No DHCP client on DD-WRT?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
syko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 0:51    Post subject: No DHCP client on DD-WRT? Reply with quote
I just bought a WRT54GL and immediately flashed it with DD-WRT (mini, then standard). The problem is, DHCP doesn't seem to work. And by DHCP I mean the router can't seem to acquire an Internet address. Internal DHCP works fine, wireless or wired, but external dhcp doesn't. I know my connection is working because if i plug it into my WRT54G v5 with linksys firmware it works fine. I tried ssh'ing into the DD-WRT box and 'dhcpcd' doesn't exist. Maybe this has something to do with it? :P

Any ideas? Am I still on the mini firmware but I just don't know it or something?
Sponsor
blaser
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you clone the Mac address?
Make sure that the new router has the same Mac address as the old one on the WAN port.
syko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 0:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
That never seemed to matter before (the old router doesn't have a cloned MAC), but I'll give it a shot. Or maybe I should just restart the cable modem. I'll post back in a few.
syko
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, tried cloning the mac of the old router -- no luck. Then tried turning off the router and the cable modem, and powering up the modem first and then the router, and no luck there either. Tried release/renew a few times for each, but it still says 0.0.0.0.

It still seems very odd that there is no 'dhcpcd' command installed when I ssh into the router...

EDIT: Looks like there's a 'udhcpc' command instead...but it doesn't work. It compains about not being able to find a script, and then it tries anyway ("Sending discover...") but then it just fails after a few tries....ok fine so it doesn't really fail automatically, I kill it after about 10 tries because it seems pretty hopeless Razz
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
udhcpc is used for the gui setting too. so if you start it from commandline and you still cannot get a ip its no firmware fault. then you simply have no network connection to a dhcp server or your dhcp server has special settings which can also be configured in dd-wrt (service name for example under Administration->Services)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, after some crazy combination of restarting the router, restarting my cable modem, and restoring factory defaults on the router, it finally got an IP. I have no idea why it was so difficult :/ Thanks for your help.

But now I have a different issue involving apply.cgi and saving settings...
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
remember to disable stp. some cable providers like comcast having troubles with this setting

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:51    Post subject: Same problem... Reply with quote
Hello,

I am having the same problem as syko; namely my wrt54gs v1 with dd-wrt v.23 sp1 (6/28/06 or sp1 final) can't seem to pull an ip address from my cable isp, ygnition.net. On very rare occasions it is able to pull an ip, but only after more than 15 minutes. With the standard linksys firmware, it can pull an ip fairly quickly. I've tried disabling stp and tinkering with the vendorclass string. My mac address is being cloned from my laptop. I've had somewhat better luck pulling an ip with v23 (not sp1) but the overall stability of sp1 is so much better (and vastly superior to my old sveasoft setup) that i would prefer if there was a way to figure this out. I have limited experience with linux; mainly involving my good ole' empeg mark 2 and not with networking under linux. Oh, and if I setup a static ip for short periods of time i am able to connect, but i would rather not incur the wrath of my isp by keeping it.

Does anyone have any other thoughts?

Thanks for your help,

mike
Jschmuck2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Same issue here on my WRT54Gv5 Sad
rajeshh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
>But now I have a different issue involving apply.cgi and saving settings

Is it that you are not able to save settings?..Did you reset and reboot after the flash?

See the faq.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: