two Chromecast on ath0.1 but are nearly always controlled by clients on ath1.1
Also couple smart TVs connected on ath1.1 ......some video clients work well from TV, some others work much
better thru Chromecast....plus I can cast the exact screen from any of my Android devices using Chromecast.
And also using unbound so everything goes thru it ...including clients connected to
its ovpn server.
When I get in and I think about it I'll show you some logs showing 'context switches' .....
.....DNSMasq does little for me but unbound works her ass off Smile

'bout all I know
zuzuzuzu
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 18:12    Post subject: Low speed on 3.4GHz Reply with quote
Thank you zGunBLADEz for the advice. Will try another flash post results.
jerrytouille
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
Beamforming in 2.4 is just hold over settings from testing TurboQAM....just didn't turn them off.
It makes no difference.
Have not tested latest build --- but recent previous builds Kong & BS TurboQAM still will not connect at 800...only 600.
I have NO clients that do TurboQAM but a 2nd ea8500 to play with sometimes...so I have no need for TurboQAM to be on.
Other settings work best for my clients and setup with the fewest errors.
You can see -
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1082855#1082855
showing what's what. I am pleased with it.

Edit:
These recommendations are about as good as you will find.
http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/QCA_wireless_settings
Also - my setup has ath0.1 & ath1.1 bridged but completely restricted from main network.
Two Chromecast on ath0.1 but are nearly always controlled by clients on ath1.1
Also couple smart TVs connected on ath1.1 ......some video clients work well from TV, some others work much
better thru Chromecast....plus I can cast the exact screen from any of my Android devices using Chromecast.
And also using unbound so everything goes thru it ...including clients connected to
its ovpn server.
When I get in and I think about it I'll show you some logs showing 'context switches' .....
.....DNSMasq does little for me but unbound works her ass off Smile

'bout all I know

Yeah every network is different so interesting to see other setups. In my case with the r7500v2, I use chan 1,6,11 and 20Mhz for my 2.4Ghz with no beamforming, no TurboQAM (those are overrated anyway for 2.4), 1500 ACK, and that works best. More bell and whistle is for my 5Ghz with beamforming.
cdzo72
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 16:08    Post subject: eSATA Port Multiplier Reply with quote
Good morning to everyone! I was wondering if the builds for the EA8500 have the port multiplier enable for the eSATA port. I've read in a couple of places that it was just a matter of a flag in the kernel, whatever that means.

The stock Linksys firmware supports it so it's be a great help if the DD WRT did as well.
Ah-Pin-Kor
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm new to EA8500 and qca models. I can't get my full wan speed on wireless with the latest few builds (basically all builds >= 31xxxM). I can get my max wan 200 down/up only with older builds like 30880M and 30700M but newer builds only get 90 or lesser. Wired connections are ok (full 200 for all old/new builds tried). My wireless settings are following the ones mrjcd posted. I'm testing with various devices like ipad 2017 and laptop with N7260.

Anybody can get 200Mbps or higher with the latest few builds on wireless?

Netgear R7800 kongpro 19.07 20190919 || Netgear R7000 36070M kongac (Client Bridge=5GHz, AP=2.4GHz with bridged VAP)
Linksys WRT32X davidc502 OpenWrt || Linksys WRT1200ACv1 Gargoyle 1.11.x
Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 dd-wrt 39956
zGunBLADEz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah-Pin-Kor wrote:
I'm new to EA8500 and qca models. I can't get my full wan speed on wireless with the latest few builds (basically all builds >= 31xxxM). I can get my max wan 200 down/up only with older builds like 30880M and 30700M but newer builds only get 90 or lesser. Wired connections are ok (full 200 for all old/new builds tried). My wireless settings are following the ones mrjcd posted. I'm testing with various devices like ipad 2017 and laptop with N7260.

Same thing with me, but i was talking to the wind and imaging things :/

There have to be something with the wan port not performing as it should.. As i see yours is cut in almost in half same behavior here wifi or wan to lan

https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287976&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=840

Check those builds in that post share your findings
05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah-Pin-Kor wrote:

I don’t have a 200mb service but since you said you are capped at 90mb I figured I’d chime in. We have a 100/30 tier and are generally over provisioned @ 116/37 with 10 ~ 12ms pings over an Ethernet connected desktop. I have no problem duplicating those results with the EA8500’s 5ghz band with my HP Laptop. Here’s a screen shot of my 5ghz settings and I use WPA2 Personal with AES for Security Mode, YMMV but note the antenna chain settings. Good luck.
Ah-Pin-Kor
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks @zGunBLADEz and @05dyna, for your replies.
After days of trying different builds and wireless settings, I settled on the latest Kong build 32170M. My wireless settings are basically following the recommended settings for the wiki qca settings. With this combo, I can get the full 200 down/up. I never had a problem with the wan/lan speed, just the wireless speed.

Netgear R7800 kongpro 19.07 20190919 || Netgear R7000 36070M kongac (Client Bridge=5GHz, AP=2.4GHz with bridged VAP)
Linksys WRT32X davidc502 OpenWrt || Linksys WRT1200ACv1 Gargoyle 1.11.x
Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 dd-wrt 39956
cactusme
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 23:42    Post subject: Installing DD-WRT on the Linksys EA8500 with USB to TTL Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
josh4trunks wrote:

is it normal for it take a while? I see see the following...
Load address:0x42000000
Loading:## Watning: gatewayip needed but not set
T T T T T T T ... (these seem to keep generating)
I'm wondering if I my tftp server isn't working properly.

Setup properly it takes about 10 seconds to write the firmware.
Go back and read every word I wrote and do exactly... don't add anything and don't skip anything.
The pics I added to that page to show exactly what you should be seeing. If not then you are not setup right.
There is also a serial log at bottom of page --

First time doing this. While reading your how-to, got a few questions:
1) When you say check device manager to see the PL2303, should the cable be connected between the computer and the router? Should the router be powered on? or off?
2) Connect ethernet cable to port 1.
Does that mean Connect ethernet cable from the computer to the router port 1? Not sure wht need the ethernet cable since there is a serial cable. So the computer has no other network access and the router has no other network connections.
3) Click on the power button of the EA8500 and within approx 1 second hit the ENTER key.
You mean power on the Router? (that means before that step the router is turned off). And Enter on the computer while the mouse is focused in the COM3 - PuTTY window?

Probably sounds silly, but want follow your steps exactly.
Thanks a lot!
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:45    Post subject: Re: Installing DD-WRT on the Linksys EA8500 with USB to TTL Reply with quote
cactusme wrote:
mrjcd wrote:
josh4trunks wrote:

is it normal for it take a while? I see see the following...
Load address:0x42000000
Loading:## Watning: gatewayip needed but not set
T T T T T T T ... (these seem to keep generating)
I'm wondering if I my tftp server isn't working properly.

Setup properly it takes about 10 seconds to write the firmware.
Go back and read every word I wrote and do exactly... don't add anything and don't skip anything.
The pics I added to that page to show exactly what you should be seeing. If not then you are not setup right.
There is also a serial log at bottom of page --

First time doing this. While reading your how-to, got a few questions:
1) When you say check device manager to see the PL2303, should the cable be connected between the computer and the router? Should the router be powered on? or off?
2) Connect ethernet cable to port 1.
Does that mean Connect ethernet cable from the computer to the router port 1? Not sure wht need the ethernet cable since there is a serial cable. So the computer has no other network access and the router has no other network connections.
3) Click on the power button of the EA8500 and within approx 1 second hit the ENTER key.
You mean power on the Router? (that means before that step the router is turned off). And Enter on the computer while the mouse is focused in the COM3 - PuTTY window?

Probably sounds silly, but want follow your steps exactly.
Thanks a lot!

1. To check if serial cable drivers are ok and your PC recognizes it
you only need to plug the USB end into your PC.....don't need router. Don't matter if it is plugged into router --- but router don't need to be on to check if your cable is ok.

2. Yes ethernet cable from PC to router... NO other network activity. PC set to static IP.
And of course serial cable from PC to router.

You should disable wireless on the PC if you have it.
The serial cable via PuTTy talks to the router boot loader.
The network cable sends the firmware to the router via TFTP.

3. Yes router should be off while connecting cables.
Make sure your serial cable is ok with your PC.... take note of its com number.
COM number will have to be set correctly in PuTTy so it can communicate.
When all is setup with PuTTY and serial cable is plugged in you can open PuTTy ... should give blank page
..... then you can use switch on router to turn it on. .... hit a key to stop the boot process.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 0:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
EA8500
DD-WRT v3.0-r32470M kongat (06/27/17)
Linux 3.18.58 #124 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jun 28 00:05:06 CEST 2017

http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-IPQ806X/
[ddwrt-Linksys-EA8500.bin 2017-06-28 23:05]

Can't go to ../Status_Bandwidth.asp
Throws up login over & over and syslog also records:
Jun 28 18:44:11 --- user.info : httpd login failure - bad passwd !
Jun 28 18:44:11 --- user.info : httpd login failure - bad passwd !
Jun 28 18:44:12 --- user.info : httpd login failure - bad passwd !
Jun 28 18:44:14 --- user.info : httpd login failure - bad passwd !
Jun 28 18:44:14 --- user.info : httpd login failure - bad passwd !
Jun 28 18:44:20 --- user.info : httpd login failure - bad passwd !
Jun 28 18:44:28 --- user.info : httpd login failure - bad passwd !
Jun 28 18:44:34 --- user.info : httpd login failure - bad passwd !
Jun 28 18:44:35 --- user.info : httpd login failure - bad passwd !
Jun 28 18:44:35 --- user.info : httpd login failure - bad passwd !

other than that -- looks okeydokey to me -- so I installed it on
da main router... ummm that was a bit spooky. Had no DNS local or other.
Did a power button kill and reboot but had to ssh using IP to the router.
Checked log and seen that unbound did not restart the final time after WAN up.
Manually started unbound and all working good...
I'm thinking about all this screwed up stuff but decide to do another reboot just to check.
It reboots and works just fine then. Unbound does her thing just like she is susposed to...
... so take whatever you want from all that. Probably time to clean the cobwebs out... it's
been a long time, many many builds. Most likely a simple reboot before the install would
have proved a wise thing to do. I tell people that's a good ideal especially after a long
run but I forget to do what I should.

oh yea the ../Status_Bandwidth.asp page is really broken -- no kidding same as posted here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1084360#1084360

Everything else looks ok so far --- and I don't have time to look at a bandwidth
graph page anyways Rolling Eyes
--
EDIT:
This baby is running like a champ so far --- up 2 hrs
Just gonna throw this log out here because I think it is weird as hell. Could cause installed
over BS r32464.... but that really shouldn't make no nevermind.
Looks during initial reboot after install unbound / ovpn / DNSMasq were all running over each other
and caused the minor malfunction. After last reboot (log of it towards bottom of page) it's all veddy smooth.
'r32470M_syslog'
05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ mrjcd I seen your post go up last night and went over top Kong’s r32170M Kong build which looks like it was originally released on 6/4 and re-released on 6/20. Up just over 10 hours with r32470M and so far so good. Generally I like to do a clean install every other build but will do so next time.

What I’m seeing is the web admin authentication box with username and password keeps coming up. I use Firefox. In the past once FF was open I could stay logged in until FF was exited. it’s not unusual for me to keep 6 or 7 tabs open for days on my desktop so don’t know if it FF or added security in this build? I suppose I could open it in IE and see if it behaves the same way…
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
05dyna wrote:
@ mrjcd I seen your post go up last night and went over top Kong’s r32170M Kong build which looks like it was originally released on 6/4 and re-released on 6/20. Up just over 10 hours with r32470M and so far so good. Generally I like to do a clean install every other build but will do so next time.

What I’m seeing is the web admin authentication box with username and password keeps coming up. I use Firefox. In the past once FF was open I could stay logged in until FF was exited. it’s not unusual for me to keep 6 or 7 tabs open for days on my desktop so don’t know if it FF or added security in this build? I suppose I could open it in IE and see if it behaves the same way…

Should be fine if you don't go to Status submenu Bandwidth.
Not around ATM but just remotely connected and double checked maun router and test ea8500. Only page that will cause the erratic login behavior is the bandwidth status graph page.
Does this with all browsers + FF & chrome on mobile.
Just some bad juju on that page.....they wil get it fixed soon. All else looks good.
05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ mrjcd thanks for the reply back. All the devices connected to the EA8500 seem to be working properly so that’s the main concern but will monitor..

EDIT/Update:
so much for everything working. I should have tested the wireless first before posting that one. I tried to connect two laptops as wireless clients and no go. I tried from one and then the other. On the first Win 7 laptop I could see the ssid(s) and good signal strength but it will not allow and connection.

I then tried my Win10 laptop to both the 2.4 and 5ghz bands and the result was the same. I could see the ssid but it would not connect. I booted back into r32170 and connected immediately
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 123, 124, 125  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 61 of 125
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: