just bricked 2 routers with the same firmware

leftishness
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:51    Post subject: just bricked 2 routers with the same firmware Reply with quote
I have 2 RT-68U routers about 2.5 hours drive away from each other that I maintain regularly. I've used dd-wrt for a long time and have done numerous firmware updates safely for years.

I think I just bricked 2 routers with this update:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2017/10-17-2017-r33525/asus-rt-ac68u/

Since dd-wrt doesn't provide hashes of the firmware files, I usually download the file multiple times and calculate a SHA-256 sum. If I get 3 matches, I upload the file. This is my usual protocol.

I realize this is a DIY community but we could do a lot better by making sure firmware files are published with hashes and, perhaps more importantly, making sure that the router has a check built-in to ensure a valid update file before allowing the upgrade to proceed.

I'm a small businessman who relies on this software and this is going to set me back. I won't say by how much but it will be significant. Also, now I have to buy 2 new routers and install them, 2.5 hours apart from each other.

Please be better than this dd-wrt.
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
You don't need to buy new routers. The asus are almost impossible to brick. Just to some research.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
The Asus routers have a recovery mode. Turn unit off pressing the power button. Using a pen, hold down the little button next to the power button and then press the power button. The light will start flashing slowly and you are in recovery mode. You can then just go to the webpage and upload a different firmware. I had to do this last night when I tried the 10/17/2017 build.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: