QoS question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 23:26    Post subject: QoS question Reply with quote
Hello,

Have a few questions setting up QoS.

(1) If I need to restrict bandwidth of just one device (using MAC address), should I set up QoS to do for just ONE device?

While doing this, what values should I put for max upload/download? my speedtest values or the bandwidth that I want to restrict this device to?

If former, then I use my speedtest values for upload/download and use Priority value "Bulk" or WAN max down and WAN max up?

(2) What happens if I want to restrict bandwidth of a bunch of 30 IPs? How would I do that?

(3) If I have a device that gets highest priority then how would I achieve this along with (1) OR (2)?

(4) I could use the steps outlined in http://www.panjitresna.com/limit-user-internet-bandwidth-on-dd-wrt-router/ to generate command script.

How would one "undo" settings that were changed when a script was run?

Please let me know if I have not explained the above properly or if there is any confusion.

Thank you for your assistance.
Sponsor
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 20:21    Post subject: QoS Reply with quote
Most of your questions are answered here: https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Quality_of_Service

I would advise against using a script, because they can be harder to undo. If you must ask that question, it is best not to run the script.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 23:29    Post subject: Re: QoS Reply with quote
[quote="ian5142"]Most of your questions are answered here: https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Quality_of_Service

I would advise against using a script, because they can be harder to undo. If you must ask that question, it is best not to run the script.[/quote]

I'd gone over that link but don't think it addressed my specific situation - What happens if I create QoS for just ONE device? Does that work when other devices are not in QoS and if so what values should I enter for download/upload etc. etc.

Perhaps there is some information that gives you gurus some idea but this 'novice' needs a bit more hand holding.

Thank you for you assistance.
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 0:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
first, well what do u think will happen if u enter in only 1 device? then that device is controlled by qos.. i dont really get what ur asking about that, or why

second, the wiki link does suggest what to enter for max down/up limits, so does the integrated help section on the right side within the firmware when on a specific page.

the limits on top are global limits for the line, have 1 device active for 8646465464, assuming the router can take the load, and u have that bandwidth from the isp, speeds wont exceed those entered & (mostly) be under proper latency control so its not slow and laggy.

a limit u put beside a device (netmask or mac) or interface, is the limit specifically for that device, or group of devices (ip range), which obviously, would have to be a limit equal to or less than, total allowable limit (globals) on top.

there is a number of bugs and problems with our qos since forever, depending how its setup & what ur needs are, im not going to bother going all into those unless i see u running into one with the setup ur wanting in the end.

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="tatsuya46"]first, well what do u think will happen if u enter in only 1 device? then that device is controlled by qos.. i dont really get what ur asking about that, or why
[/quote]

As I mentioned in the OP, right now my need is to limit bandwidth on ONLY ONE Device. That user is the one hogging all bandwidth. Hence my question about adding one device to QoS and leave others as they are.

If that cannot be done and once QoS is enabled and all devices need to be listed in there then do people add/remove entries in QoS when adding/removing devices?

Perhaps IP ranges come in the picture then but that means allocating IPs while adding devices etc.

Do not know if I explained properly what I want. Please let me know.

Thanks
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:22    Post subject: Static lease Reply with quote
Add a static ip lease for the one device you want to limit.

For QoS:
Then put in the global limits at the top.
Add the ip address of the single device set the priority or speed accordingly
Then add the ip range of the DHCP server, set priority or speed accordingly.

Click apply.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:50    Post subject: Re: Static lease Reply with quote
[quote="ian5142"]Add a static ip lease for the one device you want to limit.

For QoS:
Then put in the global limits at the top.
Add the ip address of the single device set the priority or speed accordingly
Then add the ip range of the DHCP server, set priority or speed accordingly.

Click apply.[/quote]

Instead of static IP, can I not just use the MAC address of the device? There is a reason for that and would need more explanation.

So, in QoS, I put global limits (speedtest ones) and later on down set priority and speed.

Thanks for your assistance.
nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:47    Post subject: Re: Static lease Reply with quote
Think I've done it.

Enabled QoS, left ALL settings to default except the following:

added values for
Downlink
Uplink

added a MAC address with
WAN Max Down, WAN Max Up, LAN Max - all set to 5120 kBits

Priority - Manual - as want this device to get no more bandwidth than what is set, no matter what else is connected.

Please let me know if I missed anything or need to modify anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: