Port Forwarding Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
arvetus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 20:37    Post subject: Port Forwarding Issues Reply with quote
I have set up port forwarding, however I cannot remote desktop to either computer.

192.168.1.100 is my wife's computer
192.168.1.101 is my computer

I have remote desktop set up on both (obviously, RDP works on a different port on my PC than hers). The firewall in each computer is set properly.

This worked perfectly before loading DD-WRT.

I just did a hard reset and that did nothing for me. I then did a re-flash and another hard reset. Still no workie.
Sponsor
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are running the VPN version, so make use of it. VPN into your home network and connect to RDP that way. No need for port forwarding, and it is much more secure (RDP is vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attack, but it would be encrypted safer over a VPN).
esko
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use version 24 RC-6 STD. I also use VPN to RDP through the VPN Tunnel. This works great. Is there anything else I may or may not need? I just want to make sure I am using VPN properly.
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
AFAIK, std versions uses pptp or l2tp client. It is VPN solution, but a weak one compared to OpenVPN.

However, it is hard for me to say what the performance implications of running OpenVPN on a 200MHz router would be. I run OpenVPN on a 2.6GHz dedicated server.
arvetus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the PPTP client set up to maintain my VPN connectin to work. I have the client set up and also a command in the firewall, since the network I need access too is different than the network that authenticates me. Once I'm authenticated and hold an IP address of 192.168.4.x, internal routing gives me access to the 172.16.x.x network that I need.

One thing I would like to do is be able to RDP back to the 192.168.4.x address FROM 172.16.x.x (if it's even possible). Here's my ifconfig info so you can see I am indeed pulling an address from work.

ppp0 Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
inet addr:192.168.4.55 P-t-P:192.168.4.51 Mask:255.255.255.255
UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1450 Metric:1
RX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:8 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
RX bytes:104 (104.0 B) TX bytes:116 (116.0 B)

I would also like to be able to RDP from the internet. Besides work, I may RDP in from several different locations, maybe not the same place twice. I could set up a VPN, but it wouldn't be practical, and just some extra steps to go through when I need acces to my PC.

However, that being said, could I set up the a PPTP server and then make the connection from the using the built-in Windows XP client?
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not sure if the PPTP server in DD-WRT will accept connections from Windows XP clients. I suppose it's worth a try.

I also don't understand why your port forward rules aren't working. The only things I can suggest at this point is to try making the rules TCP only (instead of "Both"). Or perhaps an upgrade to a compatible build of DD-WRT v24.
arvetus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah, me neither. I changed it to "TCP ONLY", and I also took it out of "port forwarding" and put it in "port range forwarding." If that doesn't work, I may try using a different firmware revision in the morning.

I also, don't fully understand why I can't RDP back to my VPN IP address from 172.16.x.x. I can get to the router GUI by going to my VPN IP, but I can't RDP.
arvetus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I'm a bonehead...

After doing some checking, I found that I indeed had enabled RDP in the Windows Firewall, but what I had overlooked is because I run RDP on different ports between the computers (because of the NAT restrictions), I did not change the port in the Windows Firewall. I remembered that at the same time I updated the router, I also reset the Windows Firewall back to defaults to "clean up" some old program exceptions I no longer needed.

I will go down to the courthouse tomorrow and change my name from Steve, to Ima. Ima Moron...that is my new name.

;)

Now, I just need some assistance in setting up my router (if possible) to RDP into my desktop from Work.

Any ideas based on the info given above?

As stated previously, I CAN get to the GUI by using the VPN IP (I don't have to go in on port 8080 either) and I can also telnet to it. But I don't know why I can't RDP back to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: