Install web server aboard the router

danielwritesback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 16:50    Post subject: Install web server aboard the router Reply with quote
How do I install a web server?

The webhost lease runs out for startfetch.com Jan 2018, and I can strip it down to a far smaller size. Currently, I've reduced the number of "pings"/trips from 53 down to 4.

For home connection, it is necessary that a web server deliver Headers with directive on when to update, preferably not at every visit, when there are a few million clients. That's a basic, but also vital. The parameters of home internet service uploads also make more powerful equipment unnecessary (because we wouldn't want to over-saturate home connections anyway). Browser cache optimization is vital in 2017.

I'm not planning to run a shopping cart or push code from a wee router; and, likewise, it is probably needful to delay re-loads from clients, for at least a month, by pushing appropriate headers. Sure wouldn't be useful otherwise.

Halp?
Sponsor
danielwritesback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
It has occurred to me that given much more ram than storage, it would be really cool to serve pages from ram or with ram buffer. Most routers, especially mine, have much more of ram resource than storage. Well, I wouldn't want to waste that.
danielwritesback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 20:41    Post subject: Because battery backup. Reply with quote
Not that its brilliant to run a web server on a wee router; however, the main reason is because of the battery backup--the less amount of boxes run from one battery backup, the longer it can hold out during a power outage.

The alternative is to go get a telecom grade battery backup with a bank of batteries for the garage, so that it can hold up a big server during an outage. The size of the website does not require that much bigger scale of equipment.
danielwritesback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:06    Post subject: Re: Because battery backup. Reply with quote
d0ug wrote:
danielwritesback wrote:
Not that its brilliant to run a web server on a wee router; however, the main reason is because of the battery backup--the less amount of boxes run from one battery backup, the longer it can hold out during a power outage.

The alternative is to go get a telecom grade battery backup with a bank of batteries for the garage, so that it can hold up a big server during an outage. The size of the website does not require that much bigger scale of equipment.

If you run a website that is low enough volume, or not server side processing intensive enough that it would in theory run fine on a router, then why not just run it off a raspberry pi? You would have a lot more flexibility since it is a full linux distro. Storage only limited by the largest SD card you could stick into it. And the 5w or less that a Pi takes would be negligible to the run time of a UPS...

That idea is meritorious indeed! It is my "plan C"

However, it is also true that for a site that isn't updated often, the CPU loading isn't significant if the headers are delivered accordingly (to delay client reloads). Were that the case, the job is easily within the capacity of a "junkbox" router that wouldn't otherwise be utilized for anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: