wrt54gl advise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
leblanc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:36    Post subject: wrt54gl advise Reply with quote
router just arrived 2 days ago.

finally got dd-wrt firmware installed; 1st time user

I would like to know what options I should tweak given my current scenario.?.?
Location of options with suggested value range would be much appreciated.?.?

wired connection:
1 windows p2p machine running azureus 24-7; static lease + port forwarding
2 server machines (dns, mail, db, apache, iis) that static lease there ip + port forwarding

wireless:
I have 2 laptops; just http browsing and network shares access

I have static lease + port forwarding working just seems like my router becomes slower and slower... i'm thinking the problem is with connections with my p2p client azureus.

recently i've been getting:
"The connection has timed out"
http pages are slow to load.

location and values would be much appreciated.

-lm
Sponsor
chuckygobyebye
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:32    Post subject: Peer to peer Reply with quote
If you're running bitttorrent you'll need to increase the number of tcp/ip connections. I believe there's a tutorial in the wiki for this.
Also, you may want to configure QoS to make non-peer-to-peer traffic priority.
You may want to throttle your bittorrent client for that matter as well.
leblanc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
>throttle your bittorrent

I assume that this means I should not have down and up speeds the same as my real up and down speeds.?.? what is the recommended value
bittorent_max_speed = real_max_speed * .60; ?? 60% of actual bandwidth

Also i've read that i should set the router to release the tables often.. or reduce size of table. Where is the value for this mysterious table located?
jmounts79
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Few things...

1. Limit the Global connections in your Bit Torrent Application to 250 MAX. Limit the number of connections per Torrent to 25-50, Also Limit the Upload of AZ to about 1/3 of your upstream, and you can go up to 85% of your download speed with out Killing the connection. But these Values will depend on how many connections AZ is using.

2. Increase the connections in the router to 2048, at the same time make TCP time outs about 600 and UDP about 120. Administration page

3. QOS -> 85% of you total Bandwidth. Make all non P2P traffic TOP priority. Else P2P is going to Own your network.

4. Enable UPNP Smile, Flush UPNP on router Reboot, and disable Presentation URL.

5. For Wireless, Set ACK to 0, Becon to 75ish, Xmit to 74-83 ( This will get rid of the RX errors on the Wlan)

Depending on the Hardware version of the router, you might want to start with DD-WRT V23 SP2. Test with the settings above and then work into the newer firmware once you have the router acting the way you want.
leblanc
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 13:32    Post subject: just what i needed! Reply with quote
jmounts79:

works!!!! Thanks for the 123 instructions.

left azureus running all night;
i've never seen download speeds of that rate before.. over 400kb at some points.
http doesn't seem to be affected.. normal surfing speed.

update on settings:
in enabling QOS, it stopped azureus from running and internet went to a griding halt.
Port -wan?
Packet Scheduler -htb?
Services Priority- http premium, bittorrent standard?
didn't work so i disabled it.

Flush UPNP on router Reboot, I don't have that setting: I have Clear port forwards at startup and i disabled it... if enabled azureus would complain.

this is running sweet now... many thanks!

-lm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: