Looking for advice for Steam games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
rvnhurst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:55    Post subject: Looking for advice for Steam games Reply with quote
Hello again all. I've probably got a newb question again, but I'm hoping some of you guru's can point me in the right direction.

Ever since upgrading to Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r33010M kongac (08/09/17) on an R8000, Steam has been acting up. I've followed all the troubleshooting steps in steam: changing download servers, dumping the download cache, opening up Steam Ports, checking firewall logs, etc. I like to consider myself a fairly advanced user, so I am pretty sure I have exhausted all options.

I've even tried putting my gaming PC in a DMZ, and turned off DD-WRT's firewall to no avail. Steam only works correctly if I bypass the router with DDWRT and plug straight into the cable modem. My PC is set up to obtain a static local IP from the router, if that was a question.

Has anyone else come across this problem?
Sponsor
Brimmy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:53    Post subject: Re: Looking for advice for Steam games Reply with quote
rvnhurst wrote:
Hello again all. I've probably got a newb question again, but I'm hoping some of you guru's can point me in the right direction.

Ever since upgrading to Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r33010M kongac (08/09/17) on an R8000, Steam has been acting up. I've followed all the troubleshooting steps in steam: changing download servers, dumping the download cache, opening up Steam Ports, checking firewall logs, etc. I like to consider myself a fairly advanced user, so I am pretty sure I have exhausted all options.

I've even tried putting my gaming PC in a DMZ, and turned off DD-WRT's firewall to no avail. Steam only works correctly if I bypass the router with DDWRT and plug straight into the cable modem. My PC is set up to obtain a static local IP from the router, if that was a question.

Has anyone else come across this problem?

What exactly is meant by "Steam has been acting up." do you mean it crashes, you can't load it at all, games do not run? Have you enabled UPnP on your router? have you set up QoS for Steam and your games?

Normally, these are the QoS ports and protocols and what they do for Steam.
Steam Client
UDP 27000-27015 inclusive (Game client traffic)
UDP 27015-27030 inclusive (Typically Matchmaking and HLTV)
TCP 27014-27050 inclusive (Steam downloads)
UDP 27031 and 27036 (incoming, for In-Home Streaming)
TCP 27036 and 27037 (incoming, for In-Home Streaming)
UDP 4380
rvnhurst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Brimmy. Thanks for the reply. I admit my original post was a bit rushed. Let me clarify.

The issue with steam is some part cosmetic and some part ineffective. Connected through the router, these are so far my observed problems:
1. Friends list does not load profile pictures (however viewing the profile page displays it)
2. PlayerUnknown Battleground refuses to update (but will play normally if no patches are required)
3. Kerbal Space Program will not download. It keeps attempting, but no connection is made.
4. It takes 3-4 times of retrying the log in process in order to get logged in.

Basically pubg is the most important to me at the moment. I have not experimented enough to make a conclusive list of errors, and I could care less about profile pictures.

I have followed many steam forum posts on advice to how to fix this.

1. Clear download cache in Steam (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3134-TIAL-4638)
2. The multitude of steps here have been exhausted. (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2274-IFLV-5334)

I narrowed it down to the router by plugging the game computer straight into the cable modem, and everything in Steam works as advertised. Another clue that this problem was caused by the router, did not exist in the prior build of Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r31870M kongac (04/16/17). I recently upgraded to DD-WRT v3.0-r33010M kongac (08/09/17).

I have opened ports 27000-28000 for experimenting, which did not help. Removed that port range and since my gaming PC has a static RFC1918 address from the router, I put it into a DMZ. That theoretically should open up all ports to it, negating the requirement to try QoS, as well as not needing to manually open all of the ports listed here: (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711).
UPnP is disabled. QoS is currently disabled.

I did attempt to turn on UPnP, until some WAN multicast came across the wire, then I disabled it. I run a tap between the modem and the router and my IDS was screaming at me. Smile

If you think turning on QoS might help, I will try that as soon as I can.
Brimmy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
rvnhurst wrote:
Hi Brimmy. Thanks for the reply. I admit my original post was a bit rushed. Let me clarify.

The issue with steam is some part cosmetic and some part ineffective. Connected through the router, these are so far my observed problems:
1. Friends list does not load profile pictures (however viewing the profile page displays it)
2. PlayerUnknown Battleground refuses to update (but will play normally if no patches are required)
3. Kerbal Space Program will not download. It keeps attempting, but no connection is made.
4. It takes 3-4 times of retrying the log in process in order to get logged in.

Basically pubg is the most important to me at the moment. I have not experimented enough to make a conclusive list of errors, and I could care less about profile pictures.

I have followed many steam forum posts on advice to how to fix this.

1. Clear download cache in Steam (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3134-TIAL-4638)
2. The multitude of steps here have been exhausted. (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2274-IFLV-5334)

I narrowed it down to the router by plugging the game computer straight into the cable modem, and everything in Steam works as advertised. Another clue that this problem was caused by the router, did not exist in the prior build of Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r31870M kongac (04/16/17). I recently upgraded to DD-WRT v3.0-r33010M kongac (08/09/17).

I have opened ports 27000-28000 for experimenting, which did not help. Removed that port range and since my gaming PC has a static RFC1918 address from the router, I put it into a DMZ. That theoretically should open up all ports to it, negating the requirement to try QoS, as well as not needing to manually open all of the ports listed here: (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711).
UPnP is disabled. QoS is currently disabled.

I did attempt to turn on UPnP, until some WAN multicast came across the wire, then I disabled it. I run a tap between the modem and the router and my IDS was screaming at me. Smile

If you think turning on QoS might help, I will try that as soon as I can.

Port forwarding is not done by just opening any ports you must open the exact range of ports that the program uses or it will not work and you will be making a security issue for your router which you DO NOT WANT.

UPnP must be enabled and proper QoS set up and enabled for your PC's IP.

If you go to port forwarding.com you will be able to enter your router and then find the game you want to port forward and you will also get detailed directions on how to do it, so look into it.
rvnhurst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Port forwarding is not done by just opening any ports you must open the exact range of ports that the program uses or it will not work and you will be making a security issue for your router which you DO NOT WANT.

I agree. However, I did open the following ports as indicated by Steam, to no avail.

Required Ports for Steam

To log into Steam and download content:

HTTP (TCP port 80) and HTTPS (443)
UDP 27015 through 27030
TCP 27015 through 27030

Steam Client

UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive (Game client traffic)
UDP 27015 to 27030 inclusive (Typically Matchmaking and HLTV)
UDP 27031 and 27036 (incoming, for In-Home Streaming)
TCP 27036 and 27037 (incoming, for In-Home Streaming)
UDP 4380

Dedicated or Listen Servers

TCP 27015 (SRCDS Rcon port)

Steamworks P2P Networking and Steam Voice Chat

UDP 3478 (Outbound)
UDP 4379 (Outbound)
UDP 4380 (Outbound)

Opening these particular ports did not solve the problem.

Also, after removing the port openings from the router, I put the PC in a DMZ. According to ddwrt's wiki, this is what it defines a DMZ as:

The DMZ (DeMilitarized Zone) hosting feature allows one local user to be exposed to the Internet for use of a special-purpose service such as Internet gaming or videoconferencing. DMZ hosting forwards all the ports at the same time to one PC. The Port Forwarding feature is more secure because it only opens the ports you want to have opened, while DMZ hosting opens all the ports of one computer, exposing the computer so the Internet can see it.

I understand that as: everything goes, no matter what, to the host in the DMZ... and this did not solve the problem.

In heeding your advice, I have set up the following:

I set up QoS, but I'm not sure why this is a suggestion as it controls bandwidth to the host, and I'm not having a bandwidth issue. However, I set it up for the gaming host and also added the Steam service as a priority, regardless of QoS' purpose.

UPnP is now turned on, although Steam suggests turning it off. We will see what happens when the next patch comes out. Smile
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Load the 6/11/2017 version at http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/.
It appears to be more stable than 33010 on my R8500's.
I don't have any issues with Steam.

Wired AP 3 Unifi Wifi 6 LR US 1Gb LAN
Syslog Services Asustor 7110T NAS 10GB
NetGear XS716T 10GB Switch
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/ (Brain Slayer)
YAMon https://usage-monitoring.com/index.php
Brimmy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
rvnhurst wrote:
Quote:
--all gone--

In this case you use QoS not for the ability to allow traffic to programs in an attempt to stop the lag/not loading issues.

Have you tried power cycling your modem while connected to your router then 30/30/30 the router https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hard_reset_or_30/30/30?
rvnhurst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Brimmy wrote:
rvnhurst wrote:
Quote:
--all gone--

In this case you use QoS not for the ability to allow traffic to programs in an attempt to stop the lag/not loading issues.

Have you tried power cycling your modem while connected to your router then 30/30/30 the router https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hard_reset_or_30/30/30?

Gotcha Brimmy. I have done a 30/30/30 and cleared nvram through the console since having this problem. I've also done a full network hardware power cycle. The problem persists. Since I have time tonight, I will go for the latest build and hope that works. Currently PUBG is waiting for a patch, so applying QoS to the gaming host in these configurations did not solve the issue:

1. Assigning Steam priority, with the host having the highest priority by MAC address.
2. Assigning Steam the ONLY priority.
3. Assigning the host the ONLY priority.

None seemed to have helped. The port range is still open, as well.
rvnhurst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
ddaniel51 wrote:
Load the 6/11/2017 version at http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-Arm/.
It appears to be more stable than 33010 on my R8500's.
I don't have any issues with Steam.

Dang. I tried the latest Test build, no workie. So I went to the 6/11/2017 build. 30/30/30'ed it, erased nvram through console, and tried to use steam in it's most basic state. Still a no go! Ugh!

Do you have QoS/UPnP enabled, ddaniel51?
rvnhurst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, I feel like a dummy. I've been using .chk files to upgrade between ddwrt installations, instead of the .bin file.

I'll uh, change that process and report back if that fixes things. Wink
Xeon2k8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
rvnhurst wrote:
So, I feel like a dummy. I've been using .chk files to upgrade between ddwrt installations, instead of the .bin file.

No difference at all.

R6250 - BS 29193 running since 03/20/16 - (AP - NAS - FTP - SMB - DNSMasq - AdBlocking)
rvnhurst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
rvnhurst wrote:

Well, that didn't actually change anything, but I'm concerned that maybe I've messed it up permanently. Just for the record, the R8000 had the following working on it:
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r31870M kongac (04/16/17)
Performed a 30/30/30, changed passwords, flashed (the chk) Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r33010M kongac (08/09/17), did another 30/30/30.
At this point I used telnet to clear the nvram, built my static routes, port forwards, and assumed all was well.
Discovered PUBG did not update. Tried to download KSP on steam, downloads wouldn't initiate. Opened ports for steam, didn't work. Tried putting host in DMZ, still didn't work. Turned on QoS, UPnP, also, no effect.

Today I followed the procedures to flash to an older build, the DD-WRT v3.0-r31870M kongac. Nothing changed, but realized I was not using the bin's. Again, 30/30/30'ed it, flashed DD-WRT v3.0-r33010M kongac (09/19/17), had a beer, power cycled, 30/30/30'ed it, set up tables, and again, connections are wonky in Steam. 2 of my wired hosts will not connect to windows update either.
Current build continues to baffle me:

DD-WRT v3.0-r33010M kongac (09/19/17)
Linux 4.4.88 #441 SMP Tue Sep 19 22:44:21 CEST 2017 armv7l

3 wired PC's, all windows 10; 2 have problems (one even has the yellow error triangle saying No Internet Connection, when it does...) The win10 Pro box is working fine.
2 wireless laptops, both working fine. Steam updates, windows updates... I'm pulling my hair out! Wink

So maybe it ISN'T the router, given that the laptop on wifi is updating steam and windows.

The hosts that are problems don't have any out of the ordinary network settings.

I'm about to format one and see if that helps. Wink
rvnhurst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Xeon2k8 wrote:
rvnhurst wrote:

No difference at all.

I can confirm this through experiment now. Wink

I did not see your post before I began the process. Wish I had. Wink
rvnhurst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Since I haven't taken the time to make a bootable windows USB, I decided to try again. Here's my steps:

1. Erase nvram through telnet
2. 30/30/30 (redundant? sure why not)
3. Changed PW at web GUI
4. Flashed the following build:

DD-WRT v3.0-r32170M (06/11/17)

Linux 4.4.70 #340 SMP Sun Jun 11 12:38:55 CEST 2017 armv7l

5. Erase nvram through telnet (password persisted)
6. 30 Sec Power Disconnect
7. 30/30/30
8. Changed PW

Right now, all wired hosts have an internet connection. Moving to the first wired host;

1. ipconfig /flushdns
2. ipconfig /all
Code:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Awesomesauce
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D8-CB-8A-C3-22-2C
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.102(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, September 28, 2017 9:06:53 PM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, September 29, 2017 9:06:53 PM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Alright, seems to be working just fine.

3. Ping google.com; got good replies.
4. LETS TRY TO UPDATE WINDOWS Smile
5. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Code:
There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x800704cf)

6. Following some steps found on Google to remedy this particular code:
A. nbtstat -RR
B. netsh int ip reset
C. netsh winsock reset
D. Reboot. (NOT conducive to writing this post)

Fine. I'll do it Microsoft's way. There's a handy troubleshooter in Windows 10.

Tells me: The device or resource (web proxy) is not set up to accept connections on port "8118'.

*facepalm*

This is about the time I remembered applying a proxy to DDWRT as an experiment. Apparently, windows 10 detected it, and kept trying to route some traffic through a proxy that now didn't exist. But not all traffic... weird.
If anyone has this problem again, go to the start button, settings, Network & Internet, Proxy, and turn off automatic detection.

Everything works now.

It was never the router. Smile

Thank you all for the replies, and for reading through my notes as I troubleshot this problem.
Brimmy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Glad to hear you worked it out.
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: