DD-WRT Router as WLAN-Stick for a Computer

jarodv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 19:26    Post subject: DD-WRT Router as WLAN-Stick for a Computer Reply with quote
Hey there,

I hope you can help me. I am not new in configuring networks and also using dd-wrt.

I also searched various threads in this forum, and asked as well as uncle google.

My configuration:

Internet - Vodafone Router (acts as modem only + DHCP for entire network, 192.168.2.1, 2-99 static, 100-200 for dhcp)
-LAN-Cable-
Buffalo WHR-G300N/dd-wrt v24-sp2 (shares the internet via WLAN, Router mode, 192.168.2.2)
-WLAN-
Client mode: D-Link OIR-615/dd-wrt v24-sp2
-LAN-Cable-
Computer Win 7 Home 64bit

Vodafone Router to Buffalo works fine, also sharing internet via WLAN.

Now i want to connect the D-Link via WLAN in client mode to the Buffalo.
I tried a few different configurations, nothing works, except in the best solution the D-Link can access the internet, but very very slow, have a second subnet 192.168.3.1 and Nat is on, so I can't see other clients from the Buffalo Sad

Vodafone:

-modem
-DHCP range 192.168.2.100-200

Buffalo:

-AP in Router mode (not gateway!)
-clients via WLAN, DHCP Forward 192.168.2.1 (Gateway, DNS also set)
-Wan, Firewall, UPnP: off

D-Link:

-Client in Router mode?
-192.168.2.3?
-DHCP Forward 192.168.2.1?
-Wan, Firewall, UPnP: off?

I also tried to set a Route in Buffalo (Setup-Advanced Routing):
Target Network: 192.168.2.3
Gateway: 192.168.2.1
LAN&WLAN

Any ideas what is wrong, or how I can solve the problem?

Thanks so far.
Sponsor
Lennard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
So your Vodafone router and the Buffalo are connected by wire AND wireless? If that's the case, disable wireless on your vodafone router.

Then setup your Buffalo as an AP.
- DHCP server: Disable (not sure what DHCP forwarder means, just make sure server is disabled. The vodafone router handles this.)
- and connect the cable from the Vodafone router to one of the LAN ports on your Buffalo (or disable WAN if that works)
- Wireless: on

For the D-Link I think you're looking for this:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge#Qualcomm_Atheros

Manually set the IP addresses of the routers to ...2.2 en ...2.3 like you suggested.

I think the route in your Buffalo won't help you.

If everything is ok the Vodafone router will assign an IP to your PC.
jarodv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
No. Vodafone acts as Modem and DHCP Server.
Vodafone and Buffalo are connected via LAN only.

I do not want to repeat the wlan signal of the Buffalo with the dlink. I just want a wireless bridge from the Buffalo to the dlink, so the computer on the LAN port of the dlink receives an ip, has internet and can "see" all other devices in the network.

In my understanding I need a: client bridge.
But in the dlink are only ap, client, advocate, repeater and repeater Bridge are available.
Lennard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Then I think you have the DIR-615 with Ralink chip. Also I noticed that the page I linked to has a DIR-615 section. These instructions are for making a repeater, so instead of repeater bridge choose client. I think the other instructions are the same. In step 6 gateway and local dns must be ...2.1 (Vodafone router).

If your D-Link has an Atheros chip, I'm pretty sure you also need to choose Client.

Make sure you know exactly which HW rev. you have. See this list: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#D-Link
and be sure to mention it in your next reply.

Good luck.
jarodv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah the dlink have the ralink.

I was read the entire page, you have linked me in your previous post.
Was try it step by step, for repeater Bridge, also for client.

Client isn't working.
Repeater bridge is working, but with very slow internet(download is about 5 kbit/s).
When I go unter Status-wireless I see the connected AP: Buffalo, but with just a signal quality of 4%!
My mobile beside the computer, also connected to the Buffalo, does have near 100%!

Suggestions?
Lennard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe you should have a look at this:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=931249#931249
But that's for a 615 D1.
So again: please find out what your HW rev is in the Supported Devices list. This list has > 10 D-Link 615's in there, many of which have a Ralink chip.
jarodv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
My hardware rev. is D3 with RALink.
I tried all the possible ways: repeater-bridge and client in various configurations, I 've found in the forum.

No success, except can connect to the network but really slow internet access.

In the next days I will try a few other builds of dd-wrt.
Lennard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any luck so far?

I think your best bet is to install the latest stable version as described on this page: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/D-Link_DIR-615_rev_D3

You may also want to try 20 Mhz only. For some setups this my actually increase speed, depending on distance and other factors.

And be sure to use WPA2/AES (or no security at all for testing purposes). Other security settings may decrease speed.
I hope any of this helps.
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 17:52    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT Router as WLAN-Stick for a Computer Reply with quote
jarodv wrote:
Vodafone:
-modem
-DHCP range 192.168.2.100-200

Buffalo:
-AP in Router mode (not gateway!)
-clients via WLAN, DHCP Forward 192.168.2.1 (Gateway, DNS also set)
-Wan, Firewall, UPnP: off

D-Link:
-Client in Router mode?
-192.168.2.3?
-DHCP Forward 192.168.2.1?
-Wan, Firewall, UPnP: off?

I also tried to set a Route in Buffalo (Setup-Advanced Routing):
Target Network: 192.168.2.3
Gateway: 192.168.2.1
LAN&WLAN
Don't use DHCP Forwarder, and Client mode should be on a different subnet, like 192.168.3.1. Your modem is also the gateway, as its providing a private IP via NAT.

There was mention of a Client Bridge option on the D4. I wonder if the option just got removed later since apparently is known to not work for Ralink, but instead use Client and add routes (and disable the SPI Firewall); another suggested Repeater Bridge with MAC auth to only talk to the gateway. Did you follow the wiki setup? Do all the optional steps. Don't change any Advanced Wireless settings, at least until you have a working baseline.

Have you tried a GUI reset and manual setup; probably a good idea whatever you do. Or try a different build; I can't suggest what to use on Ralink devices, but 31899 has been good for Broadcom. Looks like a Ralink 615 worked fine with 31924, which was accidentally deleted from ftp.

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Lennard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried a similar setup and was able to get it working. The router with dd-wrt (v24-sp2) on it is a 10-year-old 150N router, so for me it wasn't fast either. Testing I reached an average of ~35Mbps with two AP's in the same room.

So my setup:
Modem -> (wire) -> AP (Asus/stock FW) -> (wireless) -> AP (150N router/dd-wrt) -> (wire) -> PC

- The modem is the DHCP server, its IP address is 192.168.178.1

On the 150N router (Atheros based) I used these settings:

Basic Setup
WAN Connection Type
Connection Type - Disabled

- Router IP -
Local IP Address - 192.168.178.5
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
Gateway - 192.168.178.1
Local DNS - 0.0.0.0

Wireless -> Basic settings
Wireless Mode- Client Bridge (routed)
Default GW Mode - Manual
Gateway - 192.168.178.1
Wireless Network Mode - same a other router
Channel Width - same as other router
Wireless Network Name (SSID) - same as other router
Advanced Settings - default

Wireless -> Wireless Security
Security Mode - WPA2 Personal (same as other router)
WPA Algorithms - AES (same as other router)
WPA Shared Key - same as other router

Setup -> Advanced routing
Operating Mode - Router. (I found that both Gateway and router work but during testing Router mode was 5-10% faster.)

I think that's it. My PC gets an IP-address from the modem and it is able to reach other devices on the network. There is still only one Wireless AP (Asus in this case) so I can only connect wired clients to the 150N.

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: