Simpler QoS for VoIP?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
RizSher
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 13:27    Post subject: Simpler QoS for VoIP? Reply with quote
Hello,

A lot of us use the DD-WRT firmware really only for VoIP Qos, i.e to make sure voice calls are always optimal over all other kind of traffic. The current setup for QoS works for some, not so well for some, not at all for others.

Possibly part of the reason is the broadband connection speed varies throughout the day b/w peak and off-peak times, and the 80-90% limits we put in the QoS setup is unable to cope with these variations.

I was wondering, if it'll be possible to have a QoS option which monitors the 4 hardware ports and the moment it detects increased traffic due to an incoming call on the port the VoIP ATAs is connected to (increased over the usual registration to VoIP server traffic), it would automatically throttle the available bandwidth to all other interfaces, LAN Ports, Wirelss clients down to a trickle, leavign bulk of the available bandwidth to the VoIP service. This would make the bandwidth management feature independant of the daily variations.

I know this is not the best way as far as overall QoS is concerned, but, for VoIP users, where the Wife Acceptance Factor is supreme, this could be a good way to do things.

Any thoughts on this ?
Sponsor
RizSher
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone... is it a totally asinine thing to ask for?.
RizSher
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
136 views and no thoughts?..
jayh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
RizSher wrote:
Anyone... is it a totally asinine thing to ask for?.

No, but its been posted a billion times already.

Anyway, you do not list the model wrt that you have. Not that It should matter
but its nice to associate experience with the same product.

This is the best QOS implementation that I have found so far and it works flawlessly
on my WRT54G V6. I am using SP2 7-24, although this works fine on SP1 as well.

Try this setup so see if it satifies the WIFE factor.

Fist, remove mac and port priorities, they do not work, period.

Second, figure out your true bandwidth. I suggest not using the information that
your provider says you have, but do some true testing. Upload a large file via ftp to
a web server or something and figure out your true bandwidth by using something like
DUmeter (with average values set in the options).

Do the same for your download speed. Although this is not as critical as the UPLOAD
bandwidth setting, It still is significant for inside the lan as far as your receive breaking
up or not.

Ok now that you got your bandwidth figured out according to true tests we can now
move on to the settings.

Setup your computer to a static IP as well as your ATA (I am guessing you are using packet8???) If you are using default settings for dhcp on your router then set the computer and ata to an address above 192.168.1.150, this way you do not interfere
with other lan devices.

Now that your computer and ata have manual static addresses, lets setup some port
forwarding. Below are the only settings i suggest making for this test. If you have other
settings, you need to null them or load factory defaults.

starting from the top , set your bandwidth. DUmeter said I upload at 110K I am supposed to have a 768 but its a little faster, Good to know... I used 75 percent for
my uplink and about 90 percent for my downlink boxes.

Uplink 750
downloink 7000

----------------------
On to the next box, SERVICES....
Modify SIP and create a service to identify your phone service (mine is PACKET8)

For the SIP service, use UDP port range 5060 - 5070
For PACKET8, I use UDP 10000 - 65545 (this is from packet8 port range FAQ)

For Vonage, they suggest 5060 and ports 10000 - 30000 (pretty much the same)

Also add other services such as HTTP, FTP, NNTP(if you use news).
You only need to add those services which may have an imppact on your phone such
as mainly heavy downloading. If a service is not added, it will automatically be set to a default of STANDARD, which is just fine.

Now set the priorities... This is how I have mine,
SIP premium
Packet8 premium
Torrent bulk
FTP bulk
NNTP (I deleted this as it is standard)
HTTP express

If you use torrents alot and you upload alot, you might want to set nntp or ftp (or
whatever service you use) one step above torrent this way you will have a nice download rate. Otherwise, torrents will chew up the entire upload bandwidth and not give room for efficient downloading if the services were at the same priority level.
-------------------------------------

-----------------------
Netmask Priority

Set the static address of your ATA
192.168.1.160/32 (whatever you set your address to)
----------------------

Guess what... You are done.

This is how it works.. your bandwidth does not throttle to a crawl. It will provided
needed overhead plus give the phone priority processing as the packets collide
in the router. If I am uploading at 110K and downloading at 650K simultaneously,
my Phone will take about 20k or so of the up speed and I see my downloads drop
down to 580K or so because of it

Even if things dropped to a crawl like you wanted, it still would not mean you would
get clear service. But with the prioritizing, you will.

Give this a try. You should experience excellent service all around.
I did not spend all this time typing to make things up. I have done alot of testing
I mean ALOT... This works best for me and my equipment. I feel it should work
well for most any VOIP.
bigjohn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 14:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
MAC priorities do work. Port priorities do not.
I use IP mask priorities and service priorities myself, in combination, and I can make 2 voip calls on my ATA while my 4 replay TV unit use the UPLOAD bandwidth and 5 computers surf.

Do I wish there was more flexibility in setting priorities? Yep. There was a thread about this that pops up every now and again...

John

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Set SIP for premium. I have vonage and vonage uses the sip protocol. I have Bit torrents and Emule running all the time and with those set at bulk and vonage set at premium it works fine.

Magicman
j.m.
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
magicman wrote:
Set SIP for premium. I have vonage and vonage uses the sip protocol. I have Bit torrents and Emule running all the time and with those set at bulk and vonage set at premium it works fine.

Magicman

While youy may think it is working, I would be wary of this. SIP is just used for initating VOIP sessions. The actual voice data uses a different transport method and will not be caught by the SIP L7 filter. As such, it is not enough to just make SIP premium.
adisor19
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
j.m. wrote:
magicman wrote:

Magicman

While youy may think it is working, I would be wary of this. SIP is just used for initating VOIP sessions. The actual voice data uses a different transport method and will not be caught by the SIP L7 filter. As such, it is not enough to just make SIP premium.

Yes, but any service not classified, is automatically given standard priority. If you just give BULK status to your BT, and other P2P and file transfers, it should be ok.

Adi
webdog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Would QOS work if you have the Wan connected to the LAN ports? that way you can have a Public IP after the DD-WRT router?

here are my settings. Am i understanding them correct?

Lost Dog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I'm using viatalk and any Qos settings gives me instant one way audio. I can hear the caller but they cannot hear me... I followed the suggestions above but still get the issues.

If I use mac address based QoS everything is fine but if any high bandwidth programs are used on the network I get one way audio and the only fix is turning QoS off and a router reboot...

Anyone else have these issues?
beesfan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am also a Viatalk VOIP user. I had tried various alternative firmwares and was having outgoing break up voice problems until I switched to DD-WRT v23 SP1 final.

I set up QOS to have the MAC address of the PAP2 device set to premium and modified the bittorrent service item for the port I was using. Set this item to bulk and have had no voice issues since. Works flawlessly even when my son is playing Half life 2 online.

I'm on a 3000kb/256kb cable connection and set download rate to 2500 and upload to 210.
JacksonB
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just recently had a roommate move out and take the router / voip phone system we had been using with him. I dusted off my trusty old WRT54G, but I've been having trouble with voip calls. This stuff looks good to try, and is there new firmware I might try too? Rather than resort to a magic jack or something. Shocked
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please don't necro old threads. Read the forum announcements and wiki for more current advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: