Brand new WRT54GL v1.1 (safe) installation procedure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
gianni253
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 13:17    Post subject: Brand new WRT54GL v1.1 (safe) installation procedure Reply with quote
I'm going to install DD-WRT v24 RC7 mini_generic on a brand new (factory sealed) WRT54GL v1.1 and I want to take all countermeasures to avoid to come up in a bricked router.

From my readings in this site I've found that the following steps should be strictly applied:

1- hard reset (30 seconds method)
2- wait 5 minutes (until the boot is complete)
3- upload firmware via web gui interface (use IE, do not use Firefox, disable firewall/antivirus etc. etc.)
4- wait for "upgrade successful"
5- wait 5 minutes
6- click on "continue"
7- hard reset
8- wait 5 minutes

Please, would someone confirm/correct these steps, so that the installation process is as safe as possible ?
Any report on this subject (first installation on a brand new WRT54GL v1.1) is also very welcome.
Thank you
Sponsor
HolyRoses
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
all the hard resets I don't think are really necessary nor the 5 minute wait times. I would just reset it back to factory defaults first, flash it, reset to factory defaults, use it. Can upgrade to std probably first instead of mini since its a v1.1 also.

-HR
Exvitermini
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
ya i got a GL v1.1 too, i flashed straight to std version of the firmware. I also used Firefox and had no issues and just flashed again few days ago to the v24 RC7 using Firefox and it worked fine (Firefox version 2.xxx not Firefox 3).
I also just reset to factory defaults before the flash, and don't do hard resets.
Since the GL is linux based, you will have no issues wit the flash.
dpp3530
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
There's an excellent guide at http://www.mandladventures.com/2007/04/12/how-to-flash-the-wrt54gl-with-dd-wrt-firmware/
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
HolyRoses wrote:
all the hard resets I don't think are really necessary nor the 5 minute wait times. I would just reset it back to factory defaults first, flash it, reset to factory defaults, use it. Can upgrade to std probably first instead of mini since its a v1.1 also.

-HR

Yes...they are necessary.

The first time clears out the nvram before loading the firmware....when the firmware loads it creates "temporary" variables during it configuration. These also need to be cleared out...this is the reason for the last hard reset.

@gianni253
Do your procedure as listed....you shouldn't have a problem.

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Soon as the unit boots it will create those nvram values regardless.

-HR
gianni253
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok guys, thanks a lot for your suggestions.

I followed my initial procedure and the upgrade was successful with no problems.

Just a few notes:
- the "5 minutes wait" can be shortened a lot. Just look at the front panel leds and when they are stabilized to their normal working status you can go on ...
- the final hard reset in point 7 was not needed and I could make my first logon straight after point 6.

Thanks to all !
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you guys do any long term reading in this forum you will find that there are MANY instances where the last hard reset has fixed a host of phantom problems.

Don't come whining here about the firmware if you start seeing strange problems. It is ALWAYS recommended that you do the hard reset AFTER the firmware load.

nuff said

redhawk

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have to agree with Redhawk. While I have done a few upgrades (v24 rc4 to rc5 for instance) without resetting before or after, you should always assume your going to need to do it and have your settings written down or screenshots. And on a fresh router that just came from the factory firmware to DD-WRT, I wouldn't even think of not doing it. Too many variables involved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: