Network design help requested (2 routers, multiple devices)

Boogalooz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:57    Post subject: Network design help requested (2 routers, multiple devices) Reply with quote
***** EDIT ***** ***** EDIT ***** ***** EDIT ****

I just found myself reading the Peacock thread, and have discovered that I have installed the wrong firmware on the WRT300N I have listed below. I am now going to follow the "upgrade" process noted on that page to the letter and get a proper build on that router. I will leave this post untouched for now, and then come back and edit it when I have that step completed. By reading the Peacock thread, I realize I was the kind of noob you guys detest around here.... Forgive me, and do not bother reading the rest of this post until I remove everything between the "*** EDIT *** lines".

***** EDIT ***** EDIT ***** EDIT ***** EDIT ***

I am extremely noob when it comes to networking, so please forgive me if I sound....noob. My intention is to learn, and grow, and not be noob forever.

That being said, here is what I have to work with.

I have a Linksys WRT-300N running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) mini - build 14896. The reason I am running that build is because I had no idea which one to pick, and that build worked the first time I flashed it, so I ran with it.

I also just purchased a Linksys WRT-1900ACSv2 which will be here sometime this week. It is brand new in the box and has never been flashed.

I will be home all day tomorrow waiting for the FIOS man to upgrade our service to 150/150 speed from our current 75/75 FIOS which hits the router through coax because I was not hip enough to request that my data closet be fed via Ethernet when it was installed. None the less, I would have needed a coax feed when we signed up anyway, because we also have the full HD TV package.

Now that the kids are grown and moved on, the wife and I have decided to save the $200.00 a month we currently pay for HD TV and the associated hardware and move on to online content only. To help balance that load, 150/150 made sense, since we will still be saving over $200.00 a month, even with the doubling of our bandwidth.

I wired the whole house with Cat-6 in conduit back when I remodeled the place, and I spent a couple of hours under the house the other day running a brand new Cat-6 drop from my data closet to the ONT outside the house in preparation for the technician. I primarily did that myself because I am OCD, and did not want cable just laying in the dirt in my crawl space, so I did it the way I do everything else, which is extreme overkill. I was also not convinced that he/she would run Cat-6.... So I did it my way. I will gladly terminate the cable for him/her if he/she grumbles about how hard it is to terminate Cat-6 over Cat-5....

Anyway,

So, with that in mind, my plan is to allow the technician to install their new router, their way, and then at a time of my choosing, I will send them their router back, and replace it with the Linksys WRT-1900ACSv2 that I just purchased.

What I need help with, and why I am reaching out, is because I have 8 wireless cameras around the exterior of the house and I would like to use the wireless reach of the WRT-ACS1900 to cover most of them, but there are 3 I would like to run off of the Linksys WRT-300N, and I have no real concept of how to do that the right way, Assuming the right way is NOT they way I have it listed below.

I am currently using the WRT-300N in "AP" (bridged) mode to serve one of my detached offices. It is fed from the current FIOS router, and seems to be working OK that way, but I am not sure, if that is the "best" way to set things up?

Ultimately, I plan to move away from wireless cameras and move to POIP cameras, but that will be a slow transition as I seek out, test and eventually land on cameras that I like and have determined work well enough, after I test one or 2 of them out for a couple of months.

The actual wireless load will be 8 1080P cameras, my wifes laptop and phone, my daughters phones when they come over, and that is about it. I may set up guest wireless access for the girls and their men when they come over and any guests we entertain that may need it, but beyond that, every other IoT device we have, will utilize ethernet. TV's, Kodi boxes etc will all be hard wired.

I guess to grind down my inquiry a bit, and make it easier to answer, I would ask: how would YOU set up your network, if you were handed the 2 Linksys routers I mentioned?

The only other real question I have is regarding online security. My original plan was to run OpenVPN on the WRT-1900ACS, but after speaking with the guys over at Untangled, I am not convinced that is a good solution. What I really want is 2 way encryption, and steatlh IP address capability, so a paid VPN service seems like the only reliable option? I am told by the guy at Untangled that they have an appliance coming out that does all of that in one box, but I still like the idea of an offshore VPN for privacy. What say you?

Sorry for the long winded post folks. I thought it prudent to lay out my desires, so perhaps it would help you, help me manage my expectations.

Thank you!
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: