Repeater Bridge mode - DHCP not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
traalfaz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 17:55    Post subject: Repeater Bridge mode - DHCP not working Reply with quote
I have set up a box in repeater bridge mode, and it works OK, EXCEPT I can not get DHCP to work. wired and wireless clients all work if assigned static IPs.

I've searched and read several threads and nothing I've tried from there works.

I've flashed up to v24 final downloaded today, reset factory defaults and followed the instructions carefully (twice), and tried several options, such as the same and different SSIDs on the virtual interface.

The configuration:
Cable modem -> Netgear 614 router in basically factory mode, in one building.
-> Wired connection to a Linksys WAP11 access point on the outside of that building with a directional antenna - running factory firmware, in AP mode, WEP enabled (we're not super concerned about security here).
-> On 2nd building, a WAP54G running dd-wrt v24 final, configured per Repeater Bridge instructions in the WIKI
- Primary and virtual interfaces both have the same SSID (I've tried it both ways), and the same security setup (I've also tried with no security on the virtual interface). Primary interface is set to same channel, B only (matches the AP).

Again, everything works except DHCP. If I set the dd-wrt unit as a client, everything including DHCP works for wired clients, but we want to have wireless clients in that building as well.

I asked about this several months ago but at the time I don't think this kind of a setup was possible, I was told so, but now with this newer release, the Repeater Bridge instructions pretty clearly say that this should work.
Sponsor
traalfaz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anyone have any suggestions?
sunnybor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think when you select the repeater Bridge, the DHCP is automatically disable. All of IPs will be assigned by the primary router.
traalfaz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
sunnybor wrote:
I think when you select the repeater Bridge, the DHCP is automatically disable. All of IPs will be assigned by the primary router.

Right, but DHCP requests are not getting through to the primary router. If I put the box in client mode, DHCP requests DO go to the primary router, but then it's not repeating and we get no wireless in the building. The Wiki pretty clearly states that in Repeater Bridge, the two segments are seamlessly bridged and DHCP requests should make it to the primary router, but this is not happening.
errold32
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:49    Post subject: bump (having the same problem) Reply with quote
dd-wrt version 24 rc6
traalfaz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:09    Post subject: Re: bump (having the same problem) Reply with quote
errold32 wrote:
dd-wrt version 24 rc6

I'm running v24 final now. The wiki says it should work. Are you saying I need to downgrade to rc6 to get this to work? Why does the wiki indicate v24 final should work?
bkmo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:38    Post subject: Re: bump (having the same problem) Reply with quote
traalfaz wrote:
errold32 wrote:
dd-wrt version 24 rc6

I'm running v24 final now. The wiki says it should work. Are you saying I need to downgrade to rc6 to get this to work? Why does the wiki indicate v24 final should work?

RC6 was the worst version for repeater modes. I am running on a micro router now with an Autoap RC1 build on it and my DHCP works. I had repeater running on V24 final but never bridged it.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Right...RC6 was absolutely horrible....V24-Final is working...I have 6 RB units setup currently and all working properly.

Do I understand this correcly that you have a WAP11 serving the RB. If the WAP11 is not a DHCP server itself...then this won't work. You must connect a RB unit to a DHCP serving unit. Pass-through DHCP will not work for RB mode.

[EDIT] - However, You might try WLAN Repeater mode....it is it's own DHCP server but it will be on a different subnet...no bridge!

redhawk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Never got response to this:
http://dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/bugtracker/view.php?id=3062
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
alain wrote:
Never got response to this:

I actually chatted with BrainSlayer about this one...With the new drivers it isn't possible to get Pass-through DHCP.

You must connect a Repeater Bridge to a DHCP serving unit...or use WLAN Repeater (Repeater Unbridged) mode

redhawk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
its true that Pass-through DHCP does not work.
Thats why dd-wrt uses a dhcp forwarder (dhcrelay) to forward all dhcp requests.
Unfortunately dhcrelay must be given the ip of dhcp server it forwards the requests to.
DD-WRT simply gives the ip of the ap it is connected (in repeater bridge), to dhcrelay.
Now if the (other) AP is not the DHCP server, this is bad.
Thats why i proposed to first send a dhcpinform to get the ip of the DHCP server, and then start dhcrelay. (forwarding to the correct dhcp server)

traalfaz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
Do I understand this correcly that you have a WAP11 serving the RB. If the WAP11 is not a DHCP server itself...then this won't work. You must connect a RB unit to a DHCP serving unit. Pass-through DHCP will not work for RB mode.

Yes, that's what I'm doing. The WAP11 on the outside of the building is in AP mode, and I can connect to that and get DHCP, either with a laptop directly or with the WAP54G in client mode, and wired boxes connected to it. Also I used to have two WAP54Gs with factory firmwares in bridge mode, and those worked OK, but in that mode they formed an entirely transparent bridge, so it's probably a different thing.

I have two options; I will try your WLAN Repeater suggestion, I don't mind having a separate IP range for the other building. The other option would be to see if I could move the primary router to the outside of the building and see if it provides adequate coverage within the building and also would reach to the WAP54G on the second building, I assume that would work.
errold32
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 23:47    Post subject: Repeter brige not working Reply with quote
Sorry, I am running v24 RC-5 micro not RC-6 as previously stated. Does repeater-bridge mode work with this edition?
It seems to break the internet and dhcp the moment i switch from client-bridge to repeater-bridge.

Also, could the flashing instructions for the wrt54g v8 be updated for the latest build of dd-wrt v24? I am unclear about which file to use when upgrading.

Thanks
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 0:37    Post subject: Re: Repeter brige not working Reply with quote
errold32 wrote:
Sorry, I am running v24 RC-5 micro not RC-6 as previously stated. Does repeater-bridge mode work with this edition?
It seems to break the internet and dhcp the moment i switch from client-bridge to repeater-bridge.

Also, could the flashing instructions for the wrt54g v8 be updated for the latest build of dd-wrt v24? I am unclear about which file to use when upgrading.

Thanks

I remember RC5 worked just fine with RB mode. It was basically the VINT builds (the NEWD=new driver...came about in RC6.X...that is when we started with the dual builds.)

Just use the V24_micro_generic.bin for your V8 unit.

redhawk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's not working in final version:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=33102

Same problem here. Please fix DHCP, it's is such a big bug...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: