NEW: Firmware Modification Kit (beta testing)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
josh22_22 wrote:
no problem with the beta testing....
AND YES THANK YOU IT WORKED!!! Very Happy Very Happy

But now i have another question.Laughing How can I make the router run CGI and .PL files. The CGI file is 244 Kb. I know the router runs .cgi files becuase ther is a file 192.168.1.1/apply.cgi I tried uploading the change firmware with the the but it won't work. Well the firmaware works but not the file. Do you know how??
Thx

I'm not sure I can be of much help here. CGI files can be of various formats, often times they are binary executables. If they are binary executables, they need to be build for the target plaform (are they?). As far as executing PL files, you need to install minIPerl (or whatever) if it's not already installed. This is about all I know about this...
Sponsor
josh22_22
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
db90h wrote:

I'm not sure I can be of much help here. CGI files can be of various formats, often times they are binary executables. If they are binary executables, they need to be build for the target plaform (are they?). As far as executing PL files, you need to install minIPerl (or whatever) if it's not already installed. This is about all I know about this...

I don't know what u mean by binary files?? Well anewyas heere are the files

Ok so here are the files.
This is the CGI FIle I want to run http://joshandeep.info/some/proxycgi
This is the ASP FIle I want to run http://joshandeep.info/some/refferasp

Help me out if u can

Last edited by josh22_22 on Wed Aug 09, 2006 22:38; edited 1 time in total
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
i'm not sure if i like this. you should know that some of my income is depending to customizing work. it might be possible that will make changing web guis more complicated in future

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
i'm not sure if i like this. you should know that some of my income is depending to customizing work. it might be possible that will make changing web guis more complicated in future

Whatever you do, don't try to protect your revenue streams by forcing users to pay for changes they can do themselves. People should still need customization work, and people might not want to go to the trouble to use this. And people should always donate. Please think about the position you are in and the mistake sveasoft has made.. free and open must remain free and open else someone is going to pop up and compete with you, which would hurt your revenues more than anything. Besides, I don't think you can handle the volume of people who need minor changes to their firmwares Wink.

Last edited by on Wed Aug 09, 2006 22:51; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
josh22_22 wrote:

I don't know what u mean by binary files?? Well anewyas heere are the files

For Linux, I mean ELF format MIPSL code. I'll take a look at the files if I get a chance. Where did you get them from?
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
db90h wrote:
BrainSlayer wrote:

Whatever you do, don't try to protect your revenue streams by forcing users to pay for changes they can do themselves. People should still need customization work, and people might not want to go to the trouble to use this. And people should always donate. Please think about the position you are in and the mistake sveasoft has made.. free and open must remain free and open else someone is going to pop up and compete with you, which would hurt your revenues more than anything. Besides, I don't think you can handle the volume of people who need minor changes to their firmwares Wink.

the people can always recompile everything. my intention is to let "knowledged" people todo what they want. but i dont want to see isp's using my firmware with own brandings. this already happend and this isp was selling this firmwares including the units for more than the doubled price. this is what i'm afraid for. every ebay children can do now a own logo and tells "wow, buy our unbeatable high power router" or something like that. i want that everyone sees that dd-wrt and nothing else

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:

the people can always recompile everything. my intention is to let "knowledged" people todo what they want. but i dont want to see isp's using my firmware with own brandings. this already happend and this isp was selling this firmwares including the units for more than the doubled price. this is what i'm afraid for. every ebay children can do now a own logo and tells "wow, buy our unbeatable high power router" or something like that. i want that everyone sees that dd-wrt and nothing else

I totally understand.. maybe a public Hall of Shame would help a bit? And now that your shop is open, perhaps you can be the primary seller of DD-WRT based units and undercut competitors? Maybe an affiliate program where people make money selling DD-WRT based units...

There will always be thieves.. I think we should attack them rather than do things that hurt everybody.

I will work with you on this if you want, but I think the technology is helpful to so many that its better to take care of the abusers rather than suppress it. Besides, the cats out of the bag now, someone else will duplicate it.

I think your idea is moving more web UI stuff to httpd or something? That would help protect it...

I don't know, I sympathize and am not trying to act against you or anything...

Last edited by on Wed Aug 09, 2006 22:56; edited 2 times in total
josh22_22
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
For Linux, I mean ELF format MIPSL code. I'll take a look at the files if I get a chance. Where did you get them from?

Gots them form http://www.jmarshall.com/tools/cgiproxy/ and one my friend made
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
db90h wrote:
BrainSlayer wrote:

I totally understand.. maybe a public Hall of Shame would help a bit? And now that your shop is open, perhaps you can be the primary seller of DD-WRT based units and undercut competitors? Maybe an affiliate program where people make money selling DD-WRT based units...

I will work with you on this if you want, but I think the technology is helpful to so many that its better to take care of the abusers rather than suppress it. Besides, the cats out of the bag now, someone else will duplicate it.

I think your idea is moving more web UI stuff to httpd or something? That would help protect it...

I don't know, I sympathize and am not trying to act against you or anything...

i fully understand your work. but a public hall of shame would not help since no ebay children cares about it and if someone dont know whats behind the router he will not visit this hall of shame. and changing something is also no license violation. i will think about a solution for fixing the logo inside the web without any way for changing it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:

i fully understand your work. but a public hall of shame would not help since no ebay children cares about it and if someone dont know whats behind the router he will not visit this hall of shame. and changing something is also no license violation. i will think about a solution for fixing the logo inside the web without any way for changing it.

Let me know if I can aid in any way, since I am somewhat responsible for necessitating this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
What about proprietary, closed-soruce dynamically linked modules? Could you make your web UI a dynamically linked object to httpd and not be required to distribute the source? Is this legal?
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
it might be legal. but i dont want this. i want a full open source project. i found another "bad" *g* way. review the next release
its nothing special or complicated but prevents changing of the web gui without recompiling. everything else like adding or removing of packets and own scripts will work without any problem if you care about it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
it might be legal. but i dont want this. i want a full open source project. i found another "bad" *g* way. review the next release
its nothing special or complicated but prevents changing of the web gui without recompiling. everything else like adding or removing of packets and own scripts will work without any problem if you care about it.

Cool, I'll go ahead and add to the docs that modification of the web UI will result in an unusable firmware.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
no it will be useable. take a look on it (when its done, i'm still working in background)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 0:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
testimage

dd-wrt.v23_generic.bin
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  dd-wrt.v23_generic.bin
 Filesize:  3.34 MB
 Downloaded:  1631 Time(s)

Navigation

Jump to: