Netgear r7800 nordvpn keeps disconnecting

BobbyPetta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 18:07    Post subject: Netgear r7800 nordvpn keeps disconnecting Reply with quote
Noob here, I have installed nordvpn on my netgear r7800 with the latest dd-wrt stable firmware with the killswitch enabled. At least once a day I lose internet connection and need to reboot the router for it to work again. I have the watchdog enabled and have spoken to nordvpn support a few times, they have got me to alter some settings but still keeps happening. I have tried installing the latest beta versions of dd-wrt to the router but when I do I cant get any internet connection at all and I need to reinstall the stable version again. Anyone any ideas why I need to keep rebooting it every day as it works fine otherwise, any help would be appreciated.
Sponsor
computerperson
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe this will help.

You posted in the Broadcom SoC based Hardware forum.

The Netgear r7800 should be in the Atheros WiSOC based Hardware forum.

If you are using the Privacy app, that is you access the VPN via browser in the Status-MyPage tabs, this Flashrouter Privacy app is being discontinued and may no longer be stable.

The easiest way to use NordVPN is via the Services-VPN tab in the web browser, and use the Import Configuration section which fills in everything EXCEPT your Username and Password, which you get from NordVPN as your Credentials. This is NOT your NordVPN website username and password, it is a special set of credentials generated by NordVPN.

I typically get the file generated by NordVPN from the NordVPN recommended server web page https://nordvpn.com/servers/tools/ and save the files to a folder on my local drive, from where I upload it using the Import Configuration Files button.

Letting the configuration file populate the VPN configuration page has so far been very stable with no incorrect configurations and no disconnects like I used to have using the Privacy app or manually configuring the VPN page.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
*Actually*, considering it's a question regarding VPN, it should be posted in the "Advanced Networking" Forum.

Topic moved. Please see/read the OpenVPN guides in the sticky if you have any further questions.

Sticky: OpenVPN guides and documentation

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
BobbyPetta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have already set up nordvpn this way with the credentials and not the username and password as per the instructions on the nordvpn website but still no luck

computerperson wrote:
Maybe this will help.

You posted in the Broadcom SoC based Hardware forum.

The Netgear r7800 should be in the Atheros WiSOC based Hardware forum.

If you are using the Privacy app, that is you access the VPN via browser in the Status-MyPage tabs, this Flashrouter Privacy app is being discontinued and may no longer be stable.

The easiest way to use NordVPN is via the Services-VPN tab in the web browser, and use the Import Configuration section which fills in everything EXCEPT your Username and Password, which you get from NordVPN as your Credentials. This is NOT your NordVPN website username and password, it is a special set of credentials generated by NordVPN.

I typically get the file generated by NordVPN from the NordVPN recommended server web page https://nordvpn.com/servers/tools/ and save the files to a folder on my local drive, from where I upload it using the Import Configuration Files button.

Letting the configuration file populate the VPN configuration page has so far been very stable with no incorrect configurations and no disconnects like I used to have using the Privacy app or manually configuring the VPN page.
computerperson
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
The NordVPN website instructions give you a whole whack of parameters to set up.

Nord does do NOT tell you to use the Import Configuration method.

So did you use the Import Configuration method, or manually input all the info?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:50    Post subject: Re: Netgear r7800 nordvpn keeps disconnecting Reply with quote
BobbyPetta wrote:
Noob here, I have installed nordvpn on my netgear r7800 with the latest dd-wrt stable firmware with the killswitch enabled. At least once a day I lose internet connection and need to reboot the router for it to work again. I have the watchdog enabled and have spoken to nordvpn support a few times, they have got me to alter some settings but still keeps happening. I have tried installing the latest beta versions of dd-wrt to the router but when I do I cant get any internet connection at all and I need to reinstall the stable version again. Anyone any ideas why I need to keep rebooting it every day as it works fine otherwise, any help would be appreciated.

Exactly what do you mean with stable and experimental?

It is better to use buildnumbers.

All DDWRT builds are beta builds there is no stable build, however for this router there has been a recent switch to kernel 6.1, those builds are a W.I.P.

Former speakers already gave good advice, almost all VPN providers give wrong and outdated instructions, you better follow the DDWRT Client setup guide, which even has a dedicated paragraph about Nord VPN.

If you cannot make it work with this then post your settings and logs as instructed in the guide.

About OpenVPN disconnects those are often problematic, OpenVPN does not always recover from a disconnect.
Some providers have frequent disconnects other providers seldom, when I used OpenVPN with Mullvad I had maybe one disconnect in two weeks.
To deal with disconnect you can use the build in watchdog.

WireGuard is the much better option to use as VPN, it is much easier to setup and can usually recover by itself from disconnects (although DDWRT's WireGuard implementation also has a watchdog in case a server is down) and is three times faster than OpenVPN.

My advice forget OpenVPN and use WireGuard

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
BobbyPetta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had entered the details manually, I’ve done what you said now and upgraded to the latest build (03/13/24) as well so will see how that goes, thanks for your help

computerperson wrote:
The NordVPN website instructions give you a whole whack of parameters to set up.

Nord does do NOT tell you to use the Import Configuration method.

So did you use the Import Configuration method, or manually input all the info?
BobbyPetta
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:43    Post subject: Re: Netgear r7800 nordvpn keeps disconnecting Reply with quote
I have updated to the latest build now and used the import configuration so going to see how that goes, when setting up wire guard where would I get the nordvpn wireguard config file?

egc wrote:
BobbyPetta wrote:

Exactly what do you mean with stable and experimental?

It is better to use buildnumbers.

All DDWRT builds are beta builds there is no stable build, however for this router there has been a recent switch to kernel 6.1, those builds are a W.I.P.

Former speakers already gave good advice, almost all VPN providers give wrong and outdated instructions, you better follow the DDWRT Client setup guide, which even has a dedicated paragraph about Nord VPN.

If you cannot make it work with this then post your settings and logs as instructed in the guide.

About OpenVPN disconnects those are often problematic, OpenVPN does not always recover from a disconnect.
Some providers have frequent disconnects other providers seldom, when I used OpenVPN with Mullvad I had maybe one disconnect in two weeks.
To deal with disconnect you can use the build in watchdog.

WireGuard is the much better option to use as VPN, it is much easier to setup and can usually recover by itself from disconnects (although DDWRT's WireGuard implementation also has a watchdog in case a server is down) and is three times faster than OpenVPN.

My advice forget OpenVPN and use WireGuard
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:56    Post subject: Re: Netgear r7800 nordvpn keeps disconnecting Reply with quote
BobbyPetta wrote:
I have updated to the latest build now and used the import configuration so going to see how that goes, when setting up wire guard where would I get the nordvpn wireguard config file?

Ask NordVPN, but as far as I know NordVPN does not support WireGuard on the router directly but maybe they have finally added this.

There is a workaround which is described in the WireGuard VPN client setup guide (WireGuard docs are a sticky in this forum).
But bottom line probably is to ditch NordVPN and use a decent provider which supports WireGuard on the router.

Edit: about openvpn you might need to disable dco as described in the guide and in the changelog

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
computerperson
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just got off another lengthy chat with NordVPN support regarding Wireguard (NordLynx) and can confirm they do not have any option for NordLynx installed on a router, dd-wrt OpenVPN or otherwise.

I got the same answer from NordVPN as I have been getting for 2 years:
Quote:
Our developers are working on providing manual connection methods. However, at this time, I am unable to provide any ETA as to when the protocol availability will be expanded.

and

Quote:
...your payment has passed our 30 days refund policy and we are unable to make partial refunds of the service

So too bad so sad, I guess. Not enough demand for the router-based Wireguard service from NordVPN, so we will have to look elsewhere.

P.S. Their chat did not have the capability to generate a transcript, but I did manage to copy the text of the entire chat if anyone is interested.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
chats with VPN providers are semi-useless...
85% of the time they dont know their own stuff...
best move is to research in the forums and ect...
dont trust stupid 'best VPN' web results those are all crap...

So, far for versatility and usability Mullvad takes the lead...
Best money can buy PIA... Cool

Best advise ...read egc VPN and WG guides..look at the sticky's Cool

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
mikesal57
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
chats with VPN providers are semi-useless...
85% of the time they dont know their own stuff...
best move is to research in the forums and ect...
dont trust stupid 'best VPN' web results those are all crap...

So, far for versatility and usability Mullvad takes the lead...
Best money can buy PIA... Cool

Best advise ...read egc VPN and WG guides..look at the sticky's Cool

Thank you for this thread....

Your right , texting Nord support is useless but they told me to chat on their site which is a chat bot that gave same stupid answer
Google gave answer that Nord has a Wireguard Client....WRONG AGAIN...

PIA is a better value and has Wireguard support at half the price of Mullvad...but you need to purchase 3 years @ $2.03 which is the cheapest I saw...

Alozaros...can you answer my other thread please..under "Disconnected" thx
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
mikesal57 wrote:
PIA is a better value and has Wireguard support at half the price of Mullvad...but you need to purchase 3 years @ $2.03 which is the cheapest I saw...

As of 2 weeks ago PIA did NOT offer WireGuard on the router.
And my chat(s) with them convinced me they never will.
Their WG support is client side only.

Yep they are cheap in more ways than one.
I used them for 7 or 8 years but no more.

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad (1.1M blocked) + Blocklist Collection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: