d-link dir 878 "bricked" with dd-wrt firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
bermisch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 19:52    Post subject: d-link dir 878 "bricked" with dd-wrt firmware Reply with quote
Hello,
With the router dir 878, which browser version, firefox or other (I have a linux recent distrib PC) is able to upload a new build (e.g the last build 53445 dlink-dir878-a1-webflash.bin) to the router with the emergency page "d-link router recovery mode". This page is easily accessible on PC at 192.168.0.1 while pressing the reset button on the router at power on.

But clicking "upload" falls in timeout after few minutes without apparently uploading nothing.
Other methods also fail (curl, tftp..)
This issue is known but no working solution or workaround has been given to my knowledge, or rather tricky.
The router is presently "bricked" with an older build (08 jul 2023)
Regards
Bermisch
Sponsor
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
You don't use the webflash.bin for Emergency Room flashing on this device:

D-Link DIR-878 A1 Support - pg 10

D-Link DIR-878 A1 Support - pg 11 (confirmation of success)

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
bermisch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 16:44    Post subject: d-link dir 878 "bricked" with dd-wrt firmware Reply with quote
Ok Dale, but the problem occurs at the last step. Everything is ok up to the point I have chosen the file to upload,

I have the connection with the DIR-878 on IP 192.168.0.1 running, my own IP being set manually to 195.168.0.50 and my browser is a firefox for linux Mageia 8 64b version 102.13 OESR.

I get the page "D-Link router recovery mode" and I am able to choose the file to upload/flash. But after clicking 'upmoad" nothing happens and the survey of the ethernet adaptor of the PC shows nearly no traffic on the line. After a while I get a time-out.
Normaly, no encrypted file must be used for this DIR-878 A1

There seem to be a problem of misunderstanding between the browser and the D-link due to a too recent (?) version of firefox. Some people seem to have experienced this problem, (forum open wrt eg.) but no valuable solution has been proposed, except may be using an old version (which one ?) of firefox
(forgive my english I am french speaker)
Regards
Bermisch
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
It has already been noted to use an antique version of Firefox Portable, which is impossible on Linux, but apparently you can run an older version or multiple versions. Otherwise, you have to purge or remove current version and install and older version manually, etc. Firefox-ESR will not cut the mustard in this case, it has to be a REALLY OLD version (if you've found the forum references on this - not re-linking them here):

https://askubuntu.com/questions/505895/how-can-i-install-an-older-version-of-firefox

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

==========

Il a déjà été noté d’utiliser une version antique de Firefox Portable, ce qui est impossible sur Linux, mais apparemment, vous pouvez exécuter une version plus ancienne ou plusieurs versions. Sinon, vous devez purger ou supprimer la version actuelle et installer manuellement l’ancienne version, etc. Firefox-ESR ne coupera pas la moutarde dans ce cas, il doit s'agir d'une version VRAIMENT ANCIENNE (si vous avez trouvé les références du forum à ce sujet - ne pas les relier ici):

https://askubuntu.com/questions/505895/how-can-i-install-an-older-version-of-firefox

https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
bermisch wrote:
There seem to be a problem of misunderstanding between the browser and the D-link due to a too recent (?) version of firefox. Some people seem to have experienced this problem, (forum open wrt eg.) but no valuable solution has been proposed, except may be using an old version (which one ?) of firefox

Ok, I guess I will give you a link to search results via Google. The version known to work is new as version 13.x:

https://www.google.com/search?q=firefox+d-link+emergency+room+site%3Aforum.dd-wrt.com&oq=firefox+d-link+emergency+room+site%3Aforum.dd-wrt.com

bermisch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I succeeded in uploading "factory-to-ddwrt-r53714.bin" to the dir-878 but no effect, it does not reboot . I wonder if i should revert first to the factory link from d-link.

I would like to upload the recent link dlink-dir878-a1-webflash-r53714.bin but I have not succeded yet.
To upload the factory-ddwrt I have used curl.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you try factory firmware, use the file noted here in earlier linked reference:

SoLoR wrote:
afaik you cant upgrade from recovery mode if you are on firmware 1.04+, because they added encryption and signing... you need to downgrade first to that firmware that you can get here: ftp://ftp.dlink.ca/PRODUCTS/DIR-878/DIR878A1_FW104B05_Middle_FW_Unencrypt.bin

You will need to use an FTP client or a browser that supports FTP like Pale Moon to get the file.

bermisch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
My main purpose is to execute a "wake on wan" on a pc considered a server by using the "arp" command on the router to transmit a "magic packet" to the PC while in suspend mode or even stopped. I think it is not passible with the factory link, but I previously succeeded to wake up from the pc from the wan through a box and the router but with a "bad" link.
bermisch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Everything fine with the unencrypted factory link and curl!
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the update. Were you able to flash back to DD-WRT successfully?

bermisch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I shall do it after examining what "good" dd-wrt link to upload to the router. I hope it should not brick again. It was difficult to resolve the problem and the different informations are somewhat cofusing for me. Remember I am a newbie in dd-wrt.
Best regards.
bermisch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just few words to remember : I did not succed in uploading a version of dd-wrt firmware to my d-link dir 878 which was previously bricked and unbricked by flashing a version of factory firmware (with great difficulty).
It works with the factory firmware but I am not able to setup a way to execute a wake-on-wan from internet on the connected PC, which is my goal.
I tried the web Interface (192.168.0.1) with firefox but the "update" function refuses to flash the dd-wrt (uncrypted factory to ddwrt) firmware : "udate failed". What to do ? Try to use a new factory firmware ?
Regards
Bermisch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: