Printer on WAN

bmccartney
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 20:13    Post subject: Printer on WAN Reply with quote
I have a Linksys WRT54GL v1.1 running DD-WRT v3.0-r33006 mini (08/03/17). It is a secondary router that provides internet only to lan/wlan devices connected through it. It is hard wired to my primary working network switch.

I want to be able to print from the secondary network to a printer on my primary network. I know how to use port forwarding to go from a primary device to a secondary printer, but I am lost in going the other direction. Any help in the right direction is greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
bmccartney
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for the reply jxm.
I do understand I can setup that way, but I do not have dhcp on my primary network and I will need it for the computers connecting to the secondary network. I was hoping to keep the primary and secondary networks separate (and use something along the lines of port forwarding for the printers), but I am open to configuring as an access point if I can:
A. block access to all "WAN" devices and
B. Allow access to a WAN printer and
C. Provide DHCP to all secondary router clients.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do you intend to use a HP Jetdirect Printer on port 9100?

What clients, Windows, Mac, Linux etc.?

On Windows, you don't need to see the printer under Network Neighbourhood. Just create a printer on the IP address and port 9100.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yea, what Per Yngve Berg says will work.
or if using local DNS on main network you should be able to access printer by its name.domain .... need to have 'No DNS Rebind' disabled on the WRT54GL for this to work.
bmccartney
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 20:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry all, I thought the forum would email me about replies. I have that turned on now.

I believe the clients will all be windows machines and the printers are Ricoh Aficio models. I have a Ricoh on an access point where I used port forwarding with the ip address and port 9100. It works great.

I will attempt the other suggestions tomorrow and let you know how it went.

Thanks again.
bmccartney
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
So as it turns out I needed to add the printer by IP address and leave the default port of 9100. I also went in to the router and changed the "no dns rebind" to disabled and "Local DNS" to enabled. Print jobs are completing as expected. Thanks everybody for the assistance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: