Network Setup with two Internet connections

anode85
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 18:39    Post subject: Network Setup with two Internet connections Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm trying to setup my network at home. The network setup currently looks like this:

* There is a Non-Configurable Internet Router called "Office Router"

* There is a Configurable Internet Router called "Private Router"

* There are several computers that connect to the Office Router via WLAN or LAN (using the DHCP service of the Office Router).

* There are several computers that connect to the "Private Router" using LAN / WLAN.

* There is a ChromeCast that should be using the Internet of "Private Router". ChromeCast can ONLY work with DHCP - no static configuration possible.

* There is a NAS and a printer (connected via LAN) that should be accessible from all computers in both networks.

-----------------------------------------------

My current setup is as follows:
* All computers that should connect to the internet via the "Office Router" use DHCP.
* The "Private Router" is connected via LAN to a dedicated router running DD-WRT.
* The DD-WRT router runs a WIFI.
* The DD-WRT router is set to "Bridged Mode" and connects the "Office" network to the "Private" one.
* Clients that should connect to the internet using the "Private Router" are configured with Static IP Addresses, and use the DD-WRT Router as their Standard-Gateway.

So far this setup works, but has two major downsides:
* All devices that should use the "Private Router's" Internet must be configured to use static IP addresses
* The ChromeCast can ONLY connect through the "Office Router's" Internet as this is the one running the DHCP service.

-------------------------

The optimal setup would be:
* All devices should be configured using DHCP.
* There should be two DHCP instances:
** One that serves the "Private" devices
** Another one that serves the "Office" devices.
* The DD-WRT device should route traffic between these two networks, so that:
** Devices from the Office network can connect to the Private network and vice versa (Private computers should be able to access the NAS and the Office printer)
** Devices served via the Office DHCP group should connect to the internet using the Office router
** Devices served via the Private DHCP group should connect to the internet using the Private router

Is there any way I could set this up?
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Connect the WAN port of the dd-wrt router to a LAN port of the Office Router.
Connect a LAN port of the dd-wrt router to a LAN port of the Private router.

Set the router in "Router" Mode.

What ip addresses is used?

Use separate sub-nets for Office and Private side.
anode85
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
That was quick! Thanks for the suggestion Smile That actually sounds really easy.

I assume DHCP requests will this way never be routed through the DD-WRT router, but normal requests will, right?

Currently all machines in the network operate in the 192.168.1.x network. The only exception is the private router, which runs as 192.168.8.1

With the new setup, all 'private' devices will share the x.x.8.x network while all 'office' ones remain on the .1.x subnet, right?
anode85
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm...
I'm afraid that didn't work.

I have a few additional questions:
* Where does the DHCP server for the private network run? On the Internet router ot the DDWRT one?
* What Gateway do I specify in the DDWRT Setup page?
* How should the DHCP service be configured?
* Should I enable dynamic routing or disable it. If enabled, on which interfaces?

After setting up everything I could not access any device in the office network. Tracert shows that the DDWRT router did not forward requests to the office nework.

I'm sorry for asking stupid questions but I am unfamiliar with all the options in DDWRT.

Would it be possible to describe the required settings a bit more in detail?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
WAN interface:
IP address: 192.168.1.2
netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (IP address of Office Router)

LAN interface:
IP address: 192.168.8.2
netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.8.1 (IP address of Private Router)

You said that the DHCP server for 192.168.1.x is running on the Office Router.

The DHCP Server for 192.168.8.x can run on the Private server or the dd-wrt router.

The Office Router needs a route to 192.168.8.0/24 via 192.168.1.2
The Private router needs a route to 192.168.1.0/24 via 192.168.8.2

You can enter them as static routes on the Office and Private routers or set RIP Router on dd-wrt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: