YAMon 3.0... Usage Reporting by device per hr/day/mo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 119, 120, 121  Next
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
bytebandit01 wrote:
ddaniel51 wrote:
When your ISP goes down what happens to the router YAMon is running on?

the router remained running without any random reboot issues..

what i noticed is that this error only occurs when my ISP is down for at least 1-2 hours and more.. however if my ISP would only be down and back up within the next couple of minutes say within the hour then YAMon would still be running fine..

when and how is hourly_data.js created? and what causes it not to be created successfully? usb write error perhaps? or probably an instance/event that got interrupted?

By default, the hourly file is created just after midnight(or if the script is started and the file does not exist). I have never seen it not created successfully... the only reasons I can imagine are a Read-only file system, corrupted drive, full disk, etc.

What is the filesystem on your USB drive? what happens in the hourly file? Is there corrupted data? do you have logging turned on? What does it show? If you do not have logging on, turn it on and set loglevel to 0. Then send the files to questions@usage-monitoring.com

Thx

Al
Sponsor
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
RoyalOrange wrote:
I'm having trouble understanding the hourly traffic page. Currently it is 9:11 AM yet this is displayed:

Edit: I didn't see that my router wasn't set to central time. Now that the router's time is fixed is there a way I can have YAMon push back all time by 7 hours?
Short of hand-raullically fixing the file, no.

Sorry!

Al
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:52    Post subject: Re: Notification Reply with quote
DiRTDOG wrote:
Hi all, sorry I have not read all 100+ threads, but I did read the website and dont think I saw anything mentioned about sending a notification when I will reach my cap, is this a capability. I would like a notification via email etc on a set limit.

Thanks for all the hard work.

Short answer, is the script doesn't actually do that ATM... I'll add that to the to-do list (but it will take some effort to implement that feature).

Al
apayne
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 22:36    Post subject: Re: Upgrading to yamon3.3.3 Reply with quote
al_c wrote:
BarkingSpider wrote:

/opt/YAMon3# ls -l /tmp/www/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Apr 2 13:07 css -> /opt/YAMon3/www/css
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Sep 29 09:50 data -> ./data/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Apr 2 13:07 images -> /opt/YAMon3/www/images
drwx------ 2 root root 0 Sep 29 09:13 js
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Apr 2 13:07 logs -> /opt/YAMon3/logs/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Sep 29 09:50 yamon3.html -> ./www/yamon3.3.html

./yamon3.3.3.sh: line 1253: can't create /tmp/www/data/2017-09-29-live_data3.js: Symbolic link loop

I had the symlink in /tmp/www of data -> /opt/YAMon3/data and the yamon3.html -> /opt/YAMon3/www/yamon3.3.html

Any ideas why this is happening or how to correct?
Thanks

Crap... I'll look at that ASAP... clearly the paths starting with `./` are wrong

Al

`$dirname $0` isn't a reliable way to figure out the script's directory, because breaks if you launch startup.sh with a relative path (e.g., "./startup.sh" will set d_baseDir to ".")

Use d_baseDir=$(cd "$(dirname "$0")" && pwd) instead, and the variable will have a proper path each time. It should eliminate the bad symlinks in /tmp/www (at least changing it in startup.sh seemed to fix the problem here).
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:30    Post subject: Re: Upgrading to yamon3.3.3 Reply with quote
apayne wrote:
al_c wrote:
BarkingSpider wrote:

/opt/YAMon3# ls -l /tmp/www/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Apr 2 13:07 css -> /opt/YAMon3/www/css
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Sep 29 09:50 data -> ./data/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Apr 2 13:07 images -> /opt/YAMon3/www/images
drwx------ 2 root root 0 Sep 29 09:13 js
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Apr 2 13:07 logs -> /opt/YAMon3/logs/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Sep 29 09:50 yamon3.html -> ./www/yamon3.3.html

./yamon3.3.3.sh: line 1253: can't create /tmp/www/data/2017-09-29-live_data3.js: Symbolic link loop

I had the symlink in /tmp/www of data -> /opt/YAMon3/data and the yamon3.html -> /opt/YAMon3/www/yamon3.3.html

Any ideas why this is happening or how to correct?
Thanks

Crap... I'll look at that ASAP... clearly the paths starting with `./` are wrong

Al

`$dirname $0` isn't a reliable way to figure out the script's directory, because breaks if you launch startup.sh with a relative path (e.g., "./startup.sh" will set d_baseDir to ".")

Use d_baseDir=$(cd "$(dirname "$0")" && pwd) instead, and the variable will have a proper path each time. It should eliminate the bad symlinks in /tmp/www (at least changing it in startup.sh seemed to fix the problem here).

Thanks for the suggestion... Already updated at my end. Will let things run for a few days (and I'm chasing a few issues in setup.sh (for other firmware variants).

I'll get v3.3.4 out shortly (after I've checked again to make sure I've caught all instances...)

Al
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
mac913 wrote:
UPDATE on Flash Drives

I'm running YAMon HTML: 3.3.4 / Script: 3.3.3 on one of my R7000s and 2 other family members which have a R7000 Build 33010Mv3 and an E3000 Build 33006. I had YAMon3 loaded on the USB2 ports with Scandisk 8GB Fit Flash Drives. The R7000s USB drives where formated as EXT4 and the E3000 USB Drive was limited to NTFS and FAT on Build 33006 and was using NTFS.

The 2 family routers have very high Internet activity compared to mine. I have been monitoring these new builds and noticed the Router uptime was Reset everyday. I have many services running on these Routers along with YAMon3. After a couple of days trying to pin-point the problem it was initially caused by YAMon3. Disabling YAMon3 on these 2 Routers the I had over 7 days of uptime. So I starting testing (on a PC) the Scandisk 8GB Fit Drives and Read speeds was about 35MB/s and Write was about 4MB/s, write speeds looked slow but the E3000 was a slow USB performer too plus I the drive was formated NTFS and later learned FAT was a better performed than NTFS. I had some ScanDisk 32GB USB3 Ultra Fit Flash Drives with Read speeds of 130MB/s and Write speeds of 42MB/s. I replaced the the slower flash drives for these faster USB3 flash drives, on the E3000 I aslo formatted it FAT32 and the R7000 drive formated with EXT4 and connected to the USB3 port. Re-installed YAMon3 on both Routers and now have had over 4 days of uptime, no reboots with these very active Routers.

thanks for the update... very informative!

I already recommend ext4 for the USB drives [help topic]. I'll update the recommendation to include something about R/W speeds... in the meantime I found the following resources:

Al
kryptic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey there, I've been googling all day on this question, I couldn't get my USB drive to mount to opt, I tried ext3 & 4, when I reboot the router, nothing shows up I have to pull the USB out and in then it will show up. There doesn't seem to be a direct answer anywhere on how to make it do this, or a manual mount script?

I'm using a Acer 3200 with DD-WRT build 33345.

I did manage to get it to install with the default mount point of /tmp/mnt/sda1/ ... and it works, until I reboot the router, then everything in /www/user/ is lost and I have to make a new symlink, also does not start on it's own.

Should mention it's a 32gb Sandisk.
al_c
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
kryptic wrote:
Hey there, I've been googling all day on this question, I couldn't get my USB drive to mount to opt, I tried ext3 & 4, when I reboot the router, nothing shows up I have to pull the USB out and in then it will show up. There doesn't seem to be a direct answer anywhere on how to make it do this, or a manual mount script?

I did manage to get it to install with the default mount point of /tmp/mnt/sda1/ ... and it works, until I reboot the router, then everything in /www/user/ is lost and I have to make a new symlink, also does not start on it's own.

Did you check the USB help topic: http://usage-monitoring.com/common-problems.php?t=usb-settings?

Assuming that you've set things up as recommended
Users have reported that some chipset/firmware combinations do not support ext4 or ext3... what happens if you downgrade to ext2?

(Although, I expect that an RT-AC3200 wouldn't fall into that category... it looks like a pretty sweet router.)

Al
bytebandit01
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
al_c wrote:
bytebandit01 wrote:
ddaniel51 wrote:
When your ISP goes down what happens to the router YAMon is running on?

the router remained running without any random reboot issues..

what i noticed is that this error only occurs when my ISP is down for at least 1-2 hours and more.. however if my ISP would only be down and back up within the next couple of minutes say within the hour then YAMon would still be running fine..

when and how is hourly_data.js created? and what causes it not to be created successfully? usb write error perhaps? or probably an instance/event that got interrupted?

By default, the hourly file is created just after midnight(or if the script is started and the file does not exist). I have never seen it not created successfully... the only reasons I can imagine are a Read-only file system, corrupted drive, full disk, etc.

What is the filesystem on your USB drive? what happens in the hourly file? Is there corrupted data? do you have logging turned on? What does it show? If you do not have logging on, turn it on and set loglevel to 0. Then send the files to questions@usage-monitoring.com

Thx

Al

i'm using an 8Gb flash drive formatted to EXT4. i also have logging turned on but i don't know how to check the logs.. what specific file am i to look for?

what i'm considering right now is to replace my current usb with a brand new one since that was a just a spare one laying around unused for almost a year i guess.. do you have a minimum usb capacity to recommend? usb 2.0 or usb 3.0?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
bytebandit01 wrote:
i'm using an 8Gb flash drive formatted to EXT4. i also have logging turned on but i don't know how to check the logs.. what specific file am i to look for?

what i'm considering right now is to replace my current usb with a brand new one since that was a just a spare one laying around unused for almost a year i guess.. do you have a minimum usb capacity to recommend? usb 2.0 or usb 3.0?

I'm start to see dd-wrt builds having issues with slow usb2 flash drives. Even a Family E3000 with build 33006 k3.x had router with daily restarting issues running YAMon3 on a 8GB USB2 flash drive. I moved to a 32GB USB3 even though the E3000 only supports usb2 the usb3 flash drive will not slow things downs. Another thing with the k3.x builds on the E3000 it only supported NTFS and FAT on USB ports and FAT is much faster access than NTFS.

In my experience USB3 flash is better, if it's only for YAMon3 and Scripts 8GB is fine but I find 32GB is at a good price point and fat32 is limited to 32GB partitions if you plan to use it.

UPDATE

FAT32 should not used since symlinks are needed. Build 33006 k3.x on the E3000 has limited USB file system support because of the 8MB flash, currently it only supports NTFS and FAT. I've formatted the 32GB USB drive to NTFS for symlinks support.

| OpenVPN-Client | YAMon3 | HE-IPv6 | ebtables | ip6tables |

Multi 2x R7000 Setup - KONGAC 33525M TEST Release 2017-10-16 (k4.4.92#454SMP)

Wireless Client & 3-SSIDs on 5Ghz AP | OpenVPN-Client | DNSSEC |
| DNSCrypt 1.9.5 via Entware-ng | USB Storage - NTFS | VLANs/BRs |

Linksys E3000 (OC 533Mhz) - DD-WRT v3.0-r33006 mega (k3.10.107#15471)

Last edited by mac913 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:57; edited 2 times in total
kryptic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
al_c wrote:
kryptic wrote:

Did you check the USB help topic: http://usage-monitoring.com/common-problems.php?t=usb-settings?

Assuming that you've set things up as recommended
Users have reported that some chipset/firmware combinations do not support ext4 or ext3... what happens if you downgrade to ext2?

(Although, I expect that an RT-AC3200 wouldn't fall into that category... it looks like a pretty sweet router.)

Al

Hey there, thanks for the reply! I will get back to testing it today and try ext2, as well as I noticed it has another USB port I can try.

As for the suggestions on that page the only thing I didn't try was labelling to opt.

I just noticed I called it an Acer router too, guess that's what happens when I stare at my Acer lappy for 10 hours straight Rolling Eyes
andrew77
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 20:09    Post subject: Belkin F7D4302 v1 - Read-only file system Reply with quote
Hi I'm trying to install YAMon on a Belkin F7D4302 v1 running DD-WRT v3.0-r30631 mega. I can access the USB stick with the install script on it, but I can't copy it to the router because I don't have write access on it. I'm using SSH access and have tried using chmod on the folders but nothing changes. Any ideas? Thanks.
apayne
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 22:34    Post subject: Re: Belkin F7D4302 v1 - Read-only file system Reply with quote
andrew77 wrote:
Hi I'm trying to install YAMon on a Belkin F7D4302 v1 running DD-WRT v3.0-r30631 mega. I can access the USB stick with the install script on it, but I can't copy it to the router because I don't have write access on it. I'm using SSH access and have tried using chmod on the folders but nothing changes. Any ideas? Thanks.

YAMon will need to run from the USB stick. The internal filesystem of the router isn't writable for use as a disk. You'll need to permanently mount the USB stick onto /opt (or your preferred location), and then install YAMon onto the mounted disk.
andrew77
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
apayne wrote:
andrew77 wrote:

YAMon will need to run from the USB stick. The internal filesystem of the router isn't writable for use as a disk. You'll need to permanently mount the USB stick onto /opt (or your preferred location), and then install YAMon onto the mounted disk.

Thanks I've done this, but now the setup script is failing, saying I have no Internet connection, even though I'm accessing the Internet through it now.
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can save a lot of grief if you simply change the volume name on your usb stick to opt. DD-WRT will auto mount the volume named opt to /opt.

Going to this page:
http://usage-monitoring.com/manualInstall.php
can get you started with YAMon.

Taking the time to read this thread in it's entirety can save a lot of issues too.

www.desipro.de/ddwrt/
YAMon usage-monitoring.com/manualInstall.php
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 119, 120, 121  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 120 of 121
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: