promiscuous mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jboothby
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 18:42    Post subject: promiscuous mode Reply with quote
Hi,
I have 2 x WRT54G's.
No 1 is upstairs used as a wireless bridge for my kids PC's.
That one is a V5 and runs V23 SP1 Micro.
No 2 is downstairs and is a version 2 and runs V23 SP1 standard and plugs into my cable modem.
I would like, on occasion keep an eye on my kids as they are very young and we all know what the internet is like.
For this to work I need to enable promiscuous mode on the network ports used by my kids.
How can I enable this?

Thanks in advance,
James
Sponsor
.D0T
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm...don't ask me how but I think something like that can be done with iptable easily! I think somehow in the forum (perhaps it was in the old one if you can't find it here) there's a thread on how to configure a port on the wrt to be a mirror for all traffic flowing through the wrt! That way you would just have to put your pc connected to that port in promiscuous mode and "listen" with wireshark^^

MfG
.D0T
SpankR
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your kids should only be using the computer in a public area of your house.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
SpankR wrote:
Your kids should only be using the computer in a public area of your house.

Seriously. If your kids are "very young" why even give them access to the net period?

I don't think the router is your answer. You need to get some filter software on the computer itself and tell it to block all websites except the ones you grant access too. Like disney.com or whatever. This can be done with a proxy actually. Look into CCProxy. You can configure it to only allow access to websites that you put in a txt file. Install CCProxy on your computer and configure the browser on the kids to go thru it and you are set.
http://www.youngzsoft.net/ccproxy/
sufrano63
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Agree with two previous posters. What you are doing is snooping on your kids and not protecting them. To answer your question, I used etherreal and enable "promiscuous" mode and that would allow me to capture all packets

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Personally, I would disagree. I was raised (and being 18, it wasnt that long ago) with the idea that my parents give me trust until they have reason to revoke it. Yes, my dad ran a internet logger for several years while my brother was still fairly young, but it was never a filter - just a logger. In my opinion it is far more powerful knowing that anything you do is potentially being watched.

As for the technical aspects of your request, I am sure it is doable in the router itself, i just dont know how personally. In any event you could always get a network 'hub' (not a switch) and connect in line with the WAN connection to your router. By doing this, anything else you chose to plug into that hub (ie, your monitoring computer) is now able to see all traffic in and out of that hub, similar to the way phones work in most houses - any phone can hear all phones.

Hope that helps,
Chris
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
ifconfig eth1 promisc for example

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is an old thread, but I've run into a similar issue. Despite the wealth of advice to subscribe to netnannies, I do still find myself wanting to capture and analyze packet traffic across my network.

Regardless of the forum's opinions about where the family pc should be located, whether children should have supervised access or unfettered privacy, I still want to be able to see what any device on my wireless or wired internet is doing.

I have wireless pda's, a "family computer" in the den, an XBox360 sharing the wireless connection with the family computer, a couple 2-port ATA switches, a couple laptops that may be wireless or wired, a mac laptop that's always wireless, a windows fileserver, a linux fileserver, a workstation and, at any given time, 3-6 VMs running various services I use for POC research.

The VMWare traffic is generally very easy to capture. The wired and wireless traffic is less so.

Setting eth0, eth1, vlan0, vlan1 to promiscuous, allmulti, multicast seems to have no effect. I've been able to get by with remote packet capture, but this is a huge pain--you end up having to merge a ton of files and the rpcapd service isn't terribly stable.

Part of my problem is that wired machines are on various SoHo switches, so I'd need to replace those devices with hubs. oddly, though, nothing seems to work to capture data on the wired switch of the GS. I'd say it was a problem with the onboard NICs, but I've verified they are in promiscuous mode. I've no idea how to interpret "promiscuous mode" on the actual switch, but I'm not sure it's working properly in any event.

Anyone else made any progress with Wireshark and v24 on the wired (or wireless) side of a wrt-54GS ?

Thanks,

Micky
Ubu
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you want to monitor traffic to the Internet, you could use a proxy server. It won’t show you traffic between systems on your local network, but you can log and control all traffic to and from the internet. There are a couple of Linux based open source ones available that you might be able to modify to show local traffic as well.

Try looking at Smoothwall or IPCop.
dugr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another solution is to run Hyperwrt 2.1b1 + Thibor14 on the one of the WRT54G and sign up for Linksys parental controls through the router. You will have an access log either by a user login or set it up using mac address. It's simple, easy to use, monitor and is virtually hassle free.... though the service isn't free. You can find more information about it on the web.
bordr415
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
another alternative is to use vnc... tightvnc is awesome for that... you can have a total viewing of everything they are doing... and if you read the documentation you can disable the mouse and keyboard inputs... this way you don't accidently let them know you are watching...

If you go that route one thing you may want add to the registry (assuming your running windows) is this (it hides the icon in the system tray):
DWORD:
hklm\software\orl\winvnc3\DisableTrayIcon=0
nova9
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
If your kid is not some wiz kid, just install spyware on his machine to foward/store logs.

Tones of progs does this. This is an alternative.
cordel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
You might find this suitable:
http://www.endian.com/en/community/about/

or
http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_linux_firewall_ipcop
http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_linux_firewall_ipcop_p2
Rich_Lather
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:50    Post subject: promiscuous mode Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
ifconfig eth1 promisc for example

I tried that. It did not seem to make a difference. Is there any way to put the dd-wrt into promiscuous mode to sniff wireless packets from the wired port?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: