WRT54GL - dd-wrt slower compared to original Linksys FW ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
gunnar-linksys
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:01    Post subject: WRT54GL - dd-wrt slower compared to original Linksys FW ? Reply with quote
Original showed a healthy 20 Mbit/s speed over WLAN to the laptop from the broadband connection, pretty much what a direct cable connection gives.
I then flashed the latest generic dd-wrt to replace the original on this v1.1 router. I then noticed I only got speeds up to 15 Mbit/s or so. Several trials showed this consistently. I was then able to revert back to the original Linksys fw downloaded from the linksys site.
Speeds were then back at 20 Mbit/s.
Should I have persevered and proceeded to flash something else than the generic dd-wrt ?
What causes the difference ? Is the Linksys f/w perhaps using some SpeedBooster feature missing in the generic dd-wrt ? Thanks for comments, /gunnar
Sponsor
sshanky
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I get exactly the same change when using DD-WRT. Direct connections to the cable modem get speeds around 20-22mbps; with my Tomato/Buffalo router, I get about the same; but with DD-WRT on a Linksys WRT54Gv2 and the vpn build, I get only 15 or so.
gunnar-linksys
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes for some users (such as myself) the original Linksys f/w is just perfectly ok. I don't see any reason to upgrade to something else (especially if it slows down capacity) since the original does all I need, and has done so for several months now. I hear Tomato should provide capacity, but
still; original does its thing.
sshanky
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tomato is much faster, nearly as fast as directly connecting to the cable modem. I wanted DD-WRT for the openVPN functionality, and I'll still use it at another location with a slower connection that hopefully won't be slowed down. It's disappointing -- I was so impressed with the featureset. Try Tomato, though.
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tomato is based on Linksys code which is why it has nearly same (or better?) throughput as Linksys firmware. AFAIK, DD-WRT firmware is based off of OpenWRT code.
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have latest DD-WRT v24 pre-beta2 on my WRT54GL v1.1 and the laptop and router are in different rooms, still i get 24-27Mbps.

Its all about tuning the advanced wireless settings on the router, just using basic config isnt enough
hpsenicka
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
joksi wrote:

Its all about tuning the advanced wireless settings on the router, just using basic config isnt enough

Can you please provide any recommendations or guidelines as to which setting should be tweaked?

Which settings did you find worked best in your situation?
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Untitled.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  45 KB
 Viewed:  5471 Time(s)

Untitled.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: