WRT54G v2.0 "Upgrade are failed"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
lavitaestetica
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 18:09    Post subject: WRT54G v2.0 "Upgrade are failed" Reply with quote
Router: Linksys WRT54G version 2.0
Firmware Version: 2.02.7

I've been trying for hours to install the DD-WRT firmware to my router, but with no success. I keep getting the "Upgrade are failed" error (yay Engrish, very professional of Linksys). I tried loading the dd-wrt.v24_std_generic, and got the error. I did a little searching and saw that some people reported having to load the mini first when coming from a Linksys firmware, so I tried that and received the same error. I even tried loading the firmware using the tftp2 application, but it never gets past "erasing flash".

Dunno if this is relevant or not, but before finding out about DD-WRT, I was trying to upgrade to the latest Linksys firmware for my router, and it did the same thing, so this isn't a problem localized to the DD firmware.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsor
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I sent you a Private Message with some info and the latest Linksys firmware.

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:17    Post subject: WRT54G v2.0 "Upgrade are failed" Reply with quote
I have the exact same problem with trying to upgrade my WRT54Gv2.

I've tried to load dd-wrt.v24-9517_VINT_std using web gui (via linksys v4.21.1) but get "upgrade are failed".

I've also tried the posted tftp2.exe procedure (including all the hard resets, replug in, etc.) but it fails to work too (again also failing to get past "erasing flash".

Can you share the special info and linksys firmware version that you used to get this to work?

thanks
r00tb33r
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a v2 and I have gotten that message at first.
Make sure you are flashing micro and not mini, your Linksys firmware is latest and you are flashing from IE.
Do the above and you will have a successful flash.
jmh9072
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
r00tb33r wrote:
I have a v2 and I have gotten that message at first.
Make sure you are flashing micro and not mini, your Linksys firmware is latest and you are flashing from IE.
Do the above and you will have a successful flash.

No, you need to flash a mini_wrt54g.bin image first. The W54G header is required on the first flash for these units.

Se7en is Darker...
nattivillin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had the same problem until i flashed with the mini version first.

The upgrade still failed with the mini so
I ended up using the tftp.exe and it worked after that.
TxDot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a WRT54GS V2 and am having the same issue. The first time I used the tftp method it worked but subsequent attempts have all resulted in the Erasing flash... message. I suspect I'm somewhere between firmwares since a ping reports that the TTL is 64 but the web page is from Linksys (v4.71.4). Part of my problem is that the webpage will not render correctly so none of the buttons appear. Any ideas on how to proceed from here?
soulstace
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
TxDot wrote:
I have a WRT54GS V2 and am having the same issue. The first time I used the tftp method it worked but subsequent attempts have all resulted in the Erasing flash... message. I suspect I'm somewhere between firmwares since a ping reports that the TTL is 64 but the web page is from Linksys (v4.71.4). Part of my problem is that the webpage will not render correctly so none of the buttons appear. Any ideas on how to proceed from here?

Tried a different web browser?

Go back to Linksys firmware and start over.
TxDot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
soulstace wrote:
Tried a different web browser?

Go back to Linksys firmware and start over.
I've tried both IE and Firefox. I believe I am using Linksys firmware. How can I verify what I have installed? At any rate my problem is I can't seem to get any different firmware installed. I've tried going back to Linksys as you suggest but no joy...
TxDot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also, what exactly does Erasing flash... mean (besides the obvious)? Why does the flash need to be erased? Isn't the process we're trying to do going to replace what is being erased?
gene
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
if my memory serves me correctly, I had to short pins 15 and 16 when I got that error. I have the same exact router, and while I did start with the mini firmware per instructions a couple years ago then on to standars then back to mini, I ran into my error message when working with ver24 RC6. I started getting all the same error messages posted here so I finally did the pin 15/16 short thing and finally got back in.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
@gene...thats a great way to destroy a router. You are one of the lucky ones...only about 20% success rate with pins shorting. Spend the $10 get a JTAG cable from ebay. It is MUCH safer and is the prefered way to recover a bricked router.

anyway....I would suggest, TxDot, that you try to telnet into the router. Issue the commands to erase the nvram section of the flash chip.

erase nvram
reboot

This will "erase the flash" that you are talking about. It erases the nvram portion of the flash chip. (the section with your configuration....sometimes a bad parameter will hang things up...this will clear it) Then log back into the web gui and reconfigure...no backup/restore.

It does the same thing as a hard reset but without the reset button. (It is possible to disable the reset button so this and JTAG are the only methods to recover)

redhawk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
@redhawk
In my mind it was already destroyed, I could not figure out any other way to recover. But I take your point and bow to your much greater experience and expertise. I had no clue that GOD smiled on me that day.... *smile*
TxDot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
anyway....I would suggest, TxDot, that you try to telnet into the router. Issue the commands to erase the nvram section of the flash chip.

erase nvram
reboot

This will "erase the flash" that you are talking about. It erases the nvram portion of the flash chip. (the section with your configuration....sometimes a bad parameter will hang things up...this will clear it) Then log back into the web gui and reconfigure...no backup/restore.

It does the same thing as a hard reset but without the reset button. (It is possible to disable the reset button so this and JTAG are the only methods to recover)

redhawk

I have tried to telnet into the router and this is the result "Connecting To 192.168.1.1...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed". I believe this is because the firmware is Linksys and it doesn't open port 23. If the firmware was DD-WRT I think port 23 would be open. Correct?

I have ordered a JTAG cable off of eBay and will try that. I haven't done much soldering but I think I can do what is required to get the header soldered on.
jmh9072
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here, try to flash this image over the web interface. It has a header for flashing over the stock firmware on the WRT54GS.
Se7en is Darker...
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: