Source distribution and GPL

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
lutorm
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 20:26    Post subject: Source distribution and GPL Reply with quote
Hi,

I'm using dd-wrt on my Linksys router and it's pretty great, nice work!

However, I'm less happy with the fact that the distribution appears to not comply with the GPL. The GPL demands that when you download the object code, you either be provided with the source or with an offer to get the source. When you download the dd-wrt firmware, you get neither. When you access the web interface, you are not informed that you are using GPL software, and when you log in with ssh it just states Copyright 2008 NewMedia-NET GmbH. (This seems dishonest, since clearly the dd-wrt firmware consists of a bunch of packages that all have their individual copyrights. Compiling them into a firmware does not give you copyright on them.)

I think it would be more in the spirit (and maybe even the letter) of the GPL to include the GPL notice and a link to the source code with every downloaded firmware (especially since you can't get it through the Downloads section, at least not obviously) and if there were GPL notices on the sysinfo web page and the ssh login banner.

Given the awesome things that are done with the whole GNU/Linux system, it doesn't seem more than fair that it's appropriately advertised as such.
Sponsor
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Last I checked you can get the source code through subversion. Although it's pretty difficult to compile.
mikeshoup
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I see what lutorm is getting at, and I agree.

A little bit more advertising that components of dd-wrt are indeed GPL would be nice, and even possibly advantageous.
Fajo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Been gone for a wile and I come back to well /sigh here we go again

/sigh. learn to use the download links the source is around 12 gigs (FOR ALL OBJECTS). all else fails use the search option this is not a fisher price toy.. we dont have giant letters flashing GPL GPL GPL.. go cry on someone else's forums or at least for the love of god do some freakin research before you post and make your self look like a idiot
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: