brainslayer "never use windows editors on sourcecodes&q

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
stephensuley
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 14:11    Post subject: brainslayer "never use windows editors on sourcecodes&q Reply with quote
@brainslayer

Quote:
Changeset 32460
Timestamp:
Jun 26, 2017, 11:51:45 PM (15 hours ago)
Author:
brainslayer
convert back to unix format. never use windows editors on sourcecodes
(No files)

I saw this on trac...and wondered out of curiosity what issues occur when you do use a windows editor on source code?

and
Do you use vi for everything? nano?, pico? or some distro specific one like gedit perhaps?

Looking forward to your next build.

-Stephen

Latest and greatest builds Wink

Last edited by stephensuley on Tue Jun 27, 2017 14:23; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
jimfree
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is a difference in the way the end of lines are handled. Windows writes a carriage return + line feed (or new line as some say) (/r/n). Linux only expects to see the line feed. I've also learned from experience what happens if you use a Windows editor on Linux code, it's not pretty. There are editors available for windows that will save in the Linux format.
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I completely agree with Brainslayer on this. Windows also sometimes will put in special characters that will be filtered out but vim will show them and it makes the code ugly. To show and example:

Code:

#include <iostream>^M
^M
int main(void) { ^M
  std::cout << "Hello World" << std::endl; ^M
  return 0; ^M
}^M
^M

is what I got on a windows editor from someone, and the "^M" is annoying to no end.

Vim will usually detect the different return types and show a note at the bottom as [dos] formatted.
flipper9

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
God dammit, why don't the developers concentrate on fixing dd-wrt rather than dealing with this petty shiate. There are so many problems, fix the damn firmware and quit focusing on this shite.
flipper9

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 0:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why doesn't WDS work? (I've spent weeks working through this and been told that, well it just doesn't work)

Why can't we have multiple routers working together like may "mesh" products out there?

Why do we have one Kong release and Brainslayer release? One is secure apparently, one itsn't, who knows? I'm not an expert.

Why is the "database" so far out of date, it's laughable, and why hasn't it been taken down.

Why is the release notes post still sticky even though the maintainer hasn't updated it in close to a year, and keeps posting vitriolic posts to anyone that questions him not updating it.

I know the answer, it's open source. It's not updated. I run Linux myself as my daily driver, but it frequently disappointed because it's left to rot.

Buffer Bloat? As recently posted, DD-Wrt latest release sucks, massive bufferbloat.

Guest Wifi? Better review pages and pages of websites, no easy way to do this. Not expert? Tough luck!

It pains me to say this, and I really am an open source advocate, but DD-WRT sucks. The developers are great, but they don't listen. I've reviewed many posts, but they just don't see past their own situations. Not that manufactures make anything better, but DD-WRT just doesn't deliver. They don't listen. Maybe we don't give them enough money, maybe we don't stroke their egos enough. But it just isn't enough.

I'm sure I'll get banned for having the audacity for speaking up, but something needs to be said.
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 0:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
flipper9 wrote:
God dammit, why don't the developers concentrate on fixing dd-wrt rather than dealing with this petty shiate. There are so many problems, fix the damn firmware and quit focusing on this shite.

Sorry this hobbyist/enthusiast firmware doesn't live up to your expectations. Please submit a Support ticket for a refund.

Instructions for returning to stock firmware can be found in the forums.

Wired AP 3 Unifi Wifi 6 LR US 1Gb LAN
Syslog Services Asustor 7110T NAS 10GB
NetGear XS716T 10GB Switch
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/ (Brain Slayer)
YAMon https://usage-monitoring.com/index.php
flipper9

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
ddaniel51 wrote:
flipper9 wrote:

Sorry this hobbyist/enthusiast firmware doesn't live up to your expectations. Please submit a Support ticket for a refund.

Instructions for returning to stock firmware can be found in the forums.

Since you don't support the integrity of this firmware, why are you here? I'm sure since you have 948 posts and I have a fraction of that, my voice will be silenced.

And if you want to get all cocky about it, I was running DD-WRT firmware before you registration date.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Let's not get nasty. Registration dates mean nothing. For example my first account is older than this.
That said, your posts are still up but there is no need for personal attacks or foul language. Or I will remove or amend posts.

As far as buffetbloat, if I set qos, get an A on dslreports buffetbloat test.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
flipper9 wrote:

Since you don't support the integrity of this firmware, why are you here? I'm sure since you have 948 posts and I have a fraction of that, my voice will be silenced.

Integrity? I am amazed at the number and variety of units that BS writes for. I'd go bonkers trying to write for a fraction of those. Bugs? Expected. WDS and mesh? Not in my home though I worked on a few for the city I was employed by and they were primarily Cisco.

Kong writes for a small subset of routers some of which I use and am happy with. No complaints here.

Silence you? Nahh, we all need a humor break now and then.

flipper9 wrote:

And if you want to get all cocky about it, I was running DD-WRT firmware before you registration date.

BFD, so was I. At least I am respectful of BS and Kong so as far as I am concerned you can take your "shiate" and stuff it.

flipper9

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
ddaniel51 wrote:
flipper9 wrote:

Integrity? I am amazed at the number and variety of units that BS writes for. I'd go bonkers trying to write for a fraction of those. Bugs? Expected. WDS and mesh? Not in my home though I worked on a few for the city I was employed by and they were primarily Cisco.

Kong writes for a small subset of routers some of which I use and am happy with. No complaints here.

Silence you? Nahh, we all need a humor break now and then.

flipper9 wrote:

BFD, so was I. At least I am respectful of BS and Kong so as far as I am concerned you can take your "shiate" and stuff it.

Respect made. Can't criticize anything made by the creators though they are not listening to the users. I beg forgiveness. Can't expect any fixes if we don't beg forgiveness, genuflect, and say all kinds of crap. And I eat the "shiate" you are telling me to stuff in some part of my anatomy, you weren't very specific. If DD-WRT is supposed to be better than the firmware provided by the manufacturers then it needs to be made the best it can be. It should be criticized where needed to make it better. If you don't want it to be the best, then I question your motives.

As far as bufferbloat, I get an F on DD-WRT.

Look, I'm an overeducated computer geek, prior computer programmer, physician who deals with computer crap all the time. I've invested myself in many open source projects that have delivered and are great, make the world a better place. DD-WRT just hasn't delivered, it's best of breed (really) but not good enough. Criticism is the highest form of flattery. I love, and use DD-WRT on all my routers. But it's not enough, the developers won't listen, you won't listen for one, and I just don't have the time to fix it myself. So I advocate for everyone else shouting that something is wrong. Shut me up if you want, you won't be the solution to the problem.
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Strange, with my R8500 on a 300mb isp (Cox) with no qos I get all A's on dslreports.
mac913
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
flipper9 wrote:
Why doesn't WDS work? (I've spent weeks working through this and been told that, well it just doesn't work)

Why can't we have multiple routers working together like may "mesh" products out there?

Why do we have one Kong release and Brainslayer release? One is secure apparently, one itsn't, who knows? I'm not an expert.

Why is the "database" so far out of date, it's laughable, and why hasn't it been taken down.

Why is the release notes post still sticky even though the maintainer hasn't updated it in close to a year, and keeps posting vitriolic posts to anyone that questions him not updating it.

I know the answer, it's open source. It's not updated. I run Linux myself as my daily driver, but it frequently disappointed because it's left to rot.

Buffer Bloat? As recently posted, DD-Wrt latest release sucks, massive bufferbloat.

Guest Wifi? Better review pages and pages of websites, no easy way to do this. Not expert? Tough luck!

It pains me to say this, and I really am an open source advocate, but DD-WRT sucks. The developers are great, but they don't listen. I've reviewed many posts, but they just don't see past their own situations. Not that manufactures make anything better, but DD-WRT just doesn't deliver. They don't listen. Maybe we don't give them enough money, maybe we don't stroke their egos enough. But it just isn't enough.

I'm sure I'll get banned for having the audacity for speaking up, but something needs to be said.

This is not how you get help. I just see a bunch of complaints. Most people on the forum are going to ignore you and you have lost support from the BEST community forum with a lot of knowledgeable people who help for free if they have time. DDWRT is free and nobody owns you anything, start with that in mind. I too run it problems with builds where one configuration worked and now doesn't, either I update/change my configuration to a new build or stick with the one that works because my lack of knowledge and time. The forum search engine has a wealth of information. I see you are even having problems with Guest Wifi, if you are unwilling to spend the time to learn what DD-WRT has to offer, basicly it's not for you. You need full blown support and that is why there is a company called CISCO. Goodluck.

Off Site 1

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi & WireGuard - DDWRT r54517 Std
E3000 - Station Bridge - DDWRT r49626 Mega K4.4

Off Site 2

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi - DDWRT r54517 Std
E2000 - Wired ISP IPTV PVR Blocker - DDWRT r35531

YAMon 3.4.6 | DNSCrypt-Proxy V2
lollabie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
gotta agree with flipper9 on some of the criticism of dd-wrt though like the out of date database and the sticky update thread which is no longer maintained etc etc.
gguruusa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
so...step up (with either skills or $) or wait and be happy with what works. Crying like a baby is just annoying. Don't have coding skills? There are tons of things volunteers can do...like updating wiki posts and whatnot. Be part of the solution.
gguruusa
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Back on topic, the issue with using windows editors is not that some Linux editors can't deal with the change to line endings (get a modern editor), but that the change to line endings can affect multi-line strings. Because this change is an increase in the number of bytes consumed, you can end up with sizing issues.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: