WRT300N v1.1 - DD-WRT Doesn't Support 40mhz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
fastest963
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:34    Post subject: WRT300N v1.1 - DD-WRT Doesn't Support 40mhz Reply with quote
Hello,
I'm not at home now, so I don't have many specifics about my current configuration, however it is almost all defaults except I have afterburner on auto and the TX Power is set to 82mw.

Before I installed the working version from the "Now Supported" topic, I had the newest Linksys Firmware and from my living room to my basement I had a throughput of 162mbps and a signal strength of 56% on average. I cannot move the router so that is out of the question. Then after installing DD-WRT and increasing the TX Power to 82mw, I have throughput of 78mbps and signal strength of 29%.

Steps I Followed to Install
1) Restore Defaults
2) Install via IE from web admin
3) Restore Defaults on DD-WRT
4) Configure
(note: no hard reset?)

Is there something I missed or any enhancements/tips someone can share? Like changing ACK Timings to 0 or changing Maximum Ports to 4096? Can I increase my TX Power any higher and have it actually make a difference? I made sure that the channel I'm on is not being used by a neighbor and as I said, most of the settings are defaults.

The wireless adapter I'm using is a WMP300N.

Thanks,
James

Last edited by fastest963 on Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:17; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Knasher
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately this is right in line with what I would have expected. 802.11N has a maximum throughput of 300Mbps, which is achieved using 40Mhz bands. However due to the fact that companies don't release the source for their drivers, forcing people to reverse engineer them, ddwrt currently only supports narrow band (20Mhz) wireless which has a maximum throughput of 130Mbps.

Hopefully eventually the 40Mhz bands will be supported, but for now, if you need them you are forced to use the priority firmware.
fastest963
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Question About WMP300N then,

when I go into the properties and go down to IBSS Channel Number, I have a choice between something like 6(20mhz) or 6(40mhz). I should choose the 40mhz when i go back to linksys firmware, right? Also, should that channel number have any relation to the channel that the router is broadcasting at?

Also, do you have any tips for the Linksys firmware or just anything in general?
Knasher
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes you need to select 40Mhz if you want 300Mbps speed. Obviously if you do you are using 40Mhz channels you don't even get the 3 non overlapping channels that 20Mhz provides, so if there are other networks in your area, be careful about choosing 6.

I'm not sure what you were asking for with the last part, but this might answer your question http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels
fastest963
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
should the channel on the receiver match the one thats being transmitted by the router or does it matter?
peskypescado
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Knasher wrote:
Yes you need to select 40Mhz if you want 300Mbps speed. Obviously if you do you are using 40Mhz channels you don't even get the 3 non overlapping channels that 20Mhz provides, so if there are other networks in your area, be careful about choosing 6.

I'm not sure what you were asking for with the last part, but this might answer your question http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

So when DD-WRT shows it is connecting at a speed higher than >130mbps it is reporting it incorrectly? I have a wireless bridge setup between a WRT310N (AP) and a WRT160N (Bridge) where the AP shows 270mbps, but the bridge usually shows <130mbps. Both are running v24 final. In the settings for the AP I can even set it to 40mhz wide channel, but the reported speed is highest on auto.
fastest963
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
how do you set it to 40mhz?
peskypescado
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Go to http://192.168.1.1/Wireless_Basic.asp
Set the network mode to "N-Only"
Click Save
Then set Channel Width to "40 Mhz"
Knasher
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Perhaps its a hardware thing then. My understanding is that it hadn't been implemented yet, but if its working for you then awesome. Its definetly not on my hardware yet, but hopefully not too far behind.
fastest963
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
will it work in mixed mode? because I have a PS3 and a wireless printer and both are G

if it won't, is there anything else I can do? I already have the power at 82, do you think its safe to go any higher? What about ACK timings or Maximum Ports?
peskypescado
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can set it to 40mbps, but the performance isn't good. I get maybe 10% higher speeds than I used to get between the WRT54Gs I used before these units. Disappointing to say the least. What hardware do you have Knasher?

I'm think of returning the 160N and buying a WGA600N bridge and running stock Linksys firmware (ugh) on my 310N just so I can get the N-speeds. I really need it for streaming HD to Media Center on my 360.

As for a mixed network, I don't think you can do wide channels if you still have G clients connecting. In fact on my network I have a WRT54GL handling my regular G traffic and routing. the 310N and 160N are only for my N bridge.

I'm not positive that there isn't a problem with the 160N and DD-WRT though, because if I connect to my GL router the speeds are really low (<30mbps connection).
woof07
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know what kind of distance you have between your AP and your clients, but you might want to try lowering the Tx power on that thing. If you have it too high, you cause more interference problems than you fix. I would start in the 35 range and go up from there.
peskypescado
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good suggestion but I already tried it. I tried 20, 35, 40, 45, 60, and 80. Some were better than others, but none of the settings were faster than my WRT54GL.
woof07
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
peskypescado wrote:
Good suggestion but I already tried it. I tried 20, 35, 40, 45, 60, and 80. Some were better than others, but none of the settings were faster than my WRT54GL.

I've noticed that as well. My GL with v23 (I think) on it absolutely smoked both of my 150N APs in regards to signal strength and consistency. I never had to reboot that thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: