D-Link DIR-882 A1 AC2600

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Fractalis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:02    Post subject: D-Link DIR-882 A1 AC2600 Reply with quote
Hello,

I'm brand new to the custom router firmware community, so please bear with me.

I recently purchased a DIR-882 router which appears to be supported by dd-wrt build 33006 20170803. That date stamp is super recent! I can't find any info on this router in the forums, or any release notes (I'm assuming I'm just blind on that front). I've been reading through posts like the peacock thread but it mentions that it's for Broadcom only and most of these haven't been updated in years, so I find it all a little confusing/intimidating.

I'm pretty confident I can handle flashing the firmware, especially as I have a friend who likes to hack around hardware, but I'm nervous if this is actually a working piece of software for this router and if I'm just going to brick it if things are quite up to code as it were. I don't really want to spend another $200 on what's currently a brand new piece of hardware Smile

Any advice, tips, knowledge, etc. that you guys can provide me to help with this project? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Sponsor
Fractalis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's are 2 more targeted questions:
This router is not listed in the Router Database, but it is in the Supported Devices list.
What is the difference between the two lists?
Am I safe to install the version listed in supported devices and have things work?

Thanks
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't use the router database. Follow the supported devices page.
You maybe he only one with this router. Try it.
D-link routers have a recover mode. Google d-link emergency room.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update: Build 33006 appears to have worked on this router! I'm still messing with settings and trying to figure out how everything works, but it's at least up and running!!
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've got a dir-878 on the way which is the same router minus USB ports. Curious to see how it compares to my r7800, rt-ac68p and wrt1900ac.
I wanted one of all the major chipsets. Lol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Small issue?
When I look at the advanced wireless settings for the 5GHz band, they match the 2.4GHz options. Even the transmission speed talks about the same slower speeds of up to 54Mbps. More importantly for me; I don't see anything talking about MU-MIMO which this router supports. Any ideas why I'd have identical settings showing for WL0 and WL1 advanced?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Working well on my dir-878 which is the same unit minus the USB port.
There is no CPU or radio temperature readout. May be a limitation of the chipset.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
here's a highly experimental dd-wrt image, based on GLIBC, kernel 4.9.58-rc1, and some of the nvram utilities provided in the dlink romfs (GPL code).

latest FW (serial only atm, unfortunately): https://www.sendspace.com/file/n1u3t6 last update 21102017 04:51GMT (nvram logic seems complete. still working on default values to put in NVRAM so services fires up full speed; debugging output removed; added raeth-qdma; sysctl, inadyn, wrt-radauth/supplicant/dnsmasq updated![/b]

pastebin of latest directory tree: https://pastebin.com/cabZBCdA **last update 15102017 04:51GMT

(21102017 04:51 GMT) seems all that is left is creating a set of default nvram values, sorting out the directory tree to accommodate programs that will be called by services, which i hope will include automatically configuring the network side. any input/advice on these parts would be appreciated. so in other words, i expect anyone who has some experience with configuration to be able to load this fw and have it fully operational....

UPDATE (21102017 04:51 GMT)
some changes in the past day:

• work on RC/libutils/services/shared began on 17102017. currently some, but not many tools are functional.

• i have made significant updates to libutils' oid.h file, which had some structs for bigendian (!!).
    • nvram utility via rc is functional for the most part (apologies for debug prints, but they're needed).
    • many things still need work, but i think the kernel update made this a good time to post an updated fw.

[tentatively deemed COMPLETE on 20102017 05:00GMT] (or so i think. testing it) bridging the logic of the broadcom nvram for the ralink nvram is tricky. i have made progress but one core case remains (when a variable isn't defined, we need to return -1 not 0, because some variables have "" values and unset variables in ralink's nvram have "" value by default (meaning we have to check the "name" of the variable AND the "value" (two sets of chars)). i'm working on it though...[/b]
  • THIS LIST WILL BE UPDATED WHEN I AM NOT GOING HAM ON RC/SERVICES/LIBUTILS. i'll make a tidy list of the updates my dd-wrt spin has compared to my contemporaries (eko, kong, slayer)
  • .(edited 15102017 23:03GMT) IPTABLES has been updated to 1.6.1

• pppd has been temporarily removed to make space for the larger iptables; it may be back when the release is finalised;

• RALINK's gpio, reg, qdma, eth_mac, flash, hw_nat, nvram_daemon and ralink_init tools from the SDK's "rt2880_apps".
  • (added depmod/modinfo symlinks; called ralink's makedevlinks early. re-included switch_7530 [it's needed]; added ralink's system_init program just to get a feel for what's needed in case i can't get bcm's services to play nice w/ ralink's nvram chardev; 16102017 17:30GMT: kicked i2c-mt7621 for vastly better ralink i2c [driver reports i2c major 218, which is correct per makedevlinks script])

(log of boot up and initialisation of radios after opening eth2--i.e. APSoC): last update 09102017 05:00GMT
https://pastebin.com/XkaGz2F8

---
older (but important) post that shows the radios are in full 4x4 mode...:
important things to note in the bootlog that convey significance are the radios now booting up in full 4x4 mode:
Quote:

SYNC - BBP R4 to 20MHz.l
mt7615_apply_dcoc() : reload Central CH [8] BW [0] from cetral freq [2447] offset [2400]
MtCmdGetRXDCOCCalResult:(ret = 0)
mt7615_apply_dpd() : reload Central CH [8] BW [0] from cetral freq [2442] i[45] offset [4bf8]
MtCmdGetTXDPDCalResult:(ret = 0)
MtCmdChannelSwitch: control_chl = 8,control_ch2=0, central_chl = 8 DBDCIdx= 0, Band= 0
BW = 0,TXStream = 4, RXStream = 4, scan(1)

sing it with me:
A P S (oh) O C
show you what you mean to me

A P S (oh) (oh) CEE-uh!!!

what's left?
1. fix libutils/services/rc's usage of libnvram.so so that it doesn't fail to initialise.
- i think this won't be that difficult, as i see new options from the libnvram in the RALINK SDK that enables the use of a readwrite file, like the one broadcom's RC needs. fingers crossed!
2. i think that's it (???) i'll update this if/when i think of other stuff.

cheers eh

------

(old, probably september 2017 sometime; preserved to convey it's a SEMI GLIBC, NOT FULL [yet]) edit5: i have managed to call the statically-linked (to glibc) bash inside busybox, and it seems to work. it uses busybox for all the missing programs (like ls, etc) though lol. still encouraging to see! i suspect the bash is limited by the uclibc library as it is called through busybox, but still!!!

here's the dump:

edit6: confirmed, glibc is being blocked by the firmware for whatever inexplicable reason. here is the attempt to call rc from the statically-linked bash, which results in the process being killed off and the router rebooting (this is all done using the build provided above, with my [unrelease] ddwrt rootfs):

Quote:

* snip dross to improve readers' experience*

bash-4.4# command rc
usage: rc [start|stop|restart]
bash-4.4# command rc start
bash-4.4# exit
# reboot: System halted

i am pretty sure if it was a linking error it would have said "cannot find library libc.so.6". the fact it gave usage output suggests that it did find the libraries and it's something else...

---
(moved to section with ldconfig output, originally posted 13102017ish)
the (semi) GLIBC issue has been isolated to either the bootloader and/or the kernel's boot process.. it has nothing to do with the way i set things up (see below)

14102017 20:51GMT/15102017 04:45 GMT
houston, we have a problem. mitt (romney) won't give up control of "his" devices easily, even though we paid for them (typical mitt. thinks everything is his without paying a freakin' dime. freakin' loser).

it turns out the issue with the broadcom nvram is precisely related to mmap/shm_opening (i.e. memory mapping) a mknod. i am not sure if there's a way around this. i tried creating a file descriptor for a file stream object (fopen + fileno), instead of the typical way (open), but the program then crashes at assigning the descriptor to the stream.

it seems assigning/handling a file descriptor to a mknod object that will be treated as a shared memory object isn't standardised (even though the build is POSIXLY_CORRECT). this behaviour is in line with the failure to call glibc programs directly after init, and also the issue i experienced with using GNU mount/umount prior to interactive mode.

here's the snippet of the correctly-generated ld.so.cache for the tree shown in the pastebin, which still results in the same "Attempted to kill init! exitcode=0x00007f00" panic. i only pursued this avenue because i wanted to ensure the ld.so.cache wasn't the issue (and it's not).

LDCONFIG OUTPUT ON ROUTER AFTER GENERATING LD.SO.CACHE
Quote:

sh-4.4# ldconfig -r /mnt -v
ldconfig: Warning: ignoring configuration file that cannot be opened: /tools/etc/ld.so.conf: No such file or directory
ldconfig: Can't stat /tools/lib32: No such file or directory
ldconfig: Can't stat /tools/lib64: No such file or directory
/tools/lib:
libutil.so.1 -> libutil-2.26.so
libcom_err.so.2 -> libcom_err.so.2.1
libproc-3.2.8.so -> libproc-3.2.8.so
libgcc_s.so.1 -> libgcc_s.so.1
libiw.so -> libiw.so
libblkid.so.1 -> libblkid.so.1.0
ld.so.1 -> ld-2.26.so
libc.so.6 -> libc-2.26.so
libuuid.so.1 -> libuuid.so.1.2
libgudev-1.0.so.0 -> libgudev-1.0.so.0.2.0
libext2fs.so.2 -> libext2fs.so.2.4
libm.so.6 -> libm-2.26.so
libpthread.so.0 -> libpthread-2.26.so
libresolv.so.2 -> libresolv-2.26.so
libnsl.so.1 -> libnsl-2.26.so
libopcodes-2.29.1.so -> libopcodes.so
librt.so.1 -> librt-2.26.so
libstdc++.so.6 -> libstdc++.so.6.0.24
libbfd-2.29.1.so -> libbfd.so
libe2p.so.2 -> libe2p.so.2.3
libdl.so.2 -> libdl-2.26.so
libcrypt.so.1 -> libcrypt-2.26.so
libnvram.so -> libnvram.so
libss.so.2 -> libss.so.2.0
ldconfig: Can't create temporary cache file /tools/etc/ld.so.cache~: No such file or directory

Last edited by broly on Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:55; edited 53 times in total
broly
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 22:05    Post subject: static g++/gcc/binutils is a success Reply with quote
greetings everyone.

even though we are locked out of superuser land because of "the losers" i've mentioned before, here is a log of a successful compilation (small program sure) on the MT7621 platform (mipsel-none-linux-gnu target) using gcc.

Quote:

sh-4.4# gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/mnt/root/bin/../libexec/gcc/mipsel-none-linux-gnu/7.2.0/lto-wrapper
Target: mipsel-none-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../gcc7/configure --prefix=/tools --libdir=/tools/lib --build=x86_64-cross-darwin14 --host=mipsel-none-linux-gnu --target=mipsel-none-linux-gnu <SNIPPED BY BROLY>
Thread model: posix
gcc version 7.2.0 (GCC)
sh-4.4# g++ -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=g++
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/mnt/root/bin/../libexec/gcc/mipsel-none-linux-gnu/7.2.0/lto-wrapper
Configured with: ../gcc7/configure --prefix=/tools --libdir=/tools/lib --build=x86_64-cross-darwin14 --host=mipsel-none-linux-gnu --target=mipsel-none-linux-gnu <SNIPPED BY BROLY>
gcc version 7.2.0 (GCC)
sh-4.4# cat t
tmp/ tools/
sh-4.4# cat /mnt/root/bin/test.c
#include <stdlib.h>

int main() {

printf("Hi\n");
}

sh-4.4# pwd
/
sh-4.4# cd /mnt/root/bin
sh-4.4# rm a.out
sh-4.4# gcc test.c
test.c:1:10: fatal error: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
#include <stdlib.h>
^~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
sh-4.4# gcc -I/mnt/root/include test.c
test.c: In function 'main':
test.c:6:2: warning: implicit declaration of function 'printf' [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
printf("Hi\n");
^~~~~~
test.c:6:2: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'printf'
test.c:6:2: note: include '<stdio.h>' or provide a declaration of 'printf'
sh-4.4# ./a.out
Hi
sh-4.4# ar
Usage: ar [emulation options] [-]{dmpqrstx}[abcDfilMNoPsSTuvV] [--plugin <name>] [member-name] [count] archive-file file...

the more verbose output (ar/as/readelf/objdump/gcc/g++ --help commands) is below.
https://pastebin.com/vKyTpSGe

truly grateful to be here, and not live in fear of being persecuted for being an independent thinker. don't know if i'd get that opportunity in any other country.

this is for you, SIR (doctor) MacKay, Sir TIM (you guys should know who this is), and of course, HRH HM!!
shadowjig
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:30    Post subject: Re: static g++/gcc/binutils is a success Reply with quote
My wifi keeps dropping on the 882. Any tips on how to troubleshoot it?

broly wrote:
greetings everyone.

even though we are locked out of superuser land because of "the losers" i've mentioned before, here is a log of a successful compilation (small program sure) on the MT7621 platform (mipsel-none-linux-gnu target) using gcc.

Quote:

sh-4.4# gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=gcc
gcc version 7.2.0 (GCC)
sh-4.4# g++ -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=g++
gcc version 7.2.0 (GCC)
sh-4.4# cat t
tmp/ tools/
sh-4.4# cat /mnt/root/bin/test.c
#include <stdlib.h>

int main() {

printf("Hi\n");
}

sh-4.4# pwd
/
sh-4.4# cd /mnt/root/bin
sh-4.4# rm a.out
sh-4.4# gcc test.c
test.c:1:10: fatal error: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
#include <stdlib.h>
^~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
sh-4.4# gcc -I/mnt/root/include test.c
test.c: In function 'main':
test.c:6:2: warning: implicit declaration of function 'printf' [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
printf("Hi\n");
^~~~~~
test.c:6:2: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function 'printf'
test.c:6:2: note: include '<stdio.h>' or provide a declaration of 'printf'
sh-4.4# ./a.out
Hi
sh-4.4# ar
Usage: ar [emulation options] [-]{dmpqrstx}[abcDfilMNoPsSTuvV] [--plugin <name>] [member-name] [count] archive-file file...

the more verbose output (ar/as/readelf/objdump/gcc/g++ --help commands) is below.
https://pastebin.com/vKyTpSGe

truly grateful to be here, and not live in fear of being persecuted for being an independent thinker. don't know if i'd get that opportunity in any other country.

this is for you, SIR (doctor) MacKay, Sir TIM (you guys should know who this is), and of course, HRH HM!!
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
how is this router so far? the dir-878 is priced well here which is the same hardware as the 882 (looks like stock fw limitation to 3 streams instead of 4).

-does it have airtime fairness setting? or could anyone provide a screenshot of full wireless settings for the radios?

-whats the max wan throughput with & without qos if someone has multi routers/pcs to test with?

-whats the max 5ghz ac 80mhz & 2.4ghz 20/40mhz throughput on lan?

-hows wifi latency at idle to the router on each band? lots of 1ms or <1ms or 3ms+?

-if all leds dont function, which ones dont?

-anyone with multi routers, how does client mode (or repeater, whichever wording mediatek uses) PLUS a vap work? ex: host router is 10.1.1.0/24, client dir-882/878 is 10.2.2.0/24 on a diff subnet, with a virtual ap on the same interface broadcasting. the vap works with wpa2 and all? doesnt take several reboots after setting it? this is a key part where broadcom fails hard. cant repeat well.

-does qos have both htb & hfsc for packet schedulers, & sfq, codel, fq_codel for queuing discipline at least? if pie is also there its a bonus.

-does qos interface/netmask/mac priority sections offer wan max down/up columns or ONLY priority?

-lastly an output of cat /proc/interrupts would be nice.

thank u to anyone that can provide all or some answers.

[QUALCOMM] R7800 ---------------> DD-WRT v3.0-r33555 std
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 ------> DD-WRT v3.0-r33555 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L ------------> DD-WRT v3.0-r33555 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L ------------> DD-WRT v3.0-r33555 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 --------> DD-WRT v3.0-r33492 std

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

Love you AM never forget 10/26/2013..

RIP dad 1945 ~ 2017..
MESTORM
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the DIR-878 and the attached two images show you the basic wifi settings that are available as well as the QoS settings as well. The QoS page does have both HTB and HFSC available for packet scheduling. Additionally, all of the LEDs on the unit do function properly, as for your other questions I will have to test them later to find out.

[quote="tatsuya46"]how is this router so far? the dir-878 is priced well here which is the same hardware as the 882 (looks like stock fw limitation to 3 streams instead of 4).

-does it have airtime fairness setting? or could anyone provide a screenshot of full wireless settings for the radios?

-whats the max wan throughput with & without qos if someone has multi routers/pcs to test with?

-whats the max 5ghz ac 80mhz & 2.4ghz 20/40mhz throughput on lan?

-hows wifi latency at idle to the router on each band? lots of 1ms or <1ms or 3ms+?

-if all leds dont function, which ones dont?

-anyone with multi routers, how does client mode (or repeater, whichever wording mediatek uses) PLUS a vap work? ex: host router is 10.1.1.0/24, client dir-882/878 is 10.2.2.0/24 on a diff subnet, with a virtual ap on the same interface broadcasting. the vap works with wpa2 and all? doesnt take several reboots after setting it? this is a key part where broadcom fails hard. cant repeat well.

-does qos have both htb & hfsc for packet schedulers, & sfq, codel, fq_codel for queuing discipline at least? if pie is also there its a bonus.

-does qos interface/netmask/mac priority sections offer wan max down/up columns or ONLY priority?

-lastly an output of cat /proc/interrupts would be nice.

thank u to anyone that can provide all or some answers.[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: