DCHP Reservations set, but not handed out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
giles02134
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:28    Post subject: DCHP Reservations set, but not handed out Reply with quote
I'm migrating from an older router with an older version of DD-WRT.
My new router is WRT1900ACS.
DD-WRT v3.0-r33342

I have 14 or so static leases that worked just fine under v.24, but under this version on the new router, are not all working.

Everything looks as it should, included the dnsmasq.conf file, in terms of the MAC addresses, IP's, etc., but the actual devices are getting random IP's instead of the addresses I've assigned.
On the Setup page:
    DHCP set to "Enable"
    Use DNSMasq for DHCP is checked
    Use DNSMasq for DNS is checked

I've attached the settings for dnsmasq. I've got a LAN domain set (xxxxx.lan).
Used Domain is set to LAN and WLAN.

The DHCP range starts above all the static IP's. Static are all 192.168.1.1xx, and the assignment range is 200-250.

I probably have missed something, and would be grateful if anyone could suggest what it is.
Sponsor
giles02134
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I believe I got this fixed. I deleted all the static leases, and re-added them, making all static IP's within the range 2-100.

I reset DHCP to provide non-static IP's starting with 101.

I rebooted the router, and everything started to work. Not sure why this worked, but it is suggested that static leases be outside of the randomly assigned DHCP range.
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Glad to hear you got it working. This is normal to have the static leases outside of the dhcp pool.

Thanks for updating with fix so others can learn.

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
giles02134
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oddly enough, static leases within the DHCP pool weren't an issue with v. 24 on my Trendnet TEW-818-DRU. Could have simply been dumb luck.

On the WRT1900ACS, by deleting all the static leases, and starting fresh, I was able to create a more orderly scheme for static/random assignments.
giles02134
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:32    Post subject: Report on DD-WRT v3.0-r33342 std on WRT1900ACS Reply with quote
I am pleased to report that aside from a small bump with DHCP reservations (of my own doing), and an install issue (also of my own doing), this build appears to be running quite well on my router.

I'm not doing anything really unusual; nor have I tweaked any of the many WiFi settings that are tweakable.

I'm running two primary networks, (2.4GHz and 5GHz, one on each interface), and a VLAN on the 2.4GHz interface as a "Guest" network that uses a different DHCP range.

So far, so good.
giles02134
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 13:06    Post subject: Guest Network redux Reply with quote
I started with r33342. All went well until I attempted to add a VAP.

On my WRT1900ACSv2, the first interface is the 5GHz, and the second is the 2.4GHz.

I added a VAP to the second interface with the default basic settings (added a password, of course). The SSID wasn't broadcast. Someone suggested adding a second VAP to this interface. That SSID was broadcast. However, there's no way that I could see to delete the 1.1 VAP without first deleting the 1.2 VAP.

I restored from a backup config, and began again, this time on the first interface (5GHz). This appeared to be working well...at first, but I then realized that it screwed up the primary SSID, broadcasting it, but not allowing connections.

Again, restored from backup.

My next attempt was to upgrade to the newest release, r33345, repeating the same steps above. I was able to get a VAP to broadcast on interface 1 (5GHz), but again, it screwed up the primary SSID...I couldn't connect to it.

So, I'm back to square one. A number of folks have made helpful suggestions about how to add a guest VAP, but none of them have worked. I'm wondering if the router itself is defective (a refurb, purchased directly from Linksys), or it's just a question of trying subsequent releases of DD-WRT.

I'd be grateful to hear from anyone with similar experiences with this router (or any in this family), and a recent release of DD-WRT.

ISP: Verizon Fios
NAS: ReadyNas314
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: