Linksys WRT54GL 1.1 - Slow Download Speed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mooxe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 21:35    Post subject: Linksys WRT54GL 1.1 - Slow Download Speed Reply with quote
Thank you mods and webadmin for all the warnings to read the peacock thread. I installed dd-wrt.v24-12548_NEWD_mini.bin on my WRT54GL1.1 easily. Everything went smooth on the first try. The 30-30-30 before and after rule works.

My download speed is 150mbps, the WRT54GL only gives me 40mbps. If I overclock it to 250mhz, I get 50mbps. I noticed some other threads about slow speeds as well with this router and there seems to be no fix, the router is to slow to be running DD-WRT and maintain a 150mbps download (ports are 10/100 only).

So this post serves as a precautionary note to any prospective buyers of the Linksys WRTGL 1.1. It is being advertised on NewEgg as "Compatible with Open Source DD-WRT (not pre-load)" which is certainly is, but it is not compatible with higher speed connections.
Sponsor
noxeras
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have same issue, any solution guys ?
wabe
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Extremely reliable but old and slow router. Don’t think you can expect more than you are getting, speedwise.
Asus AC-68U rev. A1 on Build 53339
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I even gave up on the old WRT54 units that were being used as Client Bridges for printers. I have hardwire ethernet printers that I turned wireless this way...but these old units just don't cut it as a main AP any longer. 50Mbs was top end limit on these...35Mbs was closer to the norm.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
d0ug wrote:
I do like the WTR54GS though. I wish they would come out with a modern replacement in the same form factor with built in power supply. Great for hotels with shitty wifi service. Plug it into the outlet and a single cord to the ethernet jack in the room if available. Presto personal AP in the room. It all fits nicely in its included travel case and takes up little space. Also good for those hotels with pesky captive portals that sign you out after no activity for some stupid amount of time like 15 minutes. Set a persistent ping to run on the thing to keep the connection alive. You can also put the thing into client bridge mode for a similar effect when only wifi is available.

I drag a WZR-600DHP with me when I travel...same thing..CB on one radio...AP on the other and I have my own private secure network when hotel have crappy wifi.

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Aren't they 100Mbit ports?
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I still run 3 wrt54g units 24/7.
2 WDS link to shop & the AP in shop.
all at far end of my network.... not much traffic but lets me watch a Netflix, hulu, or CNN when I'm hangin at the shop.

but a lot of the old boxes are put to good use holding up the EA8500 Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: