Mesh and roaming

johnnyNobody999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 22:20    Post subject: Mesh and roaming Reply with quote
I got WDS working but I don't see how this would be a mesh network with one WDS AP and all the other routers are WDS Stations. Do I need to set up a VAP on all the WDS routers using the same SSID so that roaming will work? The WDS AP is a Netgear R9000 on 5 GHz and the WDS Stations are Netgear R7800.
Sponsor
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
From the WDS wiki

Quote:
Step 6: Log in to the WDS Station.
~
Step 10: (Optional) - To extend the wireless network of the WDS AP, or daisy chain WDS Station to WDS Station

Under Virtual Interfaces, Click Add
Change the Wireless Mode of the Virtual Interface to WDS AP
Type in the SSID for the Virtual Interface exactly (same capitalization) as it is on the WDS AP (main router)
Click Save

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad (1.1M blocked) + Blocklist Collection

johnnyNobody999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Doesn't seem to work. I put my phone near the farthest router from the main router but the phone still connects directly to the main router instead of via the router it is next to.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
johnnyNobody999 wrote:
Doesn't seem to work. I put my phone near the farthest router from the main router but the phone still connects directly to the main router instead of via the router it is next to.

Fast roaming or fast transition (FT) must be supported by the client too...no idea how to fiddle with phones roaming aggressiveness settings as well not all clients support it...
In general clients tend to stay connected to the AP that has initiated the first connection...and this is the same with all mesh systems...in most of the cases..i ve never seen a smooth transition..anywhere...may be its just me...

In DDWRT there must be a setting of FT(fast transition) somewhere, either advanced settings or wifi security tab....no idea how it works, as i ve never tested it...and I dont play with mesh systems any more...in general WDS is the best DDWRT can offer...in the past i played with it and was working good, no idea what is it's current state...and how clients behave with it...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yep as @Alozaros said you can try 802.11r (FT) Support on wireless security tab.

Settings are discussed here by @tatsuya 46:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1147897#1147897

You may also play with Minimum Signal for authenticate and Minimum Signal for connection settings on wireless basic settings tab with Advanced Settings ticked.

Maybe none of it helps IDK?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: