Odd extender behavior

MLandi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 16:11    Post subject: Odd extender behavior Reply with quote
I'm hoping someone will recognize this issue and provide some assistance. At home, I have a R9000 and two AX1800 WiFi Mesh Extenders. The R9000 is in the center of the house and the extenders are on the north and south sides. The system provides great signal to the house and the porch behind it. Very stable, except..

When I flash an update to the R9000, the router reboots and the extenders reconnect. All seems well. However, after a few hours, the devices on the extenders stop getting traffic. I can log into the extenders, see that they are up (or so it looks like) and I see the devices connected. However, no traffic from the R9000 flows to the devices. If I unplug the extender for a few minutes (10 seconds or so is not enough) and plug it back in, everything connects and all works...except it will happen again in a few hours. Repeating the process a second time seems to work and it stays stable.

I'm wondering if something is caching or somehow how cleanly configuring on a cold boot. Does anyone have any thought?

Linux 4.9.337-rt197 #727 SMP Fri Apr 26 17:07:43 +07 2024 armv7l
Gateway, AP, DNSMasq, Clock 2000MHz
VAP on wlan1 for internet devices
IPv4 & IPv6 (Prefix Delegation)
Static Leases & DHCP
CloudFlare, no SFE, SmartDNS, no QoS
2.4GHz: Vanilla, Airtime Fairness, NG-Mixed, ACK Timing 3150, WPA2 w/AES & WPA3
5GHz: Vanilla, Airtime Fairness, AC/N Mixed, ACK Timing 3150, WPA2 w/AES & WPA3
2 Netgear AX1800 WiFi Mesh Extenders
Xfinity 1.2Gbps/35Mbps
Sponsor
feliciano
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 20:35    Post subject: Re: Odd extender behavior Reply with quote
MLandi wrote:
Very stable, except..

When I flash an update to the R9000, the router reboots and the extenders reconnect. All seems well. However, after a few hours, the devices on the extenders stop getting traffic.

This happens with any firmware update you flashed to the main unit, or just with a particular build (or range of)? If this has been happening for you, perhaps it would worth mentioning/reviewing any special settings you may have.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 21:24    Post subject: Re: Odd extender behavior Reply with quote
feliciano wrote:
MLandi wrote:
Very stable, except..

When I flash an update to the R9000, the router reboots and the extenders reconnect. All seems well. However, after a few hours, the devices on the extenders stop getting traffic.

This happens with any firmware update you flashed to the main unit, or just with a particular build (or range of)? If this has been happening for you, perhaps it would worth mentioning/reviewing any special settings you may have.

Any update. I've gotten in the habit of rebooting the extenders but I do not understand why that is nescessary

Linux 4.9.337-rt197 #727 SMP Fri Apr 26 17:07:43 +07 2024 armv7l
Gateway, AP, DNSMasq, Clock 2000MHz
VAP on wlan1 for internet devices
IPv4 & IPv6 (Prefix Delegation)
Static Leases & DHCP
CloudFlare, no SFE, SmartDNS, no QoS
2.4GHz: Vanilla, Airtime Fairness, NG-Mixed, ACK Timing 3150, WPA2 w/AES & WPA3
5GHz: Vanilla, Airtime Fairness, AC/N Mixed, ACK Timing 3150, WPA2 w/AES & WPA3
2 Netgear AX1800 WiFi Mesh Extenders
Xfinity 1.2Gbps/35Mbps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: