NAT loopback not working with SFE set to CTF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Rezer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:50    Post subject: NAT loopback not working with SFE set to CTF Reply with quote
Thought this one would be easier to figure out, but nothing I can find seems to address it directly for dd-wrt. Long story short, I have a server behind a dd-wrt router that I access using a public domain name, and everything's working fine from outside the network both with and without the "Shortcut Forwarding Engine" set to CTF. However, when it comes accessing that same server from within the network using the domain name, it stops working when CTF is enabled, but works fine when set to either SFE or Disabled. CTF is required to fully utilize my current WAN speeds, so I'd really like to see if I can get it working before I give up and get a new router.

I've seen suggestions that this can be addressed via an iptables rule to mark packets coming from within the network with 0x01/0x07, but it's unclear to me whether this is a working solution for dd-wrt or only for tomato firmwares.

The router is an Asus RT-AC68R running DD-WRT v3.0-r53469 std (09/08/23).
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
When on the local network, use the local address.

Put an entry in the local dns server with the local address.

CTF is not compatible with NAT loopback because it runs on the switch and the NAT in the router is never reached.
Rezer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Entering the local address is the only workaround I have right now, but there's a variety of services on the server tied to different subdomains which are pretty easy to remember by name, but less so trying to remember which port does what. It's also a bit of a hassle on mobile devices that can access everything fine remotely, but not at home.

Having the addresses in a local DNS server isn't workable as far as I can tell, since these services are hosted as containers in a single kubernetes cluster and none of them use "standard" ports on the local network.

Is it really the case that CTF just does not work with NAT loopback on dd-wrt, full stop?
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use dnsmasq additional config options

Code:
address=/<domain>[/<domain>...]/[<ipaddr>]

https://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Moved to the Broadcom forum
Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Rezer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:
Use dnsmasq additional config options

Code:
address=/<domain>[/<domain>...]/[<ipaddr>]

https://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html

Sure, but since DNS doesn't allow specific ports to be specified that's not a workable solution in this case.

egc wrote:
Moved to the Broadcom forum

Oops, sorry Embarassed
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, I'll be the Huckleberry Snagglepuss Barista here and ask for further amplifying information on what the larger picture is. Should we presume that the ports are related to protocols or separate domain names here?

Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Create Service Records instead of A Records in DNS. The contain a port.
Rezer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:
Okay, I'll be the Huckleberry Snagglepuss Barista here and ask for further amplifying information on what the larger picture is. Should we presume that the ports are related to protocols or separate domain names here?

Each exposed port on the machine is tied to a specific subdomain via a reverse proxy, which itself is listening on port 30443 since the administration page for the server is already on port 443.

Per Yngve Berg wrote:

I...didn't know that was a thing. I thought DNS had no concept of ports at all. I'll give it a look, why not. As long as I can get the primary domain to hit the reverse proxy on port 30443, I assume that'll take care of the rest of the subdomains the same as before.

Still, I'm left wondering why CTF + NAT loopback is a complete nonstarter. Supposedly it's possible to get working on the Tomato firmware, but it doesn't look like there was ever a resolution for dd-wrt. I had assumed it was just because my iptables skills are...somewhat lacking, but I guess there's some architectural or performance reason this won't work on dd-wrt?
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rezer wrote:
Each exposed port on the machine is tied to a specific subdomain via a reverse proxy, which itself is listening on port 30443 since the administration page for the server is already on port 443.

Sounds like an overcomplicated mess when virtual interface/IPs could probably make it simpler, but it's not my circus nor my monkeys.
Per Yngve Berg wrote:

I surmise this is what is being referred to:
Code:
server=[/[<domain>]/[domain/]][<server>[#<port>]][@<interface>][@<source-ip>[#<port>]]

Rezer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:
Rezer wrote:

Sounds like an overcomplicated mess when virtual interface/IPs could probably make it simpler, but it's not my circus nor my monkeys.
Per Yngve Berg wrote:

I surmise this is what is being referred to:
Code:
server=[/[<domain>]/[domain/]][<server>[#<port>]][@<interface>][@<source-ip>[#<port>]]

It's actually pretty straightforward, all the services are hosted in docker and when adding a new one I can just open up nginx proxy manager and add a new subdomain tied to the service port, no need to forward any ports or create virtual interfaces. Management doesn't need to involve the router at all other than forwarding 443 => 30443, which I rather enjoy esp when it comes time to update the firmware.

As far as the service record thing, the command you reference is for specifying an upstream DNS server...doesn't really apply here since it just redirects the DNS query itself. A SRV record is specified as, for example:
Code:
srv-host=example.com,192.168.0.200,30443

I'm able to get dnsmasq to return the correct value when quering the SRV record using nslookup, but there seems to be some secret sauce for getting the browser to request a SRV record rather than an A record. Also tried specifying the service and protocol type as in the below, with the same results:
Code:
srv-host=_https._tcp.example.com,192.168.0.200,30443

CTF is beginning to seem like more trouble than it's worth Confused
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
CTF is propritary Broadcom. The devs at dd-wrt has no control over it.
Rezer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
CTF is propritary Broadcom. The devs at dd-wrt has no control over it.

Yeah totally, I'm aware it's a black box. Was just hoping there might be a way to exempt certain traffic before it gets stuffed into the box, though that's not looking promising Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: