WRT3200ACM??

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 197, 198, 199  Next
aairon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hope when folks are saying the term "REBOOT" they are talking about an actual REBOOT and not something else that may be very similar.

These threads get so mangled and confused when folks start using a common term for every issue they have.

I'm not pointing a finger but the importance of accuracy when describing your issues can't be ignored.

If the info is accurate the issue will be resolved much faster.
Sponsor
rds2017
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
aairon wrote:
I hope when folks are saying the term "REBOOT" they are talking about an actual REBOOT and not something else that may be very similar.

These threads get so mangled and confused when folks start using a common term for every issue they have.

I'm not pointing a finger but the importance of accuracy when describing your issues can't be ignored.

The implied term "REBOOT" that has been said is regards to the router actually rebooting due to it having a critical crash of the software. (common terms are kernel panic due to backend is a flavor of linux).
kronflux
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
myersw wrote:

Wireless devices get confused when the 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSID is the same. I always use a different one for each. This is not a fault of the router firmware. Can use the same passphrase. I like have different so that I know for sure the device will always use the same wireless, 2.4 or 5.

yeah, I learned that recently actually. I mean, right now I only have mine set to the default dd-wrt for all adapters, because I'm focusing on the reboots rather than attempting to get my wireless working.
My issues with wireless are even with the networks being named and secured differently(different ssid, different password)

We're on about a day now, and no reboots! definitely seems that disabling SFE makes a huge difference. I don't know if it's the -cause- of the issue, but it certainly doesn't help matters.

I'm going to give it another day to be safe, then I'll start poking at my wireless to see if I can get a stable setup going. I'm at the point now where I'm going to try every single possible variation of wireless settings xD
gonna take hours.
aairon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
rds2017 wrote:
aairon wrote:

The implied term "REBOOT" that has been said is regards to the router actually rebooting due to it having a critical crash of the software. (common terms are kernel panic due to backend is a flavor of linux).

I hope you can bare with me here I'm not real clear about what you said so maybe you can tell me if my assumption when spoken about on these threads of a reboot is incorrect and maybe I have to reassess my thinking about what folks are talking about.

I have been under the assumption that a reboot is anytime the base firmware cycles through the BOOT CODE in the firmware (Caused by ANYTHING from code errors or intentional, in this case unintentional)), many times followed by some familiar LED activity changing colors and evidence that Temp files are gone.

So am I wrong The sooner I know the better off I am. Thanks for your input I think it's painfully obvious I know very little about Linux. Smile
sanderv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
135 pages into this thread, and still counting Smile Thanks for all the great work. My router seemed doomed, initially, but it has been running pretty good now for, what, a few months?

There is, though, the occasional hickup. Tonight I fell the need to reboot (lost WAN connection), then again an hour later, then seemingly the router not coming up anymore, so that I unplugged and plugged back in the power.

As a software developer, I'm a pretty technical user, but Linux networking isn't my strength. And I could use some pointers in troubleshooting this. More specifically: in being ready to troubleshoot this when it happens again.

I've enabled the syslog, but what other tools should I have ready to go, and what information should I capture before rebooting? (If I get a chance.)

Maybe there's some steps described in one of the 134 previous pages, feel free to point me there.

Much appreciated, Sander.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
sanderv wrote:
135 pages into this thread, and still counting Smile Thanks for all the great work. My router seemed doomed, initially, but it has been running pretty good now for, what, a few months?

There is, though, the occasional hickup. Tonight I fell the need to reboot (lost WAN connection), then again an hour later, then seemingly the router not coming up anymore, so that I unplugged and plugged back in the power.

As a software developer, I'm a pretty technical user, but Linux networking isn't my strength. And I could use some pointers in troubleshooting this. More specifically: in being ready to troubleshoot this when it happens again.

I've enabled the syslog, but what other tools should I have ready to go, and what information should I capture before rebooting? (If I get a chance.)

Maybe there's some steps described in one of the 134 previous pages, feel free to point me there.

Much appreciated, Sander.

Assuming you are running the latest release r32753, the first thing you should try out is disable Shortcut Forwarding Engine under Setup>>Basic Setup>>Optional Settings.
sanderv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
ad19 wrote:
Assuming you are running the latest release r32753, the first thing you should try out is disable Shortcut Forwarding Engine under Setup>>Basic Setup>>Optional Settings.

Uh-oh, missed that one. I am still on r32670. I searched back in the forum, is this the "deleted build"? I don't know where to find it.

The r32670 has only the following entries under Optional Settings:

Router Name
Hostname
Domain Name
MTU
STP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
sanderv wrote:
ad19 wrote:

Uh-oh, missed that one. I am still on r32670. I searched back in the forum, is this the "deleted build"? I don't know where to find it.

The r32670 has only the following entries under Optional Settings:

Router Name
Hostname
Domain Name
MTU
STP

Here http://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2017/
sanderv
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
ad19 wrote:

Thanks. Updated the router. That does have the "Shortcut Forwarding Engine". Disabled now. What does that do?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
sanderv wrote:
ad19 wrote:

Thanks. Updated the router. That does have the "Shortcut Forwarding Engine". Disabled now. What does that do?

Those who have disabled it have found the firmware to be running better, without reboots. The previous versions did not have this switch.
You should check if you are stable now.
rjih
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
rjih wrote:
Back to R32597 because policy based routing (OpenVPN) remains broken for me. It has been broken since the update following R32597.

Since I appear to be the only one reporting this issue, will someone who is using policy based routing please check your devices to determine if they are displaying the IP address associated with your VPN service.

For me policy based routing works perfectly with R32597 and prior updates. I am not using a restored configuration and the NVRAM is cleared prior to each update.

Borrowed a friends WRT3200 and installed R32670 and R32753. Policy based routing did not work on either of those builds, but did work properly with R32597. Policy based routing stopped working about the same time the current reboot issue began.
adri
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
rjih wrote:
rjih wrote:
Back to R32597 because policy based routing (OpenVPN) remains broken for me. It has been broken since the update following R32597.

Since I appear to be the only one reporting this issue, will someone who is using policy based routing please check your devices to determine if they are displaying the IP address associated with your VPN service.

For me policy based routing works perfectly with R32597 and prior updates. I am not using a restored configuration and the NVRAM is cleared prior to each update.

Borrowed a friends WRT3200 and installed R32670 and R32753. Policy based routing did not work on either of those builds, but did work properly with R32597. Policy based routing stopped working about the same time the current reboot issue began.

SFE is known to break QOS.
I think policy based routing would also suffer problems, since SFE is trying to bypass most of the normal kernel routing and processing, to achieve the maximum speed.
aairon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
This explains SFE in great detail.

https://www.google.ch/patents/US6842453
bg4drl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
New Kong's test build: DD-WRT 32805M - 2017/07/24
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
bg4drl wrote:
New Kong's test build: DD-WRT 32805M - 2017/07/24

Not sure why you posted this on a Linksys WRT3200 forum thread. If he has built a build for the wrt3200 then share the link.

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 197, 198, 199  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 135 of 199
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: