NAT to Port?

dreslick
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 0:29    Post subject: NAT to Port? Reply with quote
Hello! A couple of years ago, I installed DD-WRT v24-sp2 (01/20/15) mega - build 25974 on a Linksys E4200 for my church. I set it up with VLANs to work with two other access points and to separate the office and public traffic. The public side has address 10.10.3.2 and its subnet mask is 255.255.0.0. There are 400 addresses allowed in the pool.
The system works well through the week, but when Sunday comes, and some 250 WiFi clients try to get on, it slows to a crawl and soemtimes doesn't work at all. This has been an ongoing problem. If someone is around and can power cycle the router, it seems to fix itself.

Not being a professional, I called one in. He is asking how dd-wrt handles itself when it runs out of addresses. He said some systems will start giving the same address as others, but will assign a different port. What is it called? Does dd-wrt do this? Does my logic make sense (too many clients overwhelm the hardware)?

Thank you for reading through this.
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Defsult NAT Connevtions in dd-wrt is 4096.
You can see how many is used in the Ststus Page.

250 wifi clients to the same ap is to much.
dreslick
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
250 wifi clients to the same ap is to much.

The E4200 handles all DHCP.

If I set up another AP for clients (WRT 54GL with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/19/12) vpn - build 18777), will that help out? How do I get half the clients to use one AP and the other half to use the other?
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Put them in different locations. Clients will connect to the one with the strongest signal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: