DD-WRT ON NETGEAR ROUTER R7000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
danhulk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 19:07    Post subject: DD-WRT ON NETGEAR ROUTER R7000 Reply with quote
i have dd-wrt installed on a netgear router r7000.my question is i have ipvanish vpn installed on this router working just fine.if i every update the firmware on this router will i loose my ipvanish vpn settings.thank you
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi and welcome to the forum...

See the forum guidelines with helpful pointers about, how to research your router, where and what firmware to download, where and how to post and many other helpful tips:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

few words to say..as we dont know firmware number you use...we cant say anything than you should update in order to keep up to date with security updates and software fixes...

its good to update and (reset via button !!) and rebuild your settings manually, do not load save file from a different builds...especially coming form an old build...(probably)...

you can try to update with no reset and if router behaves odd than reset and rebuild...manually..
you can save...your settings via export to pdf via browser...and than its easy to copy/paste the data..

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
What dd-wrt build (number) are you running?

A build upgrade to one less than a year newer usually can be done without losing anything - take care not to "reset" to the default config - but always read the new-build thread (in the forum for your router) for your new build before making the jump, to see what others experienced. A bigger jump than a year will often have trouble unless you "nvram erase" (or the GUI equivalent) to reset the config to dd-wrt defaults after the upgrade, followed by you carefully re-entering your settings, ideally testing as you go. And there have been some specific points in dd-wrt history, including one a couple of years ago for my own router family, when crossing from before to after required this clear/re-enter procedure even if the build date jump was only a month! Again, the new-build thread is your friend.

It is generally advised not to use the built-in config reset that you can select from the upgrade menu but to do it explicitly, and to be super safe, do it both before and after flashing the new build.

The sane thing to do either way is to use your phone camera to record every page of the GUI (don't forget to scroll and/or expand stuff) before upgrading, so that you'll have the info you need to re-enter. For the complicated things like OpenVPN additional config and various keys and signature files, copy them with the mouse into some file on your computer for safekeeping. (Not WORD. Use something that works with plain text.) Then you can copy those back afterward if need be.

Be aware, if you are coming from an old build, that OpenVPN on dd-wrt has improved tremendously, and most of the additional config material recommended by VPN providers is no longer necessary. Generally it is best to start with the additional config empty to see what happens. Also be aware that in general, dd-wrt instructions provided by VPN companies are obsolete or full of errors or both. Best to instead have a look at the OpenVPN client setup guide posted in the sticky posts at the beginning of the Advanced Networking forum. It has been kept up to date as the changes have accumulated in OpenVPN and is the best source of how-to info.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
danhulk
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I AM RUNNING DD-WRT V3.0-r51729 std(02/16/2023) ON A NETGEAR r7000
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
You will not loose your settings when you upgrade but it does not hurt to check your settings as there are many changes.
See:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327398

You need the Client setup guide, which also has a paragraph about IPVanish

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: