R6700v3 and R8000 suggested builds?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
epick818
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:21    Post subject: R6700v3 and R8000 suggested builds? Reply with quote
I have a netgear r6700 v3 running ddwrt v3.0-r37015M kongac (09/23/18/) .
I would like to know if this is the most stable version. I am new to ddwrt and flashing routers.
That being said I have some questions?
Can you upgrade or downgrade from .chk to .chk?
Meaning if i use the .chk file from the ddwrt website can i then upgrade to the .chk file from kong?
I understand the .chk file is uploaded from the stock webgui of netgear and then upgraded via the bin.
My question is are the .chk files different for each .bin file or can i use the one from the ddwrt website then flash a .bin file from kong?

The netgear r8000 is currently on the latest netgear firmware however i encounter alot of disconnection issues on the 2.4 ghz band. I flashed the latest beta ddwrt firmware from the ddwrt site but i still encountered disconnection issues.
I also tried the kong build both the stable and the one in the test folder for the r8000.
I once again got disconnection issues .

After several days of reading and trying to understand ddwrt i saw in another post that you can input:
ddup --latest --unattended
or
ddup -flash -latest
(these are not the actual commands just bits of what i can recall from memory, if someone knows the correct commands please pm me)
from the command interface.
My question is can these commands be ran from any ddwrt version (the initial .chk) and it will find the correct version that it needs for the r8000 or do I need to install a .bin file pertaining to the r8000 first then input the command?

Backstory: I been using an asus rtnd12 for a while but eventually the workload was to much for it to handle in my home . I decided to upgrade to something more powerful and after doing some research I went with the r8000. Truthfully my initial decision was based on netgears reputation and the design of the router. As ive never owned a fancy router before i thought the r8000 looked freaking beast with its 6 antennas. The router worked great for about 2 weeks then i started to notice connection errors as well as connection drops on the 2.4ghz.
On the 5 ghz band i never loose connection but it does get rather laggy. I notice this because on the hulu ads the count down timer is never right its always behind. If you pay close attention as your watching tv there is a very subtle pause here and there. So i opted to give netgear one more chance and this time i went to amazon.com the r6700v3 came up as the best consumer router and I looked on ddwrt prior to buying it and i saw that there was alot more forums for it . I bought one for cheap on offerup.
Right when i got it I upgraded it to the latest version firmware but the 5ghz band was not active or non working. That made me rather irritated but i decided id that i was going to get one of these 2 routers working or not stop until i bricked them.
The r6700 i went straight to kong builds and used the .chk and .bin file from the stable versions not the test folder.
After the .bin flash i used
input:
erase nvram && reboot
it would keep erasing the .bin file and reverting to the version from the .chk file
I then started from scratch.
I uploaded the latest version of netgear for the r6700v3. The 5ghz band was present in the router interface but not visible on any of my devices.
I installed the .chk file from the test folder in kong builds for the 6700v3
waited 5 minutes (used a timer)
then i factory default the .chk firmware
then i input:
erase nvram && reboot
waited 5 minutes(used timer)
logged into webgui of ddwrt and hit reboot
I then uploaded the .bin file from kongs test folder for the 6700v3 .
waited 5 minutes
factory defaulted
then input
erase nvram && reboot
this time around kongs build stayed and didnt get reverted back to the .chk firmware.
I got happy i got it loaded that i forgot to reboot the device or do anything else after that.
Next came the issue of the non working 5ghz band
i was able to fix this issue by
input:
startservice radio_off_0
startservice radio_on_0
i got back an error something eth1 not found or whatever.
input:
startservice radio_off_1
startservice radio_on_1
you dont get any error or verification
input
startservice radio_off_2
startservice radio_on_2
you dont get any error or verification

reboot the router.

The router ran perfectly for 1 day 20 hrs before i started getting errors and lag.

I started again from scratch only this time after starting and restarting the radio antennas i did 3 reboots back to back .
As of now my router is running great, surprisingly i have very few errors on the 5ghz band and more on the 2.4 ghz .

My settings are as follows:

wl0:2.4ghz
wireless mode:ap
wireless network mode:mixed
ssid:TheHive
Wireless Channel :6-2.437 ghz
channel width :20mhz
ssid broadcast :enabled
optimize multicast traffic: enabled
network configuration :bridged

wl1 5ghz
ap mode
mixed mode
TheHive2
channel:48 (only 5ghz channel firestick tv picks up)
channel width:vht80
extension channel :upper upper
wireless broadcast enable
optimize multicast enable
explicit beamforcing enable
implicit beamforcing enable
airtime fairness disabled
network configuration bridged
no virtual interfaces for either 2.4 or 5ghz.
mac radius disabled
wpa2-psk aes on both channels
mac filter disabled
dnsmasq enabled
no dns rebind enabled
query dns in strict order enabled
telnet enabled
ttraff daemon enabled
spi firewall enabled
arp spoofing protection enabled
block anonymous wan requests(ping)enabled
filter multicast enabled
filter ident port 113 enabled
block wan snmp access enabled
everything else is untouched or set at its default values.

as of 5/13/2019 the router is working efficently and i havent rebooted in 22 hours.
I modded an old laptop cooling fan with a usb charger for a phone rated at 5v1am
prior to this my temperatures would be
cpu 78.7c /wl0 60.4/wl1 70.4 c
now with the cooling fan they read
cpu 56.4 c/wl0 40.2 c/wl1 48.5c

tx power is set to auto
should i set it to 150 like seen in various other ddwrt post or should i set it at tx 55?
according to a video on youtube a lower tx will give me less errors?
if i set it to 150 i get more range and transmission power but it creates more heat and more errors according to the youtube video?

any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
my main goal is to have a lag free enviorment in my home.
The main purpose of my network is for streaming via firesticks and for gaming.
I have yet to learn how to port forward or QOS.
I have not yet tried to flash using tftp32 or tftp windows built in.
I would like not to have to constantly keep rebooting my router whether it be manually or with a schedule.
As i learn more about ddwrt i would like to be able to access the usb storage from the router on all of my devices.

what would be my best setup using what i have available?
I have a motorola surboard sb6183
netgear r6700v3 ddwrt v3.0-r37015m kongac (09/23/1Cool
netgear r8000 R8000-V1.0.4.28_10.1.54
linksys wrt54g v3
linksys wrt54g v8.2

should i use the netgear routers one as client and the other as a repeater?
should i use the wrt54g to create an independent network only for my cellular phones and test pcs?
will having multiple networks make devices run at higher speeds?
for example if i only hook up my firestick tvs
to the 5ghz band on the netgear router and
my computer and laptop to the 2.4ghz should i then create a virtual guest network for the rest of the members of my family. They dont know anything about networking nor are they interested in sharing things via a network.I on the other hand would find it very beneficial if i can have access to all of my devices.
I would like to stream videos on my pc to my ps4 and old ps3 in my garage. I would like to also be able to access my saved data when im not home from my phone.
And finally i would like to set up i.p cameras i can access from my phone as well.

Sorry for my unorganized post , thanks in advance for your help and thanks to those that take there time to help others and mod hardware. Ive never been involved in a forum before but i hope i can be helped and help in the future.
I have extensive knowledge and experience building, repairing and customizing pcs as well as modding/hacking/flashing phones.
One day with your help ill be a ddwrt guru Smile

*it is very important to be patient in between flashes to allow the nvram to install properly.
when you are not able to access the router via 192.168.1.1 it is often due to the fact you need to clear your cache in browser.
for flashing routers i found that internet explorer with no addons or extensions works best.
for netgear routers dont do the 30/30/30 reset
after the flash to .chk file you need to wait 5 minutes then unplug the router
this is also the same for reverting back to stock
from ddwrt upload latest netgear .chk firmware
it will say upload successful
wait 5 minutes then unplug router

most post say when reverting to stock firmware to choose the latest why is that?
will i brick my router if i flash back to stock with something other than the latest firmware?
I would think it would be best to flash the oldest original firmware and then flash to the latest ddwrt that way all the hardware is fully functional?

if i do need to flash to the latest will i then be able to downgrade firmware versions or will it tell me i cant due to security vulnerabilities.

reason i ask is because if i cant get the r8000 to work with ddwrt the only other solution is to revert to the firmware before the latest netgear firmware.
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well to much questions to answer Smile

See my signature at the bottom of the page for a guide for the R6700v3, you will find a lot of answers in it.

Some important things:
The .chk file is only used when coming from stock, after that use the .bin file

After an upgrade reset to defaults by telnetting into your router and do:
Code:
nvram erase && reboot

Yes since mid 2018 it is nvram erase and not erase nvram!
Put settings in manually do not restore from a backup!

I use Kong's builds and get the latest build with ddup --flash-latest but take note those are his test builds!
ddup --flash-unattended will get you the latest stable build.
These commands work only on builds from Kong.

Look in the build threads to see is if a build has problems, see here for the latest Kong (test) build:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=319730

In the build threads you can see that not everybody is doing an nvram erase everytime, I do it periodically or when I encounter problems.
I would also do it when I would switch between BS and Kong's builds

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
sanfordshazam
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the help, here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: