Linksys WRT54 Gv8/GSv7 flashing instructions

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79  Next
nacho
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I clear my browser cache and cookies all the time, before doing any changes, so i guess thats not the problem.

Anyway, i'll try doing what WarpSpeed says and tftp the micro_generic.bin file, though i don't really know when i should do it. i'll just wait for a couple of minutes after loading the vxworkskillerGv8-v3.bin.
Sponsor
Tornado
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, so you have a brand new Gv8, and you have set it to defaults, and rebooted. after that you go to the linksys firmware upgrade page, in the firmware upgrade page, you browse to killerv3 for the Gv8 and hit submit it, it loads pretty fast and then starts to reboot, when it does, wait at least two mins, before you do anything, after that it should be safe to reboot, and then tftp the DD-WRT firmware

Let me know what happens

My preferred parallel jtag adapter:
TIAO Parallel adapter

Tjtag website - http://tjtag.com

Compiling DD-WRT on:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3926.667 Mhz

Aptosid X64 - Debian SID X64
Ubuntu 10.10 X64 - Arch X64
WarpSpeed
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Tornado

I thought the power light should be off after vxworkskiller also.

However, I just upgraded a WRT54Gv8 an hour or 2 ago and after vxworkskiller the power LED was still on.

I followed the instructions here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/How_To_Flash_the_WRT54Gv8 which start the upgrade thru the "Management Mode" screen.

I wonder if the power LED behaves differently if killer is loaded from within the Linksys Firmware Upgrade page. Apparently it must. I'll try with the next one I get.
nacho
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, finally i have dd-wrt running on my v8 Very Happy
I didn't plugged it and pressed the reset button for 30 seconds (as i had done before). this time i just upgraded the vxworkskiller from the Linksys Firmware Upgrade page, then waited a couple of minutes and tftp the DD-WRT firmware.

Everything seems to be working now.
Thank you all
WarpSpeed
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm glad you had success!

Now I see where some confusion comes in. There appears to be two slightly different procedures for flashing the v8.
Armegeden
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 22:28    Post subject: Grrr, silly TFTP question Reply with quote
Ok. Frustrated.
I must be blind because I don't see a way to search a specific post (this one) because I'm sure every question I have in answered in one of the 75 pages. Gah.

WRT54G v8

Followed instructions according to the "hold reset while powering" method.
Get to the Firmware loader page.
Chose "vxworkskillerGv8-v3.bin" and hit Apply.
Within a couple seconds returned a "Could not load page error" but could still ping.
Waited about 10 minutes, nothing.

I'm trying to do the TFTP command, I have both a Vista machine and an OSX machine.

"tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin"
The command "TFTP" is unrecognized in my "cmd" window. Vista Ultimate.

In Terminal on OSX, I hit "tftp -e 192.168.1.1"
Then "put dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin" at the "tftp>" prompt and get a "file not found" error.

I guess my first problem is getting around the TFTP problem. Where is the root folder that TFTP looks in OSX? OR, how do I TFTP in Vista?
Armegeden
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, Found where to install TFTP client in the Programs and Features portion of Vista.

C:\TFTP-Root>tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin
Timeout occurred

C:\TFTP-Root>

The timeout happened about 30 seconds after starting. I also got a "TFTP is not responding, close now" box in Vista.

This whole time I kept a "ping 192.168.1.1 -t" and didn't lose a packet.

I miss something?
WarpSpeed
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have never used Vista, so I don't know if this will work or not. May be worth a try.

A tftp utility that does work in XP: http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/tornado/Windows-TFTP/tftp2.exe

Leave password blank.
Armegeden
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Strange stuff.

So I haven't rebooted or touched it since I posted.

Decided to try out http://192.168.1.1 and got the "Management mode firmware" thing. I selected the killer.bin, but got a username/password prompt?!

Typed in "admin/root" and it put me at a default LinkSys firmware Status page, just like I opened it out of the box.

Went over to Admin/Firmware/ and selected the killer.bin this way.

Hit "Apply" and instantly got a page saying "Upgrade are Failed!" (yes, poor grammar and everything). I hit "Continue" and it throws me back to the "Upgrade Firmware" page with "Upgrade must NOT be interrupted!" and the meter keeps going and going. The meter will fill, then start over. Like an infinite loop.

Bah, whatdayado?
Armegeden
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok. I'm not even going to pretend I know what happened.

Since my last post, I went ahead and rebooted the router and let it get into the default LinkSys firmware.

Again, went to Admin/Firmware and chose the killer.bin, and this time "Success, rebooting".

Waited about 5min. Used the TFTP client in Vista and when I hit enter to upload the file, about 2 seconds later I got a "program error, close tftp client" and lost ping replies. Thought I was screwed.

Give it 5 minutes, started getting ping replies, went to http://192.168.1.1 and BOOM, DD-WRT page. I've never seen it before, but it says "Firmware: DD-WRT v24 (05/24/0Cool micro" so I assume it worked.

Woohoo! No idea what went wrong/right, but it finally worked.

Moral of story: Even if Vista's built in TFTP client closes out, it may have still got the file uploaded.
virus.b
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:10    Post subject: Re: dd-wrt.v24_micro_wrt54gv8.bin Reply with quote
So basically, after I flash my router with this BIN, I can use up to 3 or 4 ports as my "WAN" ?? If not, what is the maximum number of "WAN" ports I will have?

I also notice the other bins "vxworkskiller". What is this bin for?

Also, after I flash my router with these modded bins, do I still get a GUI web interface login to change/edit settings as before?
Tornado

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
DO not use anything but KILLER V3 for your box.

My preferred parallel jtag adapter:
TIAO Parallel adapter

Tjtag website - http://tjtag.com

Compiling DD-WRT on:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3926.667 Mhz

Aptosid X64 - Debian SID X64
Ubuntu 10.10 X64 - Arch X64
ghoul
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 15:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok upgraded and worked fine.
however i have a slightly different prob my isp requires a specific mac address.. i know there was a way to generate a bin on the version 5 and 6 wrt router that would allow somebody to embed a specific mac address is there a way for me to do it with this version.. i reverted back to original linksys firmware because it at least had the clone mac address feature

any help appreciated
thnx guys
Eko

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
ghoul wrote:
i reverted back to original linksys firmware because it at least had the clone mac address feature

any help appreciated
thnx guys

Damn, I always thought we have mac address clone too in dd-wrt... Smile
(Setup -> MAC address clone)
ghoul
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
i am in deed a putz. Embarassed
what i should have asked is there a way to make the mac address permanent.. doing this for not so savvy friend and don't want if for some reason he has to reset i have to keep telling him how to clone mac..
even though i could just print some instructions i guess
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 75 of 79
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: