Netgear R6300v1 DD-WRT flash, issues and possible brick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mpelley92
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 22:58    Post subject: Netgear R6300v1 DD-WRT flash, issues and possible brick Reply with quote
Hi everyone. First time poster, long time DD-WRT user.

I bought a used Netgear R6300v1 the other day, hoping it would replace the useless TP-Link routers I keep buying and of which keep failing.

I started by using the router the way Netgear intended it be used, but was running into nothing but issues, wirelessly that is. I would get timeouts and pings of 300-1200ms to the gateway of my modem. It happened with all wireless devices. It effectively killed my ability to surf the internet, watch Netflix and play online games.

So I decided to follow the instructions for installing DD-WRT on the router. The flash went well, but I still had issues with latency.

I then decided to install "dd-wrt.v24-33375_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-R6300.bin" from the beta ftp webpage.

That's where everything went downhill. After the flash, only an orange light with no other activity. When connected wired, there was no response from pinging the gateway (192.168.1.1). I thought it was toast, done, gone, garbage.

I Google'd "unbrick netgear r6300" and came up with a couple websites that suggested tearing the thing apart and connecting via the RS232 serial header on the board. I'm used to connecting to things via serial (I'm an Instrument Technician by trade). So I fired up PuTTy and connected up my serial-USB adapter.

At first I didn't get anything, so I swapped around the RX and TX until I finally got some data.

However, it's not your standard data. I'm not feeling to good at this point, that the router is recoverable.

Any input would be great fellas.

IMG_20170920_163843.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  245.57 KB
 Viewed:  6707 Time(s)

IMG_20170920_163843.jpg

Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Probably your putty settings. Google dd-wrt serial recovery.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Probably your putty settings. Google dd-wrt serial recovery.

Already done. I have it set at 115200 bps, 8-N-1 with no hardware flow control.

I'm using a serial to USB adapter from The Source, (in Canada) from what I read on that DD-WRT page for serial recovery, it needs to be TTL? I'll have to purchase one of those. Hopefully then I can actually read what it's spitting out.

I'll update when I get one of those cables.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is the problem.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
you should looking for usb serial ( not ttl serial or rs 232 serial) like cp2012 which compatible almost router uart serial due to voltage , current, latency, timing, driver, update...etc.. over voltage could kill cpu, over current could screw boot rom inside Soc, latency too bad may give what you are right now, timming not right may give some fatal wrong....etc.... if you want wireless uart serial then you can get hc-06 ( few bucks) bluetooth that you can control from android device by a app call Blue Term 2.
mpelley92
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
deslatha wrote:
you should looking for usb serial ( not ttl serial or rs 232 serial) like cp2012 which compatible almost router uart serial due to voltage , current, latency, timing, driver, update...etc.. over voltage could kill cpu, over current could screw boot rom inside Soc, latency too bad may give what you are right now, timming not right may give some fatal wrong....etc.... if you want wireless uart serial then you can get hc-06 ( few bucks) bluetooth that you can control from android device by a app call Blue Term 2.

Thanks deslatha for the informative post. I ordered this module from Amazon, hoping it will allow me to properly talk to my router.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00HSX3CXE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems as if I need a FTDI, from what I can gather. This module seems to do quite a bit. I would assume rx and tx connections are standard 3.3v? Looks like that module can also switch between 3.3v and 5v.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I put a link in the serial recovery guide for the type of adapter to use....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's an update for everyone. I received that FT232RL chip in the mail, took apart my R6300 and ran some breadboard jumpers to outside of the case for easy access.

After first time connecting it, I opened PuTTy, set things up properly, and finally had some legible messages.

There was a ton of information and when I scrolled to the bottom it had something like "Checking crc (or cnc)...

Anyways, it stopped working after that. No more messages. I did a reset, 30-30-30 and still nothing. Even tried pressing CTRL-C a whole bunch of times but nothing received back.

Since I'm talking to it using the proper hardware, does anyone have any more advice or guidance on what to do next?
Wildwild
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi,

I had the same issue and it took me a long time to work it out. It turned out that you have to use Putty and the right TTL RS-232 USB-RS232 adapter and the CTRL_C will work then and you should see the text properly Smile

Just follow the instructions of the links below:

https://www.myopenrouter.com/article/how-debrick-or-recover-netgear-r7000-r6300v2-or-r6250-wi-fi-routers

http://kris.bulman.ca/2015/01/25/Recovering-a-bricked-Netgear-R6300/

Also, read this as well with my comments in there Smile

http://dd-wrt.co.id/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=173779&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Good luck.

PS: I have 2 R6300V1 routers which WILL not accept K3.0x firmware but they will take K2.6x firmware OK. K3.0x will brick it Sad
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wildwild wrote:
Hi,

I had the same issue and it took me a long time to work it out. It turned out that you have to use Putty and the right TTL RS-232 USB-RS232 adapter and the CTRL_C will work then and you should see the text properly Smile

Just follow the instructions of the links below:

https://www.myopenrouter.com/article/how-debrick-or-recover-netgear-r7000-r6300v2-or-r6250-wi-fi-routers

http://kris.bulman.ca/2015/01/25/Recovering-a-bricked-Netgear-R6300/

Also, read this as well with my comments in there Smile

http://dd-wrt.co.id/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=173779&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Good luck.

PS: I have 2 R6300V1 routers which WILL not accept K3.0x firmware but they will take K2.6x firmware OK. K3.0x will brick it Sad

Are you using this? ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/10-10-2017-r33492/netgear-r6300/

I was not aware there was k2.6 firmware for the r6300.

Navigation

Jump to: