[Solved]RT-N66U CTF Crash/Reboot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
toma678
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 21:03    Post subject: [Solved]RT-N66U CTF Crash/Reboot Reply with quote
Having upgraded ISP speed, I found CTF was necessary to take advantage of this new speed (500Mbps), having been previously using SFE.

Moving to CTF gains much higher throughput, but appears to result in a ~15 min crash/reboot loop. The device will function fine for around 10-15 mins, then crash, reboot etc.

Capturing the logs for this crash is proving difficult, given it's overwritten on reboot. Is the remote syslog server the only way to capture this?

Build is v3.0-r54914 mega. I've reverted a couple of builds back (to r54682) to check if it's a recent regression that's been missed, but this behaviour appears in r54682 also.

Hopefully it's something obvious I've missed as I'd rather not have to upgrade hardware just yet (if CTF isn't stable on the N66U or something similar)

Last edited by toma678 on Mon Jan 29, 2024 20:04; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Could be failing power supply.

If you have a spare one try that

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 22:25    Post subject: Logging to USB / Remote Logging Reply with quote
You could probably log to an attached USB drive for troubleshooting purposes:

Logging With DD-WRT | DD-WRT Wiki

Logging on usb store AND remote monitoring

Log to pendrive (2016)

Log to pendrive (2018)

Scripts to keep Date and logs between reboots

System Log on USB

Store logs on USB pendrives (2022)

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
toma678
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the feedback both.

I've managed to get the log saving to a USB stick. I don't have a spare PSU with that barrel jack on, but I do have a 19V laptop charger that's looking a fair candidate to sacrifice (just needs the connector soldering on). I'd have expected the USB stick to have caused a PSU brownout if it was that close to the limit. Equally, with SFE enabled, the processor regularly hits 100% and as such should theoretically be drawing max current (unless the CTF silicon is particularly hungry?).

The logs aren't particularly useful - The last entry was a routine NTP update before a kernel warning that the USB stick wasn't properly dismounted. There was however a line reporting a successful shutdown of a cron but this is contradicted by a line saying cron death and fail to lock cron.pid.

The sudden nature of failure does appear to point to a PSU fault, but the traffic flowing at the time was relatively minimal (i.e. pretty much idle). Is there a way I can increase the verbosity of the logs? I will try a different PSU in the meantime.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
nvram set console_debug=1 && nvram commit
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
toma678
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks very much for the assistance both.
After finally receiving the correct size barrel jacks in the post (who thought a 2.5x0.7mm jack was a good idea!), I soldered it onto the spare charger lead and (so far) have had no issues, with an uptime of just under 2 days.
I will mark the post as solved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: