Repeater Bridge: NAS connection issues

endverbraucher
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:40    Post subject: Repeater Bridge: NAS connection issues Reply with quote
I have the following setup:

NAS
I
<AP1> TP-Link TL-WR841ND v8 (DD-WRT v3.0-r33345 std)
<Primary> TP-Link TL-WR1043ND (DD-WRT v3.0-r33345 std)
<AP2> TP-Link TL-WR841ND v8 (DD-WRT v3.0-r33345 std)

It is a Repeater Bridges setup following this WIKI tutorial. The NAS has a wired connection to AP1.

The problem: I cannot access the NAS with a client connected by wrie to the same AP. The same client has no problem accessing the NAS when connecting wirelessly or with a wired connection to AP2.

I am probably missing something obvious. Is there any setting that could prevent clients seeing each other when connected by wire to the same AP?
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
First thought is an IP address issue, maybe the client or the NAS has a fixed IP?.
As you have one primary router and 2 AP's all should be on the same subnet, so check that

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
endverbraucher
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for trying to help. Sorry for the late reply.

I am pretty sure it is not an IP or Subnet issue. Both NAS and client have fixed IPs. Currently both are set to DHCP. Only the router has DHCP server enabled and is assigning fixed IPs to both, client and NAS. (The problem persists if I assign the IPs locally instead.)

I have also tried switching AP1 for AP2 = same issue (NAS and client can connect to the internet but not see each other). The only way for them to see each other when connected to the same device is by connecting them both to the router.
beasty
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Both NAS and client have fixed IPs

Only the router has DHCP server enabled and is assigning fixed IPs to both, client and NAS.

Do you mean that you have static DHCP reserving IP addresses for the client and the NAS?

If that is the case check you havent made any mistakes with subnet masks etc. It is worth going to the most basic troubleshooting possible. I have seen many issues caused by static DHCP over the years.

If you have altered the client setup or reinstalled the operating system etc then you need to start there really but to me it sounds like an ip address issue or maybe even some kind of firewall issue (on the client) maybe

I would give the NAS a reserved IP address and leave the client to get a dynamic address. In other words, remove the DHCP reservation for the client and have the DHCP server assign it an unreserved address
endverbraucher
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for your input. You are correct, I meant static DHCP with IP reservation for NAS and client (as both need port forwarding). I have assigned the static IPs under Services > DHCP Server > Static Leases so all I set was the IP (no subnet mask etc.). I followed your suggestion setting the client to DHCP but the issue remained (now switched back to static IP).

My suspicion that the problem is caused by a router/AP setting is due to the exactly same setup working perfectly fine prior to upgrading the firmware to DD-WRT.

NAS-AP1 . . . Router . . . AP2-Client = works

NAS-Router-Client = works

NAS-AP . . . Client = works

NAS-AP-Client = doesn't work (can't even ping NAS)

The Synology NAS is running DSM 6.1.3-15152 Update 8 (latest version)
Client is running OSX 10.11.6 (latest El Capitan update)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: