Airlink AR430w flashing instructions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Dox
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 19:22    Post subject: In my case... Reply with quote
palmboy5 wrote:
One suggestion if you hadn't tried already is, for the username, it must be the entire email address. Not just the username.

I mimicked the information from the PPPoE info setup screen from the ar430w. Simple screenshots generated before the upgrade attempt. Username was full email address. Granted, the ar430w setup doesn't allow you to see the PPPoE password (asterisks). That's one cool feature of the dd-wrt setup (option to show the password).

It was due to that reason that I contacted ATT to reset my password, in case I had forgotten what it was (even went so far as to get their software to check the modem/connection/etc.) I don't use my ATT address for anything other than connecting to DSL, so chances are I did forget what it was, initially. They have a "two-step" process that involves changing the email password, and the option to reset the DSL modem password, if you have a modem that is able to keep that info...native Speedstream 5100 doesn't, so that step was useless to me.

From the point where I reset the email pass, I just connected using XPs broadband connection manager (again, using username and new password). This was with the ar430w out of the loop, just to make sure DSL modem was still working. DSL modem was still working.

Connected the modem to the WAN port of the ar430w, set WAN to PPPoE, used full email address as username and new pass...same result as before. The only thing I didn't try was using the username only (not the full email address). I left it in this state overnight, hoping that it was a time-thing. 8 or so hours later...nothing.

Even tried to connect modem to the other ports afterwards, for good measure. The only thing I found was that the "activity" light on the modem never flashed (the other 3 were solid green the whole time). From what I remember, it did do a small amount of flashing when the modem was connected to ports other than the WAN-designated one, but that was about it. I didn't do the "soak" test with the modem in the non-WAN ports, however.

Also did a few things involving attempting to clone the mac address of the modem...no dice. Ultimately my patience was tested (and that's tough to do, for the most part).

So, maybe the answer does lie in there someplace, and hopefully we'll have some news from King_of_the_huns later on.

I think I got better performance out of my modem and original ar430w over DSL simply because I didn't do any other major downloading. I stream music 24/7 at home on both networks, and that's my "poor man's gauge" to determine if my connections are up when I'm not actively using the machines. I hardly had any issues with the DSL in comparison to the cable using native ar430w's.
Sponsor
daviddyer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, Dox, I'm also using ATT/SBC dsl and AR430W with DD-wrt V24. here are a few tips.

1 Your DSL modem should be able to dial up without the help of computer/router. You can configure it at some address like 192.168.0.1 (This is the address For my Siemens Speedstream 4100 DSL modem).

2 The "User ID" for ATT/SBC DSL is the whole email address. Mine is something like david_dyer@sbcglobal.net (not my true user id of course).

3 If you let the modem dial-up itself, set your router's Connection Type to "Automatic configuration - DHCP", the default is "disabled". This will cause problem for sure. :-)

4 My phone adaptors (PAp2 with sipura 1001 firmware and unlocked VTA-VR) work well with my dsl-router-switch connections.

5 Here are a few links. You can find some info about your modem. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,11628153

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/sbc/3.1_Speedstream_5100

Hope this helps.
Dox
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
daviddyer wrote:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/sbc/3.1_Speedstream_5100

Hope this helps.

Hi Daviddyer,

Yeah, the title starts out Speedstream 5100, but it is actually all about the 5100B. The 5100 (no B) has to have the computer or router, as there is no way to access it by IP (well, no documented way that I have found to this point). The 5100B also has 5 leds, where the 5100 only has 4 total.

If I had anything other than the 5100 (no B), I think I'd be better off, haha!

I will try to find the links for the 5100 only, as they spell it out.

Here's a link (not official, but it's dead-on...)

http://burrowowl.net/wordpress/200509/pppoe-on-speedstreams/

Thanks, though!

Last edited by Dox on Thu May 29, 2008 7:11; edited 1 time in total
palmboy5
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm using a 4+ year old SpeedStream 5360 and it requires the computer/router to do the PPPoE login stuff. I could set it up fine in both my AR430W's original firmware and in DD-WRT. This is with AT&T.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:19    Post subject: Yeah, I need me one of those... Reply with quote
palmboy5 wrote:
I'm using a 4+ year old SpeedStream 5360 and it requires the computer/router to do the PPPoE login stuff. I could set it up fine in both my AR430W's original firmware and in DD-WRT. This is with AT&T.

Haha, I wish I had one of those...or a 5100B. And not to totally discount what Daviddyer so graciously took the time to post in an effort to help me and King_of_the_huns...there was a bit of info at the end of the first link he included that caught my attention...

"Real 5100s use 192.168.254.254 and early (no longer available) 5100a that SBC first used have an IP of 10.0.0.1 and NONE of those have the IP address printed on the bottom. Then there is a odd 5100 that uses 192.168.1.1 so you have no way of telling what the IP is if you do not have a 5100b from SBC."

That warrants a bit more investigation (as I only noticed the 2nd link when I first read his post, and totally skipped the 1st--sorry about that). Some of the screenshots were pretty informative, too. I just don't run the Efficient Networks software that the other users had.

King_of_the_huns will probably be able to give us all the lowdown soon.

Cool
king_of_the_huns
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 0:59    Post subject: Re: Yeah, I need me one of those... Reply with quote
Dox wrote:

King_of_the_huns will probably be able to give us all the lowdown soon.

Sorry, after closer inspection, I also have the new DSL modem... It's a SpeedStream 5100 with first use date of Apr/2004. It stores username/password on the modem, so I didn't have to do anything on my router, it works as is. Even dyndns works great too...

Cheers,
Attila

PS: I has some major problems if I tried using WEP. If I use WAP, no problem... I guess it "forces" me to use better security... ;-)
Dox
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cool, glad you were able to get it to work A-OK with your DSL modem. Yeah, "forced" WPA over WEP isn't too bad of a trade-off, heh heh.

I'm still using my AR430W as a repeater, so everyone wins!

Thanks for the info!

Smile
king_of_the_huns
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dox wrote:
Cool, glad you were able to get it to work A-OK with your DSL modem. Yeah, "forced" WPA over WEP isn't too bad of a trade-off, heh heh.

:)

I might just have to do that as well... After a day or so, I can't connect reliably to the router, it drops connections at every x seconds... When I manually restart it, it's OK again for a while... *sigh*

Did any of you had the same problems?

Also, I measured signal strength with the original FW and with DD-WRT and the difference is quite big. I got 20~30% signal where I originally got 60~70%... I checked from telnet, that I got the max (17dB) setting, but this is just dubious...

I am trying to revert back to the original 430W firmware, I downloaded the latest wrgg23_airlink_ar430w_v1.01_77ak.bin, but have no idea how to restore it, is it just through the web interface or do I need to restore RedBoot as well?
daviddyer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
king_of_the_huns wrote:
Dox wrote:

Smile

I might just have to do that as well... After a day or so, I can't connect reliably to the router, it drops connections at every x seconds... When I manually restart it, it's OK again for a while... *sigh*

Also, I measured signal strength with the original FW and with DD-WRT and the difference is quite big. I got 20~30% signal where I originally got 60~70%... I checked from telnet, that I got the max (17dB) setting, but this is just dubious...

I am trying to revert back to the original 430W firmware, I downloaded the latest wrgg23_airlink_ar430w_v1.01_77ak.bin, but have no idea how to restore it, is it just through the web interface or do I need to restore RedBoot as well?

disable "WAN Traffic Counter" under services-services tab. I mentioned this in my previous posts in this thread.
king_of_the_huns
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
daviddyer wrote:
king_of_the_huns wrote:
Dox wrote:

:)

disable "WAN Traffic Counter" under services-services tab. I mentioned this in my previous posts in this thread.

It IS disabled! Yet I still experience this problem.
daviddyer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I don't know why. Mine has been stable ever since I disabled that.
wopo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been trying to get back into Redboot, however, I could not get a ping back from 192.168.20.81. The ping command gave me a response of Request timed out. This was after I webupdated to v24 final from rc6. Anyone know what the problem might be?
palmboy5
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ping it at 192.168.1.1.

192.168.20.81 was ONLY with the original redboot which you replaced long time ago.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I set my PC ip as 192.168.1.23 while I ping 192.68.1.1 in order to reach the Redboot? Even using this setup, I still cannot reach Redboot. I get the same message as before.
palmboy5
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Technically, I've gotten into Redboot without it ever showing a ping response. For this reason, I take the pinging thing with a grain of salt.

Navigation

Jump to: