Client bridge + xbox system link, no connection.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
CalG
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 22:33    Post subject: Client bridge + xbox system link, no connection. Reply with quote
Bit of advice needed if anyone can help.

Both routers are running v23 sp2. Main router is connected to the modem, second router is configured as a client bridge. Everything works fine, all machines are able to connect to each other, all able to connect to the internet. Got a NAS drive hooked up to the client bridge, no problems accessing the files stored on it from either a PC or an xbox running XBMC.

Tried to play an xbox game over system link (one xbox connected directly to the main router, one to the client bridge) and the machines can't see each other.

Using a switch everything works perfectly.

Any ideas as to what in DD-WRT is preventing the machines seeing each other?

Many Thanks.
Sponsor
CalG
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sad
fritzkrieg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am right there with you. I have two linksys routers running DDWRT (not sure of the version, but I think whatever they are it is the same on each). One is upstairs connected to my DSL modem, the other is downstairs working as a bridge.

I have 2 xboxes, one upstairs connected to the primary linksys, the other is downstairs connected to the bridge.

I have been able to autodetect each xbox and transfer files between them using the file manager ftp program. I have been able to view files from my upstairs PC on the bridged xbox (I use it as a media center to play DVR shows and listen to MP3s).

When I brought the upstairs xbox down to the bridged xbox and created a system link game it connected instantly (2 xboxes, same tv, different inputs). When the xboxes are separated I can see the hosted game in the game lobby, but when I try to join I get a "can't join at this time error". I get the same error in each direction.

I am not sure what else to do at this point. Any XBox IT guys out there? I'm thinking some sort of port forwarding may need to be done on the bridged system? There has to be something that the autodetect and ftp programs are doing that isn't handled by the xbox system link application.
CalG
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi mate, sorted mine by setting up a WDS system instead of the bridge. Now working perfectly. Also added a 3rd router to the network. Can now host and join on any of the 3 xbox's, no problems at all anymore with system link Very Happy

Found it just as easy to setup as the bridge, so far all 3 have an up time of 7 days and counting, not a single problem in that time Surprised

I set it up exactly as the Wiki states, only thing I changed is that I disabled the DHCP on everything but the main Router connected to the modem. Having more than 1 DHCP server active just causes problems and is not needed anyway seeing as the main Router has no problems handing out IP adddresses no matter were the request has came from.

After having a good read of the forums I found out that the bridge mode rewrites the connected clients MAC addresses to that of the Router, a WDS system keeps the original MAC in place. This would explain why system link won't work with the bridge configuration.

Hope this helps.

Good luck Very Happy
fritzkrieg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the help CalG, got things up and running last night.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: