Linksys WRT54 Gv8/GSv7 flashing instructions

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79  Next
Doh004
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry for the shameless bump, but could anyone help me out in my thread I made at: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=186697#186697 ? I Have this particular Linksys router and am having huge connection issues with my wireless Xbox 360. Thanks.
Sponsor
jwixted
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 23:01    Post subject: Bricked my WRT54Gv8 Reply with quote
Well, I bricked my router. When I power it up, I get 4 ethernet and Internet lights on solid, no power, no wireless. Can't ping the router. I have a JTAG cable, and I can issue commands to it via the tjtag utility. I seem to be able to -erase anything, but I can't seem to -flash anything. Flashing starts, but takes LOTS of time to even get thru the 0% marks in the updates.

I assume that, since I can get to it via the tjtag tool, I've at least got a chance at de-bricking it?

I do have the 2 samsung chip version, not the EON version.

Any suggestions would be most welcome!

-Joe
Tornado
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
What version router, and what are you trying to flash ?

If it is a CFE or BSP, try using the switch

tjtag -flash:cfe /noreset

This command needs to be issued right after turning on the router, it may take a few tries to get it right.

My preferred parallel jtag adapter:
TIAO Parallel adapter

Tjtag website - http://tjtag.com

Compiling DD-WRT on:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3926.667 Mhz

Aptosid X64 - Debian SID X64
Ubuntu 10.10 X64 - Arch X64
jwixted
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's a WRT54G V8. I've tried to flash ANYTHING to it. I've tried letting CFE run overnight, It seems to get to about 4% and hangs. I've had similar results with KERNEL, CODE and WHOLEFLASH, all created using the backup tool (from after the router was a brick, unfortunately). Should these backups be good to use? Or should I try to find known good ones elsewhere?

I don't think I tried issuing the -flash immediately at startup, I think I've always had the thin powered on for a bit first. I'll give that a try, thanks!

-Joe

EDIT: Well jtag -flash:nvram /noreset has been running for about 3 hours, and only to 6%; seems REALLY slow, is this normal?

EDIT: Well, it's been over 12 hours, 22%, this can't be normal...
VirusJC12
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok I have linksys wrt54g I was using RC-6 it worked just fine and now I have update to this version dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic DD-WRT v24 (05/24/0Cool micro
(SVN revision 9526)

This this version work ok... What should I do???? any thoughts
galixy5
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 19:48    Post subject: WRT54GS V7 Reply with quote
I think i have trashed my router....i downloaded vxworkskillerGSv7-v3 and went to upgrade the firmware in the router..i followed the instructions and now nothing works....the only light i have on the router is the port number i'm plugged into...someone please help......
Tornado
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can you ping it ?

My preferred parallel jtag adapter:
TIAO Parallel adapter

Tjtag website - http://tjtag.com

Compiling DD-WRT on:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3926.667 Mhz

Aptosid X64 - Debian SID X64
Ubuntu 10.10 X64 - Arch X64
galixy5
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Tornado

Not able to ping it...
galixy5
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tornado wrote:
Can you ping it ?

any thoughts?
vlad36
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:21    Post subject: Re: WRT54GSv7 also Works!! Reply with quote
sigmaxix wrote:
This process ALSO works with the WRT54GSv7 with only a little HEX modification to the vxworkskillerv8!

*Of course, you'll have to reset the router to factory defaults before flashing*

Here's what I did:

1) Log into the WRT54GSv7.
2) Under the Administration tab, RESET TO FACTORY DEFAULTS.
3) Go back to the Administration tab [192.168.1.1].
4) Firmware Upgrade via the Linksys GUI vxworkskillerGSv7-v3.bin
5) Update will be successful.
6) Manually configure your Network Card to a manual IP something like 192.168.1.77, then Manually configure Gateway to 192.168.1.1, DNS to 192.168.1.1
7) Hold down the RESET button on router for 30 seconds.
8 ) Wait about 30 more seconds, then unplug router.

9) HOLD DOWN reset button, then plug-in router. Then release reset button after 5 seconds.
10) QUICKLY Open command prompt, and use TFTP command:
tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put dd-wrt.v24_micro_wrt54gv8.bin
11) You will see the activity light on your network indicator "go crazy".
[[If #11 doesn't happen AND you get TFTP TIMED OUT, I had to repeat step 9 then 10 to be quicker]]

12) Wait about 10 minutes, and the TFTP should acknowledge success.
13) Log into DD-WRT Router!!!!

Thank you BrainSlayer + Tornado!!! I just slightly modified your VXWORKS .bin to work this way, too!

GRRRREAT!

Thank you very much.

Just what the doctor ordered.

Work perfect.
sshanky
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 0:23    Post subject: Success with WRT54GSv7! Reply with quote
In case this helps anyone, I followed the instructions here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/How_To_Flash_the_WRT54GS_v7

I followed the instructions in the section entitled "ALTERNATE METHOD TO FLASH DD-WRT ON A WRT54GS v7 WITH AN INTEL FLASH CHIP". I'm still not sure if I have an Intel version or not, but it worked perfectly on the first try. My serial no. starts with CGNC1 and the date on the other sticker says "07/2007".

Good luck!
VirusJC12
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Iam using DD-WRT v24-sp1 (07/27/0Cool micro
on a wrt54g v8. I used to use to have and older version and every thing was fine..

My problem is that my p2p is basicaly downloading at 60k when it should be going at about 300k.. can some one give me some advice on what to do. Cause this problem started when I updated the firmware... HELP PLZ!!!
dwpjr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 0:26    Post subject: bricked wrt54g v8.00.2 Reply with quote
I have very little knowledge of computers, but after reading this forum I thought I would give dd-wrt a try on my wrt54g v8.00.2. I am using vista home premium if it matters? First I went into explorer and cleared all cookies etc. Then I went to 192.168.1.1 I flashed vxworkskillerGv8-v3.bin I got a message saying to reboot. I unplugged to power cord, plugged it back in and waited about 5 minutes. Next I tried to flash the dd-wrt version dd-wrt.v24.micro.generic.bin.
I was asked for servor, password, and file. I was not exactly sure what to enter for server, but I entered 192.168.1.1, I left the password blank and browsed to the ddwrt file. All I get is the error message "erasing flash this may take several minutes". "Unable to resolve host address." I am not sure if I set my lan ethernet address right. Could this be the problem? How do I set this?
polish
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:10    Post subject: Thanks for brilliant description Reply with quote
Hi,
Just wanted to say THANKS to BrainSlayer and all guyz who contribute to this website. Smile
Currently I am doing some project / coursework for my BSc course and part of it is concentrated around wireless router hardware.
Great work !!!
Maybe someone will find it useful...
I had some problems with
"tftp -i 192.168.1.1 put dd-wrt.v24_micro_wrt54gv8.bin
tftp: can't read from local file 'dd-wrt.v24-micro_generic.bin'"

and had to remove first "." and change the filename to file.bin without any extra dots and then it worked !

Take care guys
Konrad
mkstretch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a WRT54GS V7, now how do I tell what chip I have or does it matter. DO I just flash with instructions above. If not could someone show me the exact instructions to use. Thanks much
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 76 of 79
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: