NordVPN NordLynx as standard WireGuard VPN solution?

OpenSource Ghost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 22:08    Post subject: NordVPN NordLynx as standard WireGuard VPN solution? Reply with quote
NordVPN uses NordLynx, which is basically WireGuard that goes through NordVPN's double NAT to preserve user privacy. That's the official NordVPN explanation. AFAIK there is no official support for NordVPN NordLynx via routers' and/or Linux kernel, but private and public keys can be extracted from logs on Windows machine.

NordVPN isn't the only VPN that uses double NAT systems for WireGuard. ProtonVPN does the same. I think both VPN providers assign the same local IP address to TUN interface (10.5.0.2 in case of NordVPN), but I don't know whether identical local TUN IP address + keys is enough to get NordVPN working as standard WireGuard VPN solution.

Has anyone successfully been able to use NordVPN NordLynx through standard WireGuard VPN tunnel on DD-WRT routers or other routers that support WireGuard VPN? I don't want to be the one to try/experiment. I'd rather just know for sure.
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
WireGuard guides and documentation --> client setup guide v36.pdf Page 22, LMSTFY Wireguard & NordVPN Email
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
NordVPN/NordLynx WG works fine running in your router without any issues, very stable.
One thing to note, the server key (Pre-Shared Key) changes per country with Nord so grab what ever country you need when dumping your Local Private Key.

Network IPV4 - Isolated Vlan's with IoT Devices. Unifi AC-Pro x 3 AP's, Router Wi-Fi Disabled. OVPN Server With Paid Commercial Wireguard Client's. Gateway Mode, DNSMasq, Static Leases & DHCP, Pi-Hole DNS & Running Unbound.

No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life!
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Note There are a lot of other very good providers which do not make it so difficult to run WireGuard on the router Smile
Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Couldn't agree more, Mullvad.
hebeda
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
ovpn.com just generate config file and load it into dd-wrt and you are done ...
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
The OP was asking about NordVPN WireGuard not OVPN?
NordVPN do not supply your WG Local Private Key so you need to dump this using linux cli
hebeda wrote:
ovpn.com just generate config file and load it into dd-wrt and you are done ...

Network IPV4 - Isolated Vlan's with IoT Devices. Unifi AC-Pro x 3 AP's, Router Wi-Fi Disabled. OVPN Server With Paid Commercial Wireguard Client's. Gateway Mode, DNSMasq, Static Leases & DHCP, Pi-Hole DNS & Running Unbound.

No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life!

Last edited by foz111 on Fri Apr 14, 2023 16:40; edited 1 time in total
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
WireGuard guides and documentation --> client setup guide v36.pdf Page 22 LMSTFY Wireguard & NordVPN Email

gist.github.com/bluewalk/7b3db071c488c82c604baf76a42eaad3?permalink_comment_id=4499503#gistcomment
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
This topic has been covered, but here we are, again, entertaining the OP's tactics.

[SOLVED]Wireguard & NordVPN Email

[SOLVED sort of]Wireguard and NordVPN

Obtaining Configuration files for NordVPN's NordLynx?

And others...

https://www.google.com/search?q=nordvpn+wireguard+site+forum.dd-wrt.com&oq=nordvpn+wireguard+site+forum.dd-wrt.com

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
"permalink_comment_id=4499503#gistcomment" Avoids noise this updated script extracts necessary information.
But the link in egc's wireguard client setup guide is still valid, and nothing wrong with issuing commands manually.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: